T2i - how to lock both AE and FE, with flash on?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 00:00   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

s2kdriver80
Joined Jul 2009
412 posts
Long Island, New York, United States
[MORE/SHARE]

When I don't have my Speedlite (or built-in flash) activated and press the star button, I can lock ambient exposure, recompose, half-press the shutter to lock focus, then take the shot.

When I do have my Speedlite (or built-in flash) activated and press the star button, I can lock flash exposure, recompose, half-press the shutter to lock focus, then take the shot.

But what if I have the flash activated, and want to lock both ambient and flash exposures? Is this possible?

Post #1, Jun 15, 2010 00:00:23

-Paul

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,705 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

One way to accomplish this is to buy a camera with enough buttons to provide one for every function, like the 7D does. But since you now have a 550D, that's probably a bit too late.

Another option is to use One Shot AF with evaluative metering. In that case, AE lock (ambient) is implied as soon as you half-press the trigger button. But if you want to use spot metering, this doesn't work.
The last remaining option is fortunately one that often makes most sense when using a flash anyway, to set the camera to M and set the ambient exposure manually. Thus it's always locked, until you change it. FEL still works with the * button in this case.

Post #2, Jun 15, 2010 01:29:17

Anders

s2kdriver80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
412 posts
Long Island, New York, United States
[MORE/SHARE]

apersson850 wrote in post #10364013external link
One way to accomplish this is to buy a camera with enough buttons to provide one for every function, like the 7D does. But since you now have a 550D, that's probably a bit too late.

Another option is to use One Shot AF with evaluative metering. In that case, AE lock (ambient) is implied as soon as you half-press the trigger button. But if you want to use spot metering, this doesn't work.
The last remaining option is fortunately one that often makes most sense when using a flash anyway, to set the camera to M and set the ambient exposure manually. Thus it's always locked, until you change it. FEL still works with the * button in this case.

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about the M mode like you said, but hoping there was a "button" solution. ;) If I go to M, hover over an area I want to meter off, set the EC so that it's 0 (assuming I don't need to compensate for midtone) with the correct aperture/shutter, then move over to recompose, I guess that's the equivalent of locking with a button, right?

Also, does being in M mode (as opposed to Av) when using ETTL flash force me to change my flash shooting? I guess the only thing I have to worry about is turning HSS on if my shutter goes faster than 250? Don't know why HSS isn't smart enough to turn on automatically.

Post #3, Jun 15, 2010 07:27:26

-Paul

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i - how to lock both AE and FE, with flash on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES