Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jul 2010 (Monday) 01:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I've pulled the trigger ... and OMG!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2010 22:35 |  #31

There is the 400mm f/4 DO.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
SiaoP
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 20, 2010 05:31 |  #32

The 400 DO is bloody expensive for what it is...

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 20, 2010 09:17 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

SiaoP wrote in post #10569434 (external link)
The 400 DO is bloody expensive for what it is...

Even the 400L F5.6 has better IQ. Save up for that 500L I tell you...:) Look at the bright side, the Nikon equivalent costs $8000....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

RaptorMan
197 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 20, 2010 11:22 |  #34

Afield wrote in post #10567997 (external link)
That's awesome. Congrats.

Too bad my wife would divorce me if I bought one.

I snuck mine in under-the-wire (2 months before wedding). Don't tell my wife but there were a few moments on the honeymoon when i was dreaming about my other baby.

Congratulations...enjo​y it in good health.

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 20, 2010 18:03 |  #35

The 500mm is a life goal for me. I've given my self 10 years or less to get one. Yep I know a long time, but I have a lot of traveling to do. It's certainly a lens that has a rock solid reputation.

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 20, 2010 18:04 |  #36

nice shots. tack sharp

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

roywsmith
24 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 20, 2010 18:22 as a reply to  @ thrash_273's post |  #37

Very sharp photos, and hand held to boot. Well done. Congratulations on the purchase.
I see that the Kingfisher photo was 1/400 sec and the Grebe 1/2700 sec.
Your doing great handholding but I see a monopod in your future, if you don't already have one.
Roy

garyark
58 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 20, 2010 18:27 |  #38

Take lots of pix and have fun.

Gary in Arkansas
5D + 40D & Other Stuff

Bonish ­ Photo
77 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 20, 2010 19:03 as a reply to  @ garyark's post |  #39

Congrats on the new lens, you'l be in love with it from here on out. We pondered over which lens to get for months and months and finally decided on the 400 f/2.8 on the logic that we could add the 1.4x or the 2x and still have auto-focus and be at a useable f-stop for somewhat lowlight.

After dropping the bomb on that purchase, I wish we would have gone with the 500 f/4

Now my husband swears by the 400 f/2.8 which has become his go-to lens when shooting wildlife, events and birds.

While we were in Yellowstone last season, we were able to use a friends 500 f/4 IS as much as we wanted and I totally fell in love with it

IMAGE: http://everymilesamemory.smugmug.com/Yellowstone-National-Park/Yellowstone-National-Park-2/P6160021/568710664_zBfFX-L-1.jpg

Although I couldnt hand hold it for more than a few shots, its amazing how much lighter it is than it seems like it would be. It's just really balanced well for how long it is. Pair it with a WImberley and you'll be in heaven!

Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com (external link)
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
Bonish Photo (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 20, 2010 21:33 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

Bonish Photo wrote in post #10573647 (external link)
Congrats on the new lens, you'l be in love with it from here on out. We pondered over which lens to get for months and months and finally decided on the 400 f/2.8 on the logic that we could add the 1.4x or the 2x and still have auto-focus and be at a useable f-stop for somewhat lowlight.

After dropping the bomb on that purchase, I wish we would have gone with the 500 f/4

Now my husband swears by the 400 f/2.8 which has become his go-to lens when shooting wildlife, events and birds.

While we were in Yellowstone last season, we were able to use a friends 500 f/4 IS as much as we wanted and I totally fell in love with it

Although I couldnt hand hold it for more than a few shots, its amazing how much lighter it is than it seems like it would be. It's just really balanced well for how long it is. Pair it with a WImberley and you'll be in heaven!

Yes, if the main purpose is shooting wild life, the whole idea of more "utilitarian purpose of a 400L F2.8" would not make sense in the real world. First, you would never switch on and off to converter on the fly just because let's say a bear was getting too close. In fact, you don't want to get too close to begin with. You don't have time to switch to either a 1.4x or 2x converter. Either you put it first before you shoot or you don't. I am pretty sure the converter would be on the lens most of the time. So, you are shooting at 560mm at F4, versus with a 700mm (500L + converter) at F5.6. The 400L would make sense if you shoot motorsports or sports in general and maybe once in a while shooting some wild life.

Facebook (external link)

Rayne
79 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 20, 2010 22:07 |  #41

Grats on the purchase! It's going to be a long while before I can pull that trigger. :)

Gear List | Flickr (external link)

Bonish ­ Photo
77 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 21, 2010 08:45 |  #42

TooManyShots wrote in post #10574312 (external link)
The 400L would make sense if you shoot motorsports or sports in general and maybe once in a while shooting some wild life.

Most of our jobs are Event Coverage, so this was the reason for the 400L

Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com (external link)
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
Bonish Photo (external link)

Tim_L
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 21, 2010 15:29 |  #43

Congrat on the purchase! that's my dream lens. I have been eyeing the 500mm for a long time. I too have the 100-400 which I bought 10 years ago. It's a bit soft at the 400mm when wide open. I rented the 400 DO a month ago and I liked it but I wish for a little more reach. Renting a 500mm F/4 IS and a wimberley II next week and see how it goes for BIF. Do you guys think Canon will come out with a new supertele this year?

Canon 5Dmk2, 7D, 16-35 L II, 28-70L, 85L II, 100 macro, 100-400, 1.4X II, 550EX, Gitzo 1325, Arca Swiss B1, RRS BH-55, Pentax 67

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 21, 2010 15:39 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

Tim_L wrote in post #10578710 (external link)
Congrat on the purchase! that's my dream lens. I have been eyeing the 500mm for a long time. I too have the 100-400 which I bought 10 years ago. It's a bit soft at the 400mm when wide open. I rented the 400 DO a month ago and I liked it but I wish for a little more reach. Renting a 500mm F/4 IS and a wimberley II next week and see how it goes for BIF. Do you guys think Canon will come out with a new supertele this year?

No....:)

Facebook (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 21, 2010 15:53 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Wow. a $6k lens. nice!!!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links

6,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
I've pulled the trigger ... and OMG!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.