Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #1
mckinleypics

Default Need advice for a friend

Hi,

I have a friend asking my advice on which camera to get. This will be a first DSLR for them but it sounds like he may have some film experience. Without getting as much info as I would have liked, I wrote a five page discussion for them about the differences between types of cameras and what cameras and lenses can do. At the very end of the letter, I recommended the T2i with the caveat that I really needed more info from them. She did say they wanted to use it for sports, kids, portraits, etc.

Here's the kicker - they got backed to me and decided on the T2i but later said that they couldn't find any and that they were going to go with the T1i instead because they are taking a trip to Yellowstone this weekend and had to hurry.

I replied back, recommending that they consider the 50D instead of the T1i, or perhaps renting a camera/lens for the trip and waiting until a T2i is available.

Is this good advice? I've never used a t1i or a t2i or a 50D. Thought I would get some info here quick as I'm sure they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off right now.

They also asked me what telephoto lens I recommended. This is like asking what car to buy. For the sake of brevity, I said the 70-200 f/4 was a great buy, but if I were headed to Yellowstone, I'd bring a wide-angle.

7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII

My Flickr
mckinleypics is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #2
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Need advice for a friend

Depends on whether they want video or not. 50D has some advantages for still work in ergonomics, build quality, and controls, but no video. I rarely recommend the rebel line for people who are serious but the new models are great cameras. As for telephoto you made a good suggestion if its within the budget. Wide angle is nice, but honestly there are lots of great landscapes to be made in Yellowstone with longer lenses as the mountains are in the distance from a lot of roads.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #3
Tommydigi
Goldmember

I got a chance to play around with a T2i and I must say I was very impressed. So impressed I am probably going to get myself one when I want to travel light.

Canon 5D2/60D/G15 24LII 50L 100L 135L 400L 40 STM 17-40 70-300L
Tommydigi is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #4
mckinleypics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Depends on whether they want video or not. 50D has some advantages for still work in ergonomics, build quality, and controls, but no video. I rarely recommend the rebel line for people who are serious but the new models are great cameras. As for telephoto you made a good suggestion if its within the budget. Wide angle is nice, but honestly there are lots of great landscapes to be made in Yellowstone with longer lenses as the mountains are in the distance from a lot of roads.
Great! Thanks! Does the T1i have video? I honestly don't use mine much on the 7D.

My Flickr
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #5
Tommydigi
Goldmember

Yes the T1i has video but the video on the T2i is better. I believe its closer to that of the 7D where the T1i is a bit limited. I think it only does 15fps at 1080 I am not certain but i am sure the T2i has some advantages here.

Canon 5D2/60D/G15 24LII 50L 100L 135L 400L 40 STM 17-40 70-300L
Tommydigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #6
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

I'm not sure I'd want to break in a brand new, unfamiliar camera 4 days after I bought it, on a trip to Yellowstone; but I'm a slow learner.
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #7
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Yes,

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_eos500d.asp
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #8
mckinleypics

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninmann View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to break in a brand new, unfamiliar camera 4 days after I bought it, on a trip to Yellowstone; but I'm a slow learner.
Me neither but since they have NO camera right now, they need to get one in their hands and start fiddling with it!

My Flickr
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #9
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Where is that "damn the manual, let me fiddle with it, damn the consequences " spirit? You sound almost commie to me
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #10
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Where is that "damn the manual, let me fiddle with it, damn the consequences " spirit? You sound almost commie to me
Yeah, I know; and a panty-waist as well .
Old 7th of June 2010 (Mon)   #11
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Yeah, I know; and a panty-waist as well .
Damn art photographers...
Old 12th of June 2010 (Sat)   #12
anthony11
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinleypics View Post
Me neither but since they have NO camera right now, they need to get one in their hands and start fiddling with it!
Amazon could have had whatever in their hands the next day. If they had to ask you what to buy, though, I wonder if they're really ready for a DSLR yet -- maybe an S90 would have been a better choice. That said, I would have recommended the 55-250 to a novice for tele -- good bang/buck, little to lose.
Old 12th of June 2010 (Sat)   #13
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Personally, I think the T2i is the way to go. I like the 18MP sensor in the T2i/7D over the 15mp sensor in the T1i/50D.

For landscapes, I think an ultrawide is a better lens than a telephoto zoom. But if they are looking at one, a 55-250IS is a good one. The 70-200mm f4L is a nice option as well but more expensive.

Having said that, if this is their first dslr, then I think any current dslr will be fine, as most entry level dslr's are pretty darn good.

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2010 (Sat)   #14
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Why View Post
Personally, I think the T2i is the way to go. I like the 18MP sensor in the T2i/7D over the 15mp sensor in the T1i/50D.
The T2i (550D) would be a good choice if you can find one for sale!
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2010 (Mon)   #15
mckinleypics

Problem solved. They found a T2i and bought a 70-200 F4 to go with it. Can't wait to see how they do with it. I'm too broke to get excited about my own purchases so I have to live vicariously through others!

My Flickr