Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 18 May 2010 (Tuesday) 20:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ACR 5.7?

IngoEOS7D
77 posts
Joined Nov 2009
West Bloomfield, MI
May 18, 2010 20:56 |  #1

Hey Everyone,

Just for the hell of it I click on updates in PS CS4 and there was an availvable update for ACR...5.7. Downloading now but I was curious to know if anyone has tried or heard of it

Thanks.

Sam Ingesoulian
www.five22photography.​comexternal link
www.facebook.com/five2​2photography

Canon 6D, 7D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f4 L IS, Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 2.8 II EX APO DG HSM, Tokina ATX Pro 12-24 II, Canon 28-135 IS USM, Canon 50 1.8 Mk II, 430EX II SPEEDLITE

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Georgetown, Ky
May 18, 2010 21:28 |  #2

It's the latest and last update for CS4.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,347 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
May 19, 2010 04:02 |  #3

ACR 5.7 uses the new demosaicing algorithm developed for ACR 6.x, but without the rest of the processing features that accompany it in 6.0. The new demosaicer produces sharper and more detailed conversions but, inevitably, slightly more noise.
You may want to reduce your ACR capture sharpening by reducing Detail (maybe from the default 25 down to 15) or using a bit more Mask.

Elie / אלי

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,820 posts
Joined Sep 2009
May 19, 2010 06:42 |  #4

tzalman wrote in post #10207994external link
ACR 5.7 uses the new demosaicing algorithm developed for ACR 6.x, but without the rest of the processing features that accompany it in 6.0. The new demosaicer produces sharper and more detailed conversions but, inevitably, slightly more noise.
You may want to reduce your ACR capture sharpening by reducing Detail (maybe from the default 25 down to 15) or using a bit more Mask.

In my opinion the newer algorithm is better in terms of noise because the noise is rendered on a more pixel by pixel basis. Most people call this noise more "film-like" and I find that NR programs have a much easier time removing it than the "blocky" noise of older ACR.

Please visit my Flickrexternal link and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,347 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
May 19, 2010 06:45 |  #5

Agreed

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
May 19, 2010 08:02 |  #6

tzalman wrote in post #10207994external link
but without the rest of the processing features that accompany it in 6.0.

It will be able to read (and apply) those new settings (like adding film grain), but won't be able to alter them: http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10061239&postco​unt=13

I'm curious wether that means that using a text editor to edit the .xmp file gives me those new features... Hmmmm. Anyone with ACR6 or LR3 want to share an .xmp? ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,347 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
May 19, 2010 08:40 |  #7

I'm curious wether that means that using a text editor to edit the .xmp file gives me those new features... Hmmmm. Anyone with ACR6 or LR3 want to share an .xmp?

Download the free beta of LR3.

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
May 19, 2010 11:04 |  #8

tzalman wrote in post #10208864external link
Download the free beta of LR3.

Problem is I'd have to buy a new Mac: It won't run on a G5, or I'd have been using it for a few months now :p

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Jun 11, 2010 08:13 |  #9

The good news: It works! :)

http://www.getcolorman​aged.com/lightroom/hac​king-acr/external link

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link

sponsored links

3,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
ACR 5.7?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.