Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 16 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Logo idea - seeking feedback

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 16, 2010 02:29 |  #1

Ok,here goes.

First off, this is just something I threw together to convey my idea. Even if everybody were to love it... which I seriously don't expect to happen... I would not use this as my final version. (Though it would be a better place holder than the place holder I'm using now.)

Second, This does deviate from the basically text-only variations that many seem to prefer. I want something just a tad more unique and distinguishable. I originally wanted a corn stalk where the windmill is, but decided a corn stalk would be too complicated and that a windmill would be more versatile and easier to identify.

Have at it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Jun 16, 2010 08:27 |  #2

boy, lots going on in your draft. Here are my thoughts:

1) People from IA know it's Iowa by the shape of the state. If your company name is Iowa Landscape Photography, the IOWA part looks more like a designation for the graphic of the outline state and NOT part of your company name. Very confusing.

2) Windmill is too busy and obviously made with .ppt lines. See if you can find a more abstract version to use, if you feel the need to keep it there.

3) If 'rural' is your target, I believe you're going in the right direction.

4) Font of IOWA is very legible, just not lending anything to 'photography' in my mind.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 03:18 |  #3

snyderman wrote in post #10371664external link
boy, lots going on in your draft. Here are my thoughts:

1) People from IA know it's Iowa by the shape of the state. If your company name is Iowa Landscape Photography, the IOWA part looks more like a designation for the graphic of the outline state and NOT part of your company name. Very confusing.

Agree people would recognize the state shape, but I want something a bit more than what is essentially a font-only oriented logo that too many people have.

2) Windmill is too busy and obviously made with .ppt lines. See if you can find a more abstract version to use, if you feel the need to keep it there.

This is a good example of just wanting to convey my idea. I actually drew this myself in AutoCAD and made the whole thing a jpg. I already had in mind to go with a more abstract or "artsy-but-still-simple" windmill. This is here just to show "hey, a windmill goes here" kind of thing.

3) If 'rural' is your target, I believe you're going in the right direction.

My site is primarily rural in focus, so that's good.

4) Font of IOWA is very legible, just not lending anything to 'photography' in my mind.

Not sure how to make it more 'photography'. If I had made the "O" in Iowa aperture blades people would have criticized that for being 'too photography' and 'cliche'.

That font was the best font I could find on the fly. I actually have something else in mind that is closely similar buy I need to find it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 03:47 |  #4

A slight variation popped inside my head...

nycgeo
36 posts
Joined Oct 2008
LIC, NYC
Jun 18, 2010 11:01 as a reply to photoguy6405's post |  #5

get rid of the state outline. Use the windmill only. You dont want to mix concepts, it makes things more confusing.

Canon 7D
Canon 24-105 f4L / Canon 50mm f1.4 / Canon 40mm f2.8
Canon S100
www.georgehermanphoto.​comexternal link
www.georgehermandesign​.com

Kleppy
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Jun 18, 2010 11:31 as a reply to nycgeo's post |  #6

You could ditch the legs and make the mill the "o" in IOWA.

http://www.kleppy-is-a-geek.comexternal link
Rebel XT
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 11:38 |  #7

nycgeo wrote in post #10385025external link
get rid of the state outline. Use the windmill only. You dont want to mix concepts, it makes things more confusing.

I could see losing the state outline, but to be honest I don't see how its presence makes anything confusing, or even mixes concepts. Could you expand on that a bit more, please?

Kleppy wrote in post #10385175external link
You could ditch the legs and make the mill the "o" in IOWA.

That gives me an idea...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 18, 2010 11:40 |  #8

For a business card logo, its not bad. To use on a watermark its too busy and would compete terribly with your image.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 11:58 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #10385232external link
For a business card logo, its not bad. To use on a watermark its too busy and would compete terribly with your image.

I was planning on using whatever I come up with for business cards and and the website (upper left corner of each page). I was thinking just a simple opaque strip with the name (or url) and copyright symbol for watermarking.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 11:59 |  #10

Here's the latest idea I just had. I would keep the windmill legs, as I think it would be potentially unrecognizable without them, whereas with them it seems pretty obvious.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 18, 2010 12:01 |  #11

How about IOWA on a flat line and allow the legs to dangle behind landscape photography? It would be more compact.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 12:06 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #10385358external link
How about IOWA on a flat line and allow the legs to dangle behind landscape photography? It would be more compact.

Sounds possible. I could play with that.

I had thought about having the legs to the left of "Landscape Photography", but that also pushed the "I" too far to the left and made it awkward looking.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 18, 2010 12:07 |  #13

photoguy6405 wrote in post #10385377external link
Sounds possible. I could play with that.

I had thought about having the legs to the left of "Landscape Photography", but that also pushed the "I" too far to the left and made it awkward looking.

Are you wed to 1 color? If so try graying the windmill so that the legs dont compete for attention if they hang down into the other print.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jun 18, 2010 12:11 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #10385388external link
Are you wed to 1 color? If so try graying the windmill so that the legs dont compete for attention if they hang down into the other print.

Not necessarily wed to one color, though I do want to keep it simple, and thus (hopefully) versatile.

You just gave me another idea, but I'm heading out the door in a few minutes and will have to try it when I get back.

g0ldenb0y55
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010
SoCal
Jun 18, 2010 12:37 |  #15

Here's a quick idea.

IMAGE: http://coramdeostudios.com/Jpegs/logo_ILP.jpg

Canon 5D MKII Gripped | Canon 40D Gripped | Canon 20D Gripped |
50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 | 100mm 2.8 Macro | 24-105mm 4L | Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG | Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM |

sponsored links

2,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
Logo idea - seeking feedback
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.