Cheap Photographers Only Kill Themselves, Not The Industry.

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 10 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 03:33   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I think that proved Digital had nothing to do with crappy cheap photographers..... :)

Post #106, Oct 14, 2010 22:57:42

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #11099726external link
I think that proved Digital had nothing to do with crappy cheap photographers..... :)

bw!

Post #107, Oct 14, 2010 23:28:19

Jim
f o t o w o r xexternal link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
32,489 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #11099726external link

It just proves there have and always will be crappy photographers. The ease of digital has just made a lot more of them. Like I said earlier there have been more photographs made in the last eight years than all two dimensional work including paintings in history up until that point yet we see so little really great work in relationship to how much more is being produced. I think there is a lot more crap out there just because of the shear numbers of photographers now.

And are these low end crappy photographers a threat to the wedding industry? You bet, if you are a photographer that hasn't positioned yourself correctly. In any area of photography you need to be able to bring something to the table the herd can't bring and you need to figure out what that is. Look at your work. Does it look like every other photographers work that is in your field? If it does look like everyone elses then why would a client pick you over someone that is cheaper?

Post #108, Oct 15, 2010 07:33:21

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

And are these low end crappy photographers a threat to the wedding industry? You bet, if you are a photographer that hasn't positioned yourself correctly. In any area of photography you need to be able to bring something to the table the herd can't bring and you need to figure out what that is. Look at your work. Does it look like every other photographers work that is in your field? If it does look like everyone elses then why would a client pick you over someone that is cheaper?

Well, there is that "market education" thing also called "marketing" to consider. We can frequently raise the level of desire at the same time we bring more to the table.

Back in the 70s, there was no "senior photography" market in the US. Now it's the staple product for many photographers. That very lucrative market was created (like designer jeans) from nearly nothing by deliberate marketing to make the public aware and desirous of a higher level of product available to them. This is the opposite of the concept of, "If the public wants schlock, give them schlock."

Post #109, Oct 15, 2010 08:30:56 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 57 minutes earlier.

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,116 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11101219external link
Like I said earlier there have been more photographs made in the last eight years than all two dimensional work including paintings in history up until that point yet we see so little really great work in relationship to how much more is being produced. I think there is a lot more crap out there just because of the sheer numbers of photographers now.

They are the Black Death before the Renaissance.

Post #110, Oct 15, 2010 08:46:54

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,489 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #11101526external link

It will take some time to weed out the riff-raff. But it will be good once they get weeded and there is light at the end of tunnel. I'm seeing some return to sanity in the my area as we speak. ;) I do think in the wedding industry though unless you've positioned yourself correctly its gonna be very, very black for a while. We'll see how many are still standing in 5 years.

Post #111, Oct 15, 2010 08:52:40

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

People who look down on low quality photography are going about it all wrong. They should not want rid of it but rather be thankful it exists, because it underscores their superior quality. Without this low end work out there, they would be average...or even the low quality themselves.

If anything, all that junk people get used to seeing makes my stuff look even more amazing and easier to sell.

Post #112, Oct 15, 2010 10:05:06

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11101219external link
It just proves there have and always will be crappy photographers. The ease of digital has just made a lot more of them. Like I said earlier there have been more photographs made in the last eight years than all two dimensional work including paintings in history up until that point yet we see so little really great work in relationship to how much more is being produced. I think there is a lot more crap out there just because of the shear numbers of photographers now.

I don't think there are more photographers at all, we just have flickr now so everyone can post their stuff for the world to see and we have craigslist where anyone can post a free ad for cheap services. It's just the internet that has made this all visible. It is just like the news. It seems like more horrible things are happening in the world now, but really it is just that we hear about every single bad thing now instantly.

Post #113, Oct 15, 2010 10:09:17

Taylor

tjames
Joined Jun 2010
261 posts
Metro Detroit
[MORE/SHARE]

cdifoto wrote in post #11101963external link
If anything, all that junk people get used to seeing makes my stuff look even more amazing and easier to sell.

Exactly

Post #114, Oct 15, 2010 10:10:31

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,489 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

cdifoto wrote in post #11101963external link
People who look down on low quality photography are going about it all wrong. They should not want rid of it but rather be thankful it exists, because it underscores their superior quality. Without this low end work out there, they would be average...or even the low quality themselves.

Agree low quality only makes those that are doing good work look that much better to those matter. The client you should be pursuing and the client you already have. The market is going to weed out the riff-raff eventually. Like I said earlier I am starting to see a change for the good in my area. In weddings and areas easily accessible to anyone with a camera its gonna remain bump for a while.

Post #115, Oct 15, 2010 10:11:39

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,530 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #11101526external link

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11101547external link
It will take some time to weed out the riff-raff. But it will be good once they get weeded and there is light at the end of tunnel. I'm seeing some return to sanity in the my area as we speak.

This makes you guys sounds so elitist I almost can't take anything you have to say seriously. I think the Renaissance is happening around you and you are too set in your ways to recognize it. Is there a lot of mediocre photography out there? Sure. But there is so much top notch stuff going on that blows away anything from the past. I would argue that there is more quality photographers on the planet than ever before and they keep getting better.

Post #116, Oct 15, 2010 10:14:15

Taylor

sponsored links
tjames
Joined Jun 2010
261 posts
Metro Detroit
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #11102016external link
This makes you guys sounds so elitist I almost can't take anything you have to say seriously. I think the Renaissance is happening around you and you are too set in your ways to recognize it. Is there a lot of mediocre photography out there? Sure. But there is so much top notch stuff going on that blows away anything from the past. I would argue that there is more quality photographers on the planet than ever before and they keep getting better.

I'm with you on that one, but I've found, that in most business settings those the most vocal and quick to judge/complain/point fingers are usually the ones hurting and suffering the most. The others are too busy running their businesses to be so preoccupied with things they cannot change. But as with everything there are always exceptions..

Post #117, Oct 15, 2010 10:19:42

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,489 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

tjames wrote in post #11102048external link
I'm with you on that one, but I've found, that in most business settings those the most vocal and quick to judge/complain/point fingers are usually the ones hurting and suffering the most. The others are too busy running their businesses to be so preoccupied with things they cannot change. But as with everything there are always exceptions..

Again we'll see how many are still around in 5 years. How many are supporting their families and making a decent income doing it?

If being smart and positioning one self to be in a position where GWCs are not the competition is elitist then thanks. I'll take that. The photographers that are going to be successful moving forward and those that change, have the vision and talent to position themselves so that all these changes are not as much of an issue for them. I've seen'm come go. In fact I would guess 80% of new photography business (full time) will fail.

I've been successful because of change and will continue to evolve and change. My business is still growing and has been slowly and steadily for the past 10 years with a bit of a down tick in 02 being the only exception.

Post #118, Oct 15, 2010 10:40:30

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11101995external link
Agree low quality only makes those that are doing good work look that much better to those matter. The client you should be pursuing and the client you already have. The market is going to weed out the riff-raff eventually. Like I said earlier I am starting to see a change for the good in my area. In weddings and areas easily accessible to anyone with a camera its gonna remain bump for a while.

You're missing the point. The riff raff should NOT be weeded out.

Post #119, Oct 15, 2010 10:45:41

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,116 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11102216external link
If being smart and positioning one self to be in a position where GWCs are not the competition is elitist then thanks. I'll take that.

Yeah, I take it as a compliment too.

But I'm damn tired of the armchair psychoanalysis from people that think they can explain away disagreeable opinion as a sign of character flaw. Maybe J. Sobran was right when he said that "psychoanalysis is a form of aggression for humorless people."

Post #120, Oct 15, 2010 10:50:24

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheap Photographers Only Kill Themselves, Not The Industry.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES