Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > POTN Member Activities
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #31
-AP-

Default Re: Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboricua View Post
Best Backpack Ive ever owned: Tenba Shootout Backpack
For me, this looks perfect... If only a 50-100 bones less...
-AP- is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #32
azboricua

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AP- View Post
For me, this looks perfect... If only a 50-100 bones less...
I know its really expensive but man the build quality is crazy! and MADE IN THE USA. (New York) Amazon and sometimes on ebay you can get one for cheaper than the retail price.
azboricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #33
ChristinaMae

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll have to check them out tonight and hopefully place my order in the morning.
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #34
AZAlphaDog

I guess we gotta post something to subscribe to this new thread, so I'll post this for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas_0150.jpg (145.0 KB, 424 views)
AZAlphaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #35
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Nice of you to think of everyone...
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #36
cdahl

Hello, I normally just lurk here because I really have nothing to contribute, but I benefit greatly from all the knowledge on this thread. There are some great photographers here. I still have nothing to contribute, but I'm in desperate need of guidance!

I am strictly a hobbist photographer with no desire to be anything more. I do desire to be the best I can be though. I originally got a dslr to photograph my son's wrestling meets as my P&S wasn't cutting it.

Anyway, to get to the point, recently friends have been asking me to do pictures for them and although I've been using a dslr for 2 years and constantly read this forum, other informative photography sites and books, my portrait pictures are horrible. I know reading is different than doing but I still expected more. The photo I have attached was taken this afternoon. It has been edited somewhat, but as you can see it's still c#@p. The exif data is f6.3, 1/100, iso 400 using a 50mm 1.8 on a T2i.

My friends are not paying me and are not expecting perfection, but I would at least like to deliver a decent picture that I'm not embarrassed about. I upped my iso to get my shutter speed up and used 6.3 to get good DOF, but the picture is mealy and not crisp at all. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I know the background is messy but this is where they wanted to do the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0852.jpg (132.3 KB, 420 views)
cdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #37
TauntDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl View Post
Hello, I normally just lurk here because I really have nothing to contribute, but I benefit greatly from all the knowledge on this thread. There are some great photographers here. I still have nothing to contribute, but I'm in desperate need of guidance!

I am strictly a hobbist photographer with no desire to be anything more. I do desire to be the best I can be though. I originally got a dslr to photograph my son's wrestling meets as my P&S wasn't cutting it.

Anyway, to get to the point, recently friends have been asking me to do pictures for them and although I've been using a dslr for 2 years and constantly read this forum, other informative photography sites and books, my portrait pictures are horrible. I know reading is different than doing but I still expected more. The photo I have attached was taken this afternoon. It has been edited somewhat, but as you can see it's still c#@p. The exif data is f6.3, 1/100, iso 400 using a 50mm 1.8 on a T2i.

My friends are not paying me and are not expecting perfection, but I would at least like to deliver a decent picture that I'm not embarrassed about. I upped my iso to get my shutter speed up and used 6.3 to get good DOF, but the picture is mealy and not crisp at all. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I know the background is messy but this is where they wanted to do the picture.
Well i think for more people i would use a slightly higher dof (Though doesnt look bad at all). As for sharpness it might of been you holding it. If you had a tripod it might be sharper. Also maybe try in post process to up the "Clarity".
Just blank thoughts im throwing out.
Old 1st of December 2010 (Wed)   #38
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop

Hi Cdahl

Welcome to the thread.

I think the image is pretty decent... maybe a little fill flash and you could drop the ambient exposure some for the background. F/6.3 for a single row is fine with the 50mm... odds are you were about 8-10 ft from them... so the DOF was about 3 ft.. more than enough to keep everyone in focus.

So... for a tip... maybe next time find some open shade or complete shade add a little fill flash to give them some pop. My eye goes to the bright background and then to the people.

Keep shooting and welcome to the thread.
Hatch
Hatch1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #39
cdahl

Thank you for your replies.

@tauntdevil: I would have used a tripod, but they literally gave me 5 minutes to take these pictures.

@ Hatch: I have a flash, but I'm still getting used to using it and as I said above there was no time to play with flash compensation. I already feel self-conscious when I'm fiddling getting my settings set up.

If you don't mind me picking your brains, I have a couple of questions. I used center focus on the woman in purple face, if I had focused on her and then recomposed to get in closer and fill the frame (the above picture has been cropped), would I have lost more sharpness? I was afraid to try it with my limited time. I feel like I always need to use center focus since it's the most sensitive, is this true?

As I said earlier, I've read a lot, but applying it is a whole different story especially with people staring at you waiting for you to take their picture! Shooting a nice sunset in the desert all by myself is much less stressful!
cdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #40
azboricua

Anyone going to the Gilbert Christmas Tree Lighting?

LINK to Details
azboricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #41
LisaJH

Just peeking in here...I'm off in Kingman so probably not near many of you but I wanted to say hi! I'm Lisa, mom to 8, and very part time photographer. My website is in my signature. I'd love to attend a get together if you guys do those.
LisaJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #42
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl View Post
Thank you for your replies.

@ Hatch: I have a flash, but I'm still getting used to using it and as I said above there was no time to play with flash compensation. I already feel self-conscious when I'm fiddling getting my settings set up.

If you don't mind me picking your brains, I have a couple of questions. I used center focus on the woman in purple face, if I had focused on her and then recomposed to get in closer and fill the frame (the above picture has been cropped), would I have lost more sharpness? I was afraid to try it with my limited time. I feel like I always need to use center focus since it's the most sensitive, is this true?

As I said earlier, I've read a lot, but applying it is a whole different story especially with people staring at you waiting for you to take their picture! Shooting a nice sunset in the desert all by myself is much less stressful!
Go to your happy place when photographing people Just objects for you to take photos of...

Focus/recompose. Two camps out there from what I have seen. those who will not focus and recompose and the ones who do.

I do...

Yes... from my understanding the center focus point is the most sensitive.

Since the people are just about in a straight line...and the DOF is pretty deep for a 50mm at that distance... you should have a sharp image... maybe a slight falloff of sharpness at the edges depending on how the lens performs. Even when focusing and recomposing.

Just remember if you are in this situation again... you are the one in control... they will listen to you and you can tell them to relax for a minute as you are making some final adjustments to your settings.

Hatch
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #43
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJH View Post
Just peeking in here...I'm off in Kingman so probably not near many of you but I wanted to say hi! I'm Lisa, mom to 8, and very part time photographer. My website is in my signature. I'd love to attend a get together if you guys do those.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the thread. Kristy will be excited to see you on here... lots of guys in the thread... just a few ladies.

We are do for another get together... just need to figure out when and where... It's a challenge with all the busy schedules.

Do post in here when you get a chance... friendly crowd... always learning and helping each other.

welcome again.
Hatch
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #44
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJH View Post

Okay... just commented on your recent client session....

Your work is FANTASTIC! Love your site/blog as well. Great have someone with your talents on this thread.

Keep up the great work.
Hatch
Old 2nd of December 2010 (Thu)   #45
ToferPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch1921 View Post
Go to your happy place when photographing people Just objects for you to take photos of...

Focus/recompose. Two camps out there from what I have seen. those who will not focus and recompose and the ones who do.

I do...

Yes... from my understanding the center focus point is the most sensitive.

Since the people are just about in a straight line...and the DOF is pretty deep for a 50mm at that distance... you should have a sharp image... maybe a slight falloff of sharpness at the edges depending on how the lens performs. Even when focusing and recomposing.

Just remember if you are in this situation again... you are the one in control... they will listen to you and you can tell them to relax for a minute as you are making some final adjustments to your settings.

Hatch
Absolutely, if they asked that you do the shot - they should be more than willing to allow you some time to set up, take various shots, experiment with fill flash etc. The shot overall isn't bad. I think the fill flash really would help balance it out and if you could I would remove the taxi.
Chris... Aka.."Tofer" ~ Canon EOS 7D 18-135 3.5IS / Canon 50mm 1.8F / Rebel XT (350D) ~ Tamron 17-35mm SP AF 2.8 ~ Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG Macro // Canon 75-300 zoom // Canon 430ex // - (Samsung SIII / HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid) - Lowepro Slingpack ==> Facebook[/b]
ToferPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote