Lightroom3 Flickr Publishing Service & Sets??

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 14:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

rickp1
Joined Apr 2009
513 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I just finished setting up LR3 publishing service so it's a simple few clicks to upload my images to Flickr.

The one part I can't seem to figure out how to do is to upload the images into a specific collection or set from LR. And BTW what is the difference between those 2, sets and collections?

I'm hoping I don't have to upload the images, then create a set and move the images. If it can all be done from the get go, it would be great.

R.

Post #1, Aug 25, 2010 14:44:44

Canon 5DMkII | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have exactly the same question. Hopefully someone can answer this for us.

Post #2, Sep 07, 2010 02:04:42

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Photoblogexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Tiger_993
Joined Apr 2007
551 posts
Minneapolis, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

rickp1 wrote in post #10786796external link
The one part I can't seem to figure out how to do is to upload the images into a specific collection or set from LR.

Have you taken a look at Jeffrey Friedl's LR to flickr publishing plugin? http://regex.info ...om-goodies/flickr/publishexternal link

That's what I use, as opposed to the stock flickr publishing service that ships with LR3. Jeffrey's plugin has a feature that allows you to create a new "publish collection" in LR and simultaneously choose which set(s) and/or group pool(s) you want that publish collection to publish to in flickr. He has a very comprehensive user manual for the plugin which you can find on the page I liked to above.

rickp1 wrote in post #10786796external link
And BTW what is the difference between those 2, sets and collections?

A set is a group of individual photos on flickr. A collection is a group of sets. You would typically use collections to further organize your sets. For example, if you had a set that contained images of family, another set that had images of strangers, and another set that had images friends, you could create a single collection called "People" that contained each of these three sets.

Post #3, Sep 07, 2010 07:47:57

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
513 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks.
I learned that when you create the photostream in LR, that IS the set that is created.

R.

Post #4, Sep 07, 2010 13:19:07

troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tiger_993 wrote in post #10864100external link
Have you taken a look at Jeffrey Friedl's LR to flickr publishing plugin? http://regex.info ...om-goodies/flickr/publishexternal link

That's what I use, as opposed to the stock flickr publishing service that ships with LR3. Jeffrey's plugin has a feature that allows you to create a new "publish collection" in LR and simultaneously choose which set(s) and/or group pool(s) you want that publish collection to publish to in flickr. He has a very comprehensive user manual for the plugin which you can find on the page I liked to above....

I've been using that plugin. I figured out how to successfully get LR to set the Title and Caption for images, but not how to tell it what FlickR Sets or Collections I want it to go to.

Tips/pointers?

Post #5, Sep 07, 2010 14:41:37

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Photoblogexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

Never mind. Figured it out.

Post #6, Sep 07, 2010 19:52:49

gotglade
Joined Apr 2010
306 posts
San Rafael, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

How do you do it? I was waiting for an answer...haha.

Post #7, Sep 07, 2010 20:54:16

Glade

troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

D'oh. Sorry about that.

Assume you have the "jf Flickr" plugin installed and working? Can publish to Flickr no worries?

I just had the default "Flickr photostream" at first. What you have to do is right-click on either "jf Flickr" or the "Flickr photostream" and select "Create Flickr Publish Collection". The name is deceptive/incorrect - it should be "Create Flickr Publish Set" because it is actually telling LR what Flickr Sets to publish to, not Flickr Collections. From memory the first time you try it the list of available sets from your Flickr aren't there, so there's a button to click to retrieve them. You'll get a message pop up that you have to close and re-open that dialog box. Do that. Then just create one to match each Flickr Set you have.

That's what I did, anyway.

Post #8, Sep 07, 2010 22:32:47

gotglade
Joined Apr 2010
306 posts
San Rafael, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks! I've always wondered about this.

Post #9, Sep 07, 2010 23:06:46

Glade

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
513 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You can add image Title and other information by including that info in the IPTC panels of LR.

R.

Post #10, Sep 08, 2010 07:27:17

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
2,498 posts
Philaburbia
[MORE/SHARE]

unlike the 3rd party plug in. you have to drag the image(s) into the publishing services area and then export. stinks.

my facebook folder (for exporting) has defaulted to a specific folder that I didn't specify. and I can't change it, anyone know how to change it?

Post #11, Sep 08, 2010 13:37:53

POTN BAG Reviews, master list!
5D3, 70D, 16-35Lii, 24-70Lii, 50L, 135L

sponsored links
rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
513 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

try clicking on the + and choosing show publish service icons.

R.

Post #12, Sep 08, 2010 14:06:03

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
2,498 posts
Philaburbia
[MORE/SHARE]

rickp1 wrote in post #10872729external link
try clicking on the + and choosing show publish service icons.

R.

I OWE YOU ONE, THANK YOU! :)

Post #13, Sep 08, 2010 14:42:12

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
2,498 posts
Philaburbia
[MORE/SHARE]

I remember seeing a DPI setting in flickr export (3rd party jeffrey ****). in the native flickr export on lr3, no dpi setting?

Post #14, Sep 08, 2010 14:44:54

troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

The J Friedl Flickr publish is far more powerful and feature-rich than the stock LR one. Much better to use it. You won't be sorry.

Post #15, Sep 08, 2010 16:22:05

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,981 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom3 Flickr Publishing Service & Sets??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES