Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200mm L 2.8 IS I

rab3rd
754 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2010 18:07 |  #1

When the stabilizer is in the on mode and I am hand holding the camera very still. Should I be hearing the IS motor running? It does this as long as I hold the shutter half way. Its not the focus motor either. It does it even if its mounted on a tripod. My 100-400 IS doesnt make the sounds this thing is making.
I bought the lens used and I fear its damaged.

sponsored links
dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 01, 2010 18:12 |  #2

That sounds about right. I was just playing around with a very good copy of the f2.8IS version 1 last night and paid careful attention to the IS motor and noticed that it made the noise when I clicked the shutter half way down. When I let off the shutter the IS motor noise went away.

I was told that some of the newer model IS lens can detect when mounted on a tripod thus automatically disabling the IS.

Have you tried turning off the IS and then clicking it half way? It shouldn't make any noise at all.

ISOlution|Photography (external link)

rab3rd
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2010 18:13 |  #3

so it ran as long as you held the shtter botton half way down, like forever if you were so incliined to do so?

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 01, 2010 18:15 |  #4

rab3rd wrote in post #11378740 (external link)
so it ran as long as you held the shtter botton half way down, like forever if you were so incliined to do so?

No, if I recall when I kept the shutter click half way down the IS motor would eventually shut off momentarily.

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2010 18:15 |  #5

It is normal.
It does this when you hold the shutter half way (ready to shoot) to avoid wasting batteries.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2010 18:16 |  #6

And a hint: let the IS run for 1 or 2 seconds before taking the shot. This maximizes the IS performance.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

johnbergsing
163 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 01, 2010 18:22 |  #7

After reading the OP, I pulled it out and, sure enough, there is a slight noise going on when the shutter is half pressed! I'd never noticed it before.

Gripped Canon 5DmkII | Gripped Canon 40D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 580EXII | more lighting gear than I care to think about...
Website (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2010 18:24 |  #8

Yes normal.

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 01, 2010 18:26 |  #9

johnbergsing wrote in post #11378794 (external link)
After reading the OP, I pulled it out and, sure enough, there is a slight noise going on when the shutter is half pressed! I'd never noticed it before.

Haha really? How could you not have noticed that noise, it's like a tiger screaming.... very quietly :)

rab3rd
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2010 18:35 |  #10

yeah, its loud. I dont know how you couldnt hear it.

rab3rd
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2010 18:55 |  #11

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel better now.

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 01, 2010 18:59 |  #12

Too bad it isn't April fool's today.

johnbergsing
163 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 02, 2010 10:20 |  #13

dandan1 wrote in post #11378821 (external link)
Haha really? How could you not have noticed that noise, it's like a tiger screaming.... very quietly :)

It is ever so slight with my copy. I can't hear it at all when looking through the viewfinder. I have to put my ear up to the lens to hear it.

My wife wants me to point out that it might also be the many years of loud rock concerts that have contributed to my slight hearing loss... (She says she thought it was just her voice I can't seem to hear...)

Gripped Canon 5DmkII | Gripped Canon 40D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 580EXII | more lighting gear than I care to think about...
Website (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 02, 2010 10:39 |  #14

70-200 2.8 mk1 has one of the loudest IS motors I've heard. But it works darn well.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

1,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200mm L 2.8 IS I
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.