Thread started 21 May 2010 (Friday) 11:45   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Jim_T
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I live in the country and have a gravel driveway.. A couple of days ago I noticed a Killdeer pair paying close attention to some of the stones at a corner of the driveway.. They were taking turns rubbing their tummies on the ground... I took a rough shot out the window of them doing their thing.

Today I went out and see there is an egg. Darn.. Now I have to be careful not to run over it with my lawn tractor. Not only that, but every time I walk out the door, the birds start squawking loudly and flopping around doing the 'injured' act on my driveway to distract me from the nest. :)

It's not much of a nest.. Kildeers just lay their eggs on the ground......

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO

Post #1, May 21, 2010 11:45:44

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jim_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is the egg up close:

HOSTED PHOTO

Post #2, May 21, 2010 11:46:25

Stephen ­ Stephen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2005
6,273 posts
Nepean, ON, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice Jim. It sounds like you'll get to photograph the broken wing behaviour and possible the chick too.

Two years ago Dan Cadieux and I came across a kildeer nest amongst the ruins of a burnt down farm house. The next time that we went back however the eggs were gone.

Post #3, May 21, 2010 11:54:32

Stephen
Please check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​mexternal link

My Gear List

Jim_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Stephen Stephen wrote in post #10221860external link
Nice Jim. It sounds like you'll get to photograph the broken wing behaviour and possible the chick too.

Thanks.. Yes, I see the broken wing behavior every time I walk out the door.. I feel guilty making the bird do all that work :)

There are two eggs in the nest now.

Here's a shot of the 'wounded act' and the second egg... Hopefully I'll have chick photos to follow. I looked up the Killdeer gestation period and according to most wildlife sites, the eggs should hatch in ~28 days which will be mid to late June.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Post #4, May 23, 2010 11:24:47

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

Great shots Jim. I have still to find a nest, but there does seem to be more Killdeer around than since I was a kid. It's good to see.

Post #5, May 23, 2010 11:35:48

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RW123
Joined Jan 2008
474 posts
Western WA.
[MORE/SHARE]

Excellent shots Jim--those eggs blend in nicely with the rocks--isn't nature wonderful. Looking forward to the chick-ling shots.

Post #6, May 23, 2010 11:39:55

Rich
Gear List | My Flickrexternal link | My Picasaexternal link

Diamond ­ Lil
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2009
6,495 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I hope you will share more photos as the process continues. It will be a wonderful documentary!

Post #7, May 23, 2010 11:51:54

Wow do I have a lot to learn! The Chosen Spot, NY
50D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 1.4X III Extender, Flight Braceexternal link

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
2,338 posts
E Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

Great shots of the bird and eggs. I have them in my area and one pair made their nest almost on the gravel road in front of my home, I put large objects down to keep drivers from running over the nest like the mail delivery and my lawn mowing guy. They worked and once the eggs hatched they moved to safer places to rear the chicks.

Post #8, May 23, 2010 12:05:37 as a reply to Diamond Lil's post 13 minutes earlier.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Desertdarlene
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2010
15 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi! I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I stumbled upon this site from your post because I love killdeer and am hoping to get a good photo of them, soon, with a new lens. Great shots! I am hoping to see photos of the chicks. So far, I've had a little disappointment with killdeer nests this year and have not seen any chicks. Please keep us posted.

I'm surprised that there's only one egg, though. Most of the time they lay three or four.

Post #9, May 23, 2010 16:52:10

My birdy blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Killdeer nest in my yard
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES