Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 15 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 18:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shot my baby sis :)

pinoyplaya
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jun 15, 2010 18:17 |  #1

Took pics of her... just a couple though. Gonna do a a family shooting this weekend.

CC please then I can learn from it for editing the shots I will be taking this weekend.

Thanks

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

The numbers 1 and 3 I wanted to get a sunset look. I know the 4th one is OOF. I focused on the shirt instead of the eye :(

flickrexternal linkCanon EOS 1D Mark III & WTB Canon 6D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580 EX II

sponsored links
DocMike
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Jun 17, 2010 01:19 |  #2

I think she just needs to be better lit, in general. You can't see her eyes in any of the pictures. The whites of her eyes are dark, and there are no catchlights. Reflector or fill-flash needed.

In #2, light was not your friend - light is mottled. There are hot-spots on her cheeks, while the rest of the skin has a gray-ish cast to it. I would guess she was underneath a tree or something, and the light coming between the leaves was wreaking havoc with getting nice, even light.

If you don't have time to get a flash, and to get it off-camera, then you need to take into consideration the lighting around you and perhaps get a large reflector. People say that foamcore works well, but I have no idea what that is. ;) I like to use a collapsable circular silver reflector, the kind that you put in your car windshield - those should be easy enough to find. :)

More equipment than ability: 40D
EF 17-35 f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 200 f/2.8L II

pinoyplaya
THREAD ­ STARTER
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jun 17, 2010 02:05 |  #3

Thanks you! I will definitely do better on the lighting part.

dragontail
125 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Houston, TX
Jun 23, 2010 12:35 |  #4

what lens used ?

Canon 5D MKII
35mm f/1.4 L
70-200mm f/4 IS L
FEEDBACK on POTN

pinoyplaya
THREAD ­ STARTER
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jun 23, 2010 20:56 |  #5

dragontail wrote in post #10413371external link
what lens used ?

70-200 f/4L

Joect541
80 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Joplin, Mo.
Jun 25, 2010 09:28 |  #6

I agree on the lighting of the eyes, but I will say I really like the light/shadow pattern on the face in #2.

Happy shooting! Joe

30D, 430ex, Kit Lens, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon S3 IS

pinoyplaya
THREAD ­ STARTER
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jun 25, 2010 15:08 |  #7

Joect541 wrote in post #10424649external link
I agree on the lighting of the eyes, but I will say I really like the light/shadow pattern on the face in #2.

Thank you! I really like that shot as well... in fact, its one my favorites since the photo turned out very sharp.

I also just purchased the 580EX II to help with the lighting on bright conditions. It has yet to arrive so I have a lot of researching to do to get myself ready and prepared once it gets here. Should I like the results I get, I might purchase a couple 430EX II for slaves and diffusers and such.... get into strobe photography.

ktmac111581
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Jul 03, 2010 12:45 as a reply to pinoyplaya's post |  #8

Go to the dollar store get a piece of foam board, some aluminum foil and some glue. Cover the foam board in foil and place it at her feet while your shooting (but out of the shot of course) you'll get some awesome catchlights and some nice light on her face. I did this when I took some pictures of the kids at school and it worked REALLY well!

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Northeast Georgia, U.S.
Jul 03, 2010 23:16 |  #9

Also your composition seems to a bit edge heavy, in that parts of the body allways go off the edge of the frame. This works in many cases but you have to be careful, I am the world's worst about cutting off hands which has costed me a few great shots in the past, but of course with cropping you can usually get something usable back, but it's just something to keep in mind.

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

pinoyplaya
THREAD ­ STARTER
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jul 06, 2010 17:47 |  #10

Here's a couple I just did recently. Let me know what you guys think and any tips :)

Thanks

Hm.... I can't seem to link the photos directly to this page using flickr. They changed it and now I don't know how to get the direct link of the image.

But here's the flickr link anyway which can also be found on my signature.

http://www.flickr.com ...4769542198/in/photo​stream (external link)

Edit: Okay figured it out. Here they are :)

New to flash... so any tips would be greatly appreciated. These shots were overexposed by at least a stop on the final image so I had to compensate on lightroom :)

and as far as the white balance goes, I used the white on the eye as a reference and adjusted it in lightroom... which added natural colors on the skin and I did some minor adjustments on them.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,596 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Jul 06, 2010 18:49 |  #11

The 2nd batch seems much better. The flash is hot in the last shot, like you mention, you can adjust it with FEC.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

photographyguy
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 06, 2010 19:22 |  #12

very nice pics.

Flash photography is basically another body in photography altogether :) It requires practice and a constant add

to knowledge for it to be properly used seriously and professionally. Because you can rotate the

external flash, the light can be bounced off in different walls and directions (illuminating the subject at the top, side or front), providing a different

effect to the subject all the time.

How To Photographyexternal link

pinoyplaya
THREAD ­ STARTER
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Jul 06, 2010 19:46 |  #13

Thanks :) I agree, the third one has too much flash. LCD screen gave me a different result hehe showing that the image was exposed properly. I guess I should rely on the histogram instead... havent really paid attention to that hehe.

Im still learning and hoping I will improve as time goes on. Flash photography is complicated but I know that it is rewarding once mastered :) Practice makes perfect. As you can see from comparing the first and second batch, I have to agree that the second batch is much better than the first :)

sponsored links

3,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot my baby sis :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.