Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 04 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 03:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Ask me what you want.

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sydney Australia
Oct 20, 2010 21:41 |  #91

Hi Seona,

Any chance you could post up a "before and after" example of a photo? I'd be interested in learning what your typical post processing workflow looks like. And if it's a secret, then I understand as well

Sure ! Nothing to hide - lol :) My PPing is VERY basic :) - Less is more :)

First shot is SOOC -

I de saturated in ACR & upped black & contrast/exposure

opened in CS4 & cropped tighter

Took out mark on his face

Dodged eye whites

upped levels

done :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.seonamercerphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
5DMKIII gripped 5DMKIII gripped
24-70 2.8L. 85 1.2L. 50 1.2L. 100 2.8L Macro. 35 1.4L. 580exII
Facebook - "be a Liker" https://www.facebook.c​om ...rtraiture/124719434​222672 (external link)

sponsored links
erinsowinski
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Sunny Buffalo, NY
Oct 20, 2010 21:52 |  #92

subscribing

T1i, kit lens, 70-200 IS, 24-70 2.8L, thrifty fifty, 430EX ii

4-ever-blessed
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Australia
Oct 23, 2010 04:37 |  #93

I have a question…

Just wondering does your daughter ever refuse to have her photo taken? My children refuse scream at me “no, no stop” haha I have two boys at home 6.5yrs and 4.7yrs. How do you do it? Should I bribe them?
Also
How do you overcome a child that has a fake smile? A friends daughter that I have taken photo’s of at birthday parties… has this huge fake smile, I can get her to laugh which has given me a slit second were she is natural then it’s straight back to that forced smile. Has your own daughter ever gone through that stage?
thanks

4-ever-blessed
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Australia
Oct 23, 2010 04:42 |  #94

also with this photo did you use a flash or any other lighting? just wondering because of the umbrella thanks

http://www.facebook.co​m ...230612&id=124719434​222672external link

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sydney Australia
Oct 23, 2010 17:08 |  #95

I have a question…

Just wondering does your daughter ever refuse to have her photo taken? My children refuse scream at me “no, no stop” haha I have two boys at home 6.5yrs and 4.7yrs. How do you do it? Should I bribe them?
Also
How do you overcome a child that has a fake smile? A friends daughter that I have taken photo’s of at birthday parties… has this huge fake smile, I can get her to laugh which has given me a slit second were she is natural then it’s straight back to that forced smile. Has your own daughter ever gone through that stage?
thanks

lol my daughter is a camera ham ! Though I do whip out the odd choc bickie !

I get SO MANY fake smilers !

I simply tell them that I don't think that is their real smile, I make a joke & say "Oh that's a silly smile, you have a better one that that - is it in your pocket?"

They are kids, you must joke and come down to their level.

Jokes and funny noises will get you giggles and laughter - and this is where your best natural smiles are.

also with this photo did you use a flash or any other lighting? just wondering because of the umbrella thanks

http://www.facebook.co​m/pages/Engadi...24719​434222672external link

This was taken with all natural light - I had a beach behind me - so had very bright light coming in from behind me - and didn't need any extra lighting.

I have dug up the exif data on that image for you :

EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
1/4,000 sec, f/1.8, ISO 160

Facebook - "be a Liker" https://www.facebook.c​om ...rtraiture/124719434​222672 (external link)

jerdan
84 posts
Joined Jul 2009
tampa,fla
Oct 23, 2010 20:29 |  #96

Hi Seona.. You have so very helpful with this whole thread.... There hasn't been much said about posing newborn babies and keep them nice and sleepy (if there has.. I must have missed it and apologize)... I seem to struggle with that.... So I know it needs to be very warm and the baby should be full... I do this and the babies still stay up for quite some time... ??? The other question is.. what poses and how many looks should I strive for with my newborn sessions ... I feel like everytime I walk away from a newborn session I ultimately have the same look in all my pictures. Any help would be divinely appreciated. Do you ever offer workshops in the states?

Danielle

2-5d mark2,7d, 100mm 2.8,70-200 2.8 L,17-40 F4 L,50mm 1.2L,24-105,55, 50 1.2L,85 1.8,15mm2.8, 580ex2,430ex2, canon cpe4 battery packs,Canon 2x extender,Pocket wizards flex&mini,2 ab800,vagabond mini,C stands,ab beauty dish,28''apollo,50''ap​ollo,ab medium softboxes.

4-ever-blessed
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Australia
Oct 23, 2010 20:36 |  #97

"Oh that's a silly smile, you have a better one that that - is it in your pocket?"
thanks so much for that, it's a great one.
I have used the "Dont smile, please dont smile" while being silly...and it works on my friends son then when I tried with my niece she didnt' think it was to funny at all lol there all so different knowing what to use and when is a skill, you have and i hope to.
I used to teach Kinder gym and learn to swim so pretty good with kids and getting down to their level., adding a Camera for some kids is like sticking them in the cold pool with a stranger, take time for some to warm up. I need a few more fun jokes to have up my sleeve i think.

thanks for the settings for that shot.

mosi2
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Oct 30, 2010 12:03 as a reply to 4-ever-blessed's post |  #98

Hi Siona, it's very kind of you to share such an information for us..it's good to have you here. I'm a new in photo things. I have to shoot my frinds babies in about a week. I have no idea, what i gonna do, and bang, i found this thread. It's really helpfull. I have one question, do you think it's possible to shoot with all natural indoor light without flash at all ?
maybe little light from the window only, I have 50mm f/1.4 , can i produce good photo with that lens only? any tricks or technique i have to know before shooting the babies? Thanks Siona..and sorry for my bad english :)

550D | 18-55 IS

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sydney Australia
Oct 30, 2010 23:41 |  #99

Hi Seona.. You have so very helpful with this whole thread.... There hasn't been much said about posing newborn babies and keep them nice and sleepy (if there has.. I must have missed it and apologize)... I seem to struggle with that.... So I know it needs to be very warm and the baby should be full... I do this and the babies still stay up for quite some time... The other question is.. what poses and how many looks should I strive for with my newborn sessions ... I feel like everytime I walk away from a newborn session I ultimately have the same look in all my pictures. Any help would be divinely appreciated. Do you ever offer workshops in the states?

A few rules for shooting newborns :

The most important rule is to PHOTOGRAPH THEM UNDER 10 DAYS OLD !!! The younger the better ! They are more sleepy !
Full tummy
Warm room
Settle them on the bean bag and pat their backs or bums
Stroke their face and have some white noise playing
Don't attempt to pose them until they are in a deep sleep & when moving hands/feet into position do it very very very slowly !

Do you ever offer workshops in the states?

I would SO LOVE to visit the States ! One day maybe - when all my own children are in school !

I have never been to a work shop, or done any kind of photo course, ever - I am totally and completely 110% self taught - lots of trial and error, lots of bad shoots and lots of "dust myself off and try agains" So you CAN teach yourself by reading forums like this and practicing your butt off - this is why I wanted to start this thread - so people could learn the way I did, and it's my way of giving back and saying Thank You for all the help I received when I was learning :)
Hope this helps :)

Hi Siona, it's very kind of you to share such an information for us..it's good to have you here. I'm a new in photo things. I have to shoot my Friends babies in about a week. I have no idea, what i gonna do, and bang, i found this thread. It's really helpfull. I have one question, do you think it's possible to shoot with all natural indoor light without flash at all ?
maybe little light from the window only, I have 50mm f/1.4 , can i produce good photo with that lens only? any tricks or technique i have to know before shooting the babies? Thanks Siona..and sorry for my bad english

So pleased this thread has helped you :)

The 50mm 1.4 is a lovely lens & perfect for using natural light indoors and for photographing babies !

do you think it's possible to shoot with all natural indoor light without flash at all ?

YES !

The photo below was taken using all natural light inside my lounge room - the baby was set up on a bean bag near a window - the window was behind me.

My settings were :

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 85 mm ( Lens was the 85 1.2L)
ISO Speed 400

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1397/5125165144_88e29d5b34_b.jpg

The key is to have enough light on the baby and then meter accordingly.

Also don't be afraid to get the mum or dad in on the act

The photo below was very simple, Dad held his sleeping baby, he was standing against a wall, the window was to his right

Settings for this shot were :

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/1.6
Focal Length 85 mm
ISO Speed 500

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5083015049_4a37e3c023_b.jpg

Hope this helps :)

mosi2
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Oct 31, 2010 07:27 as a reply to mercersmoments's post |  #100

It really helps Siona, I take test shoot today, well it wasn't good enough to made me proud yet, i just want to report you this what I learn from you. I knew, it gonna need lot of improvement. This what i got, c&c very very welcome even the harsh one. Sorry the image is quite small.

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/5131647032_49e99387b9.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../17888522@N07/51316​47032/] (external link)
P1-davin (external link) by akusumajaya82 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/5131045925_ef4ddbf6e6.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../17888522@N07/51310​45925/] (external link)
P2-davin (external link) by akusumajaya82 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5131046195_b220336dd9.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../17888522@N07/51310​46195/] (external link)
P3-davin (external link) by akusumajaya82 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5131647890_24dbc90d64.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../17888522@N07/51316​47890/] (external link)
P4-davin (external link) by akusumajaya82 (external link), on Flickr

all in natural light, no flash, 50mm f/1.4 canon 550D :)

550D | 18-55 IS

delmama
533 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Oct 31, 2010 08:25 |  #101

Seonna, I am wondering if you prop your babies in a bean bag or a bed with pillows? I use a bean bag most of the time but I find the bed works well too sometimes...suggestion​s?

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link
Newborn and Child photographer.
Hand knitted props for photographers.

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sydney Australia
Oct 31, 2010 15:38 |  #102

It really helps Siona, I take test shoot today, well it wasn't good enough to made me proud yet, i just want to report you this what I learn from you. I knew, it gonna need lot of improvement. This what i got, c&c very very welcome even the harsh one. Sorry the image is quite small.

Well, I think for a first time you have done well. What a sweet little baby. I really like the foot photo.

I can see a slight haze or lighter area across the photos, this could have been caused from either a smudge on your lens or the sun has come across the front of your lens? - Or have you added it in PPing?

If you would like me to have a go at some editing for you - just to show you some ideas, let me know.

I love the last image, the mother looks very at peace with her baby, it's a nice tender moment between them both.

They look exposed well and your focus is good, it's just the light haze I see that bothers me - so lets get that fixed up & you'll have a lovely set of images to give the mother :)

Seonna, I am wondering if you prop your babies in a bean bag or a bed with pillows? I use a bean bag most of the time but I find the bed works well too sometimes...suggestion​s?

I use a bean bag chair - back on Page 3 (I think) of this thread there's a photo of it - I have used a bed and pillows as well, at client's homes, but I shoot mainly in my home studio, so newborns get the bean bag ! It works well and is safe, and I can sit mum or dad on a chair next to the baby too :)

mosi2
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Oct 31, 2010 22:11 |  #103

mercersmoments wrote in post #11199489external link
Well, I think for a first time you have done well. What a sweet little baby. I really like the foot photo.

I can see a slight haze or lighter area across the photos, this could have been caused from either a smudge on your lens or the sun has come across the front of your lens? - Or have you added it in PPing?

If you would like me to have a go at some editing for you - just to show you some ideas, let me know.

I love the last image, the mother looks very at peace with her baby, it's a nice tender moment between them both.

They look exposed well and your focus is good, it's just the light haze I see that bothers me - so lets get that fixed up & you'll have a lovely set of images to give the mother :)

I use a bean bag chair - back on Page 3 (I think) of this thread there's a photo of it - I have used a bed and pillows as well, at client's homes, but I shoot mainly in my home studio, so newborns get the bean bag ! It works well and is safe, and I can sit mum or dad on a chair next to the baby too :)

Hi siona, yes i think it's the window sunlight over my lens, i didn't aware with that haze.
Sure...I'll be glad to see your ideas, it's free for you to edit. You just keep shocking me with your kindness to newcomers like me. Thanks for trhe comment siona

550D | 18-55 IS

mwilleman
56 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 31, 2010 22:38 |  #104

What a great thread! I'm new to photography and really got into it to photograph my 1 year old. So far it's been tough for me, all my shots just seem to be candids that don't look very professional. I'm thinking about setting up a small studio in my house to work on getting better looking shots. Do you use strobe or continuous lights for your shots and how many? Thanks again for setting up this great thread.

Canon T2i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sydney Australia
Oct 31, 2010 22:55 |  #105

Hi siona, yes i think it's the window sunlight over my lens, i didn't aware with that haze.
Sure...I'll be glad to see your ideas, it's free for you to edit. You just keep shocking me with your kindness to newcomers like me. Thanks for trhe comment siona

Easy fixed with some photoshop, I usually just use the burn tool to fix sun haze - next time try popping on a lens hood, it should help :)

Could you possibly post 2 or so of your photos without the text & in a larger size ? :) I'll be able to edit them for you :)

What a great thread! I'm new to photography and really got into it to photograph my 1 year old. So far it's been tough for me, all my shots just seem to be candids that don't look very professional. I'm thinking about setting up a small studio in my house to work on getting better looking shots. Do you use strobe or continuous lights for your shots and how many? Thanks again for setting up this great thread.

I have 2 500 watt strobes with modeling globes - for kids & babies I only set one up & have a soft box attached.

My typical settings for using one light are :

Light turned to lowest possible power.
F/3.2
1/125
ISO 100

This shot was taken using the above camera settings , baby was on a bean bag chair with lambswool over the top & draped up and clipped to my backdrop stand.

As you can see there are still some shadows on the baby, I like to have my artificial light look like natural light as much as possible, I also have the window behind me, and usually open the blinds so I get some extra catch lights.

Probably not the "normal" way to do things - but it works for me - and I like it :)

The light with soft box was just off centre behind me - the second photo shows my set up (with my daughter pretending to photograph her doll !) This should give you an idea of how I set up my studio for photographing babies :)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5092376915_ef7e7ab381_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/5101284022_79f470cfb4_b.jpg

sponsored links

240,923 views & 5 likes for this thread
Ask me what you want.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.