Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 18 Jun 2010 (Friday) 11:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Decent portfolio?

Kleppy
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Jun 18, 2010 11:01 |  #1

I've been contemplating trying to check off an item on my bucket list.
That item is selling 5 full print/framed photos at a Gallery.

Does my "portfolio" do a good job of presenting/selling my work? Is it's layout OK?
http://www.kleppy-is-a-geek.com/portfolio.htm​lexternal link

Am I right for not including a link back to the main site? I have other photos there but I don't consider them part of my main selection.

Any insight on the page or my work is appreciated.

PM me if you want to buy anything!:lol::lol:

http://www.kleppy-is-a-geek.comexternal link
Rebel XT
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Kleppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Jun 27, 2010 16:32 |  #2

no one has ANYTHING to say?

I'd keep my day job but they just laid me off. :lol: oh well.

http://www.kleppy-is-a-geek.comexternal link
Rebel XT
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Folsom, California
Jun 27, 2010 18:00 |  #3

I took a scan through, here are my thoughts. It doesn't at all say "I have photos to buy", to me. You have many photos in there that are personal shots, presumably of friends and family, or otherwise aren't the type of photos I'd expect to be able to sell. If you're putting together a stack of photos you want to put in a gallery and sell, I think I'd find a focus area or two, and start specializing a bit, and looking at your current shots with a critical eye as to what might be interesting to customers.

Regarding your site, the domain kind of screams out "I'm an internet geek" as opposed to "I'm a photographer" :)

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
"Always available to shoot your dog"

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jun 27, 2010 18:58 |  #4

You need galleries set up with various themes. I don't see any prices or print sizes available. You want to post some of your best work if you want to sell. Leave out the family shots of grandpa skating with the granddaughter and so on.

You want people to see your work and go, "****, this guy can burn a picture." Average stuff of blades of grass, kids shooting a hockey puck into the net doesn't cut it. If you want to shoot family outtings then those would be in that section, but to sell some of your custom images then you present your best work forsale.

My two-cents. Also, all the flash isn't necessary. Just the basic html website with easy to find images, information, and navigation is all you need.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.comexternal link

DerekMartinezPhotography
86 posts
Joined Oct 2009
CA / TN
Jul 01, 2010 16:17 |  #5

It looks good, but I would try and narrow your portfolio down to 15-30 images.

Websiteexternal link
Blogexternal link

1,204 views & 0 likes for this thread
Decent portfolio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.