Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of July 2010 (Sun)   #1
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop

Default Suggestions for video converting software

Hi,

I have ripped all my dvd collection to vobs for backup and ease of use and now, I'm almost out of disk space and really want to claim some of that back for photos. What would be the best format to convert these files to (mpeg, avi....) and could someone recommend a tool for the conversion? Free is possible.

Tnx

My blog site
My Gear List
My Flickr
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2010 (Sun)   #2
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Default Re: Suggestions for video converting software

I use Handbrake, but if you haven't removed the copyright then it won't work. Movies are anywhere from 3-9GB and if you want to match that quality in Handbrake files will be 1.5-2.9GB. You could go smaller, but it will start to really harm quality. The really good thing I like about Handbrake (besides being free) is that you have a lot of control over the video and it has a queue so it can work at night while you sleep.

If you want my settings for HandBrake I'll be happy to provide them. Oh, one last thing. If you want to tag your files with all the movie data look into MetaX - it's also free.
Old 11th of July 2010 (Sun)   #3
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Suggestions for video converting software

Many thanks. I'll give that a try. It would be great if you could pm me your settings

My blog site
My Gear List
My Flickr
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member