Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 18 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 04:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Show us the motion of your water !

lostid
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Oct 2008
22° 08' 22" N / 127° 51' 29" W
Jul 18, 2010 04:12 |  #1

I start with one taken today. One day I will be back to this place for a sunrise shot.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4803618189_3375792b0a_b.jpg

flickrexternal link & Gear

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 18, 2010 07:55 |  #2

Looks good. If you do go back, try to capture more (all if you can) of the rock that's on the right side of the frame.

I'll play...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

lostid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Oct 2008
22° 08' 22" N / 127° 51' 29" W
Jul 18, 2010 14:59 |  #3

Thanks argyle. I love the shot and nice composition.

flickrexternal link & Gear

ETERNAL
272 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jul 18, 2010 15:55 |  #4

This was my first attempt at the flowing water look. Unfortunately it was handheld, and to bright for a longer exposure. Do people use ND filters for daytime long exposures?

IMAGE: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick120580/Guam/July2010/534eb7d4.jpg

Canon 7D...28-135mm IS...70-300mm...and a desire for a lot more...with a wallet that does not fit that desire...

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 18, 2010 16:48 as a reply to ETERNAL's post |  #5

To answer your question...yes. An ND filter is one of the tools that could be needed from time to time when shooting waterfalls (with a polarizer being pretty much mandatory). But your shot is fine as is with regard to shutter speed...no need for the ND filter here. The only thing I would change on yours (well, at least for your next time) would be to use a polarizing filter...this will enrich the foliage, help you to 'see' below the surface of the water, as well as remove/enhance reflections (it will also do double-duty as 2-stop ND filter, giving you two benefits). Doesn't appear that you used one for this shot as evidenced by the reflections/glare on the rock surfaces, or if you did, not enough polarization was dialed in. Just tip for your next waterfall outing.

GEAR LIST

RDHPhotography
626 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 18, 2010 16:59 as a reply to argyle's post |  #6

Mathiessen State Park......right near Starved Rock State Park in Illinois

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/3790074501_2fbd69c900_b.jpg

ETERNAL
272 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jul 18, 2010 16:59 |  #7

argyle wrote in post #10559647external link
To answer your question...yes. An ND filter is one of the tools that could be needed from time to time when shooting waterfalls (with a polarizer being pretty much mandatory). But your shot is fine as is with regard to shutter speed...no need for the ND filter here. The only thing I would change on yours (well, at least for your next time) would be to use a polarizing filter...this will enrich the foliage, help you to 'see' below the surface of the water, as well as remove/enhance reflections (it will also do double-duty as 2-stop ND filter, giving you two benefits). Doesn't appear that you used one for this shot as evidenced by the reflections/glare on the rock surfaces, or if you did, not enough polarization was dialed in. Just tip for your next waterfall outing.

Thank you for the tips. This is the first time I have really seen it explained (in terms I understand) of what the benefits of a polarizer are. I do not own one, and am not the type to just buy equipment because others suggest it (without explaining why). But you have definitely shown me WHY one is needed, so it WILL BE my next purchase. If you could recommend exactly what I need, I would appreciate it.

Canon 7D...28-135mm IS...70-300mm...and a desire for a lot more...with a wallet that does not fit that desire...

ETERNAL
272 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jul 18, 2010 17:08 |  #8

Another from the same day. Again handheld:

IMAGE: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick120580/Guam/July2010/3fd84c8b.jpg

ady.space
431 posts
Joined Aug 2009
midlands uk
Jul 18, 2010 17:23 as a reply to ETERNAL's post |  #9

ace photos peps, here is one i took at hastings in the uk >

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4678475957_3bbbeb7b98.jpg

canon d6,canon d1000(modded) canon 200mm f/2.8,canon 20mm f/2.8, canon 50mm f/1.8 samyang 14mm f/2.8, carl ziess 35mm f/2.4

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 18, 2010 17:52 |  #10

ETERNAL wrote in post #10559712 (external link)
Thank you for the tips. This is the first time I have really seen it explained (in terms I understand) of what the benefits of a polarizer are. I do not own one, and am not the type to just buy equipment because others suggest it (without explaining why). But you have definitely shown me WHY one is needed, so it WILL BE my next purchase. If you could recommend exactly what I need, I would appreciate it.

Not a problem...if you wanted to limit yourself to a single filter, a good polarizer should be the one to have due to its versatility. Unless conditions are very bright, you can usually get by without an ND filter if you have a good polarizer, shoot with a low ISO, and a fairly small aperture...these combinations will usually let you get a slow shutter speed to get the silky water look.

In this shot below, the polarizer helped to capture the sunlight reflections from the surrounding cliffs on the water surfaces...I just dialed in enough polarization to really pull them out. Also, on the lower right side, you can see the rocks that are just below the surface of the water...these wouldn't have been visible without the polarizer. One thing to watch out for though when using fairly long exposures...the whitewater will sometimes gather the blue light from the sky, turning it a blue shade. I haven't corrected this yet in the image, but it does happen on occasion.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

GEAR LIST

ETERNAL
272 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jul 18, 2010 18:16 |  #11

Thank you. Sorry to be jacking this thread.
I take it this is what I need for my 28-135...a tad more than I want to spend, but will if it will help:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...2mm_Linear_Polarize​r.htmlexternal link

JAntonio777
519 posts
Joined May 2009
Seoul, South Korea
Jul 18, 2010 18:33 as a reply to ETERNAL's post |  #12

Last week in Pukansan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 50D, EF24-105MM

mwalsh9152
388 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Wakefield, Ma
Jul 18, 2010 18:50 |  #13

these were taken somewhere near Greenfield NH. Mid day, decent cloud cover, with a CPL

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4735623758_f2690121af_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4735619236_345049f98f_b.jpg

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jul 18, 2010 19:05 |  #14

ETERNAL wrote in post #10560028external link
Thank you. Sorry to be jacking this thread.
I take it this is what I need for my 28-135...a tad more than I want to spend, but will if it will help:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...2mm_Linear_Polarize​r.htmlexternal link

No, that's a linear polarizer...you'll want a circular polarizer (but you did pick the right brand). They're a bit more expensive than what you linked. They are expensive, but well worth it. This is a link to the correct filter. There are other less expensive brands, such as Hoya and Marumi...you just need to search around:

B&H Linkexternal link

For a better price, try this one: Maxsaver Linkexternal link

GEAR LIST

JAntonio777
519 posts
Joined May 2009
Seoul, South Korea
Jul 18, 2010 19:08 as a reply to argyle's post |  #15

This one from Sydney

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 50D, EF24-105MM

sponsored links

261,819 views & 1458 likes for this thread
Show us the motion of your water !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.