Joined Sep 2008
1,959 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

azboricua wrote in post #11378852external link
Best Backpack Ive ever owned: Tenba Shootout Backpackexternal link

For me, this looks perfect... If only a 50-100 bones less...:cry:

Post #31, Dec 01, 2010 18:41:01

WEBSITEexternal link | FACEBOOKexternal link | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | T3I |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights and other stuff..

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
azboricua
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,192 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

-AP- wrote in post #11378899external link
For me, this looks perfect... If only a 50-100 bones less...:cry:

I know its really expensive but man the build quality is crazy! and MADE IN THE USA. (New York) Amazon and sometimes on ebay you can get one for cheaper than the retail price.

Post #32, Dec 01, 2010 18:48:13

Christian
Flickrexternal link
FEEDBACK LINKS

ChristinaMae
Joined Feb 2010
122 posts
Cave Creek
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll have to check them out tonight and hopefully place my order in the morning.

Post #33, Dec 01, 2010 20:27:00

Christinaexternal link

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
1,744 posts
Southwest
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess we gotta post something to subscribe to this new thread, so I'll post this for everyone.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #34, Dec 01, 2010 20:35:54 as a reply to azboricua's post 1 hour earlier.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONSexternal link | FACEBOOKexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice of you to think of everyone...

Post #35, Dec 01, 2010 20:38:51 as a reply to AZAlphaDog's post 2 minutes earlier.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
cdahl
Joined Sep 2008
81 posts
Scottsdale, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello, I normally just lurk here because I really have nothing to contribute, but I benefit greatly from all the knowledge on this thread. There are some great photographers here. I still have nothing to contribute, but I'm in desperate need of guidance!

I am strictly a hobbist photographer with no desire to be anything more. I do desire to be the best I can be though. I originally got a dslr to photograph my son's wrestling meets as my P&S wasn't cutting it.

Anyway, to get to the point, recently friends have been asking me to do pictures for them and although I've been using a dslr for 2 years and constantly read this forum, other informative photography sites and books, my portrait pictures are horrible. I know reading is different than doing but I still expected more. The photo I have attached was taken this afternoon. It has been edited somewhat, but as you can see it's still c#@p. The exif data is f6.3, 1/100, iso 400 using a 50mm 1.8 on a T2i.

My friends are not paying me and are not expecting perfection, but I would at least like to deliver a decent picture that I'm not embarrassed about. I upped my iso to get my shutter speed up and used 6.3 to get good DOF, but the picture is mealy and not crisp at all. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I know the background is messy but this is where they wanted to do the picture.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #36, Dec 01, 2010 21:12:37

Carrie
Canon T2i | Canon 18-55mm | Canon 100mm F2 | Canon 50 F1.8 II | Canon 55-250 | YN 465

TauntDevil
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cdahl wrote in post #11379752external link
Hello, I normally just lurk here because I really have nothing to contribute, but I benefit greatly from all the knowledge on this thread. There are some great photographers here. I still have nothing to contribute, but I'm in desperate need of guidance!

I am strictly a hobbist photographer with no desire to be anything more. I do desire to be the best I can be though. I originally got a dslr to photograph my son's wrestling meets as my P&S wasn't cutting it.

Anyway, to get to the point, recently friends have been asking me to do pictures for them and although I've been using a dslr for 2 years and constantly read this forum, other informative photography sites and books, my portrait pictures are horrible. I know reading is different than doing but I still expected more. The photo I have attached was taken this afternoon. It has been edited somewhat, but as you can see it's still c#@p. The exif data is f6.3, 1/100, iso 400 using a 50mm 1.8 on a T2i.

My friends are not paying me and are not expecting perfection, but I would at least like to deliver a decent picture that I'm not embarrassed about. I upped my iso to get my shutter speed up and used 6.3 to get good DOF, but the picture is mealy and not crisp at all. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I know the background is messy but this is where they wanted to do the picture.

Well i think for more people i would use a slightly higher dof (Though doesnt look bad at all). As for sharpness it might of been you holding it. If you had a tripod it might be sharper. Also maybe try in post process to up the "Clarity".
Just blank thoughts im throwing out.

Post #37, Dec 01, 2010 22:11:34

Everything in the photography industry has changed since I was last in it (Early 2012). Getting back in it is like waking up in a new generation xD

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
6,986 posts
Phoenix AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Cdahl :)

Welcome to the thread.

I think the image is pretty decent... maybe a little fill flash and you could drop the ambient exposure some for the background. F/6.3 for a single row is fine with the 50mm... odds are you were about 8-10 ft from them... so the DOF was about 3 ft.. more than enough to keep everyone in focus.

So... for a tip... maybe next time find some open shade or complete shade add a little fill flash to give them some pop. My eye goes to the bright background and then to the people.

Keep shooting and welcome to the thread.
Hatch

Post #38, Dec 01, 2010 22:23:12

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More!external link
MAIN SITEexternal link

cdahl
Joined Sep 2008
81 posts
Scottsdale, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you for your replies.

@tauntdevil: I would have used a tripod, but they literally gave me 5 minutes to take these pictures.

@ Hatch: I have a flash, but I'm still getting used to using it and as I said above there was no time to play with flash compensation. I already feel self-conscious when I'm fiddling getting my settings set up.

If you don't mind me picking your brains, I have a couple of questions. I used center focus on the woman in purple face, if I had focused on her and then recomposed to get in closer and fill the frame (the above picture has been cropped), would I have lost more sharpness? I was afraid to try it with my limited time. I feel like I always need to use center focus since it's the most sensitive, is this true?

As I said earlier, I've read a lot, but applying it is a whole different story especially with people staring at you waiting for you to take their picture! Shooting a nice sunset in the desert all by myself is much less stressful!

Post #39, Dec 02, 2010 08:56:20

Carrie
Canon T2i | Canon 18-55mm | Canon 100mm F2 | Canon 50 F1.8 II | Canon 55-250 | YN 465

azboricua
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,192 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyone going to the Gilbert Christmas Tree Lighting?

LINK to Detailsexternal link

Post #40, Dec 02, 2010 10:05:35 as a reply to cdahl's post 1 hour earlier.

Christian
Flickrexternal link
FEEDBACK LINKS

LisaJH
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
1,481 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just peeking in here...I'm off in Kingman so probably not near many of you but I wanted to say hi! I'm Lisa, mom to 8, and very part time photographer. My website is in my signature. I'd love to attend a get together if you guys do those.

Post #41, Dec 02, 2010 10:34:33

~Mom of 10 and Professional Photographer~
5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Websiteexternal link | Blogexternal link | Facebookexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Instagramexternal link | Twitterexternal link

sponsored links
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
6,986 posts
Phoenix AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

cdahl wrote in post #11381884external link
Thank you for your replies.

@ Hatch: I have a flash, but I'm still getting used to using it and as I said above there was no time to play with flash compensation. I already feel self-conscious when I'm fiddling getting my settings set up.

If you don't mind me picking your brains, I have a couple of questions. I used center focus on the woman in purple face, if I had focused on her and then recomposed to get in closer and fill the frame (the above picture has been cropped), would I have lost more sharpness? I was afraid to try it with my limited time. I feel like I always need to use center focus since it's the most sensitive, is this true?

As I said earlier, I've read a lot, but applying it is a whole different story especially with people staring at you waiting for you to take their picture! Shooting a nice sunset in the desert all by myself is much less stressful!

Go to your happy place when photographing people :) Just objects for you to take photos of... ;)

Focus/recompose. Two camps out there from what I have seen. those who will not focus and recompose and the ones who do.

I do...

Yes... from my understanding the center focus point is the most sensitive.

Since the people are just about in a straight line...and the DOF is pretty deep for a 50mm at that distance... you should have a sharp image... maybe a slight falloff of sharpness at the edges depending on how the lens performs. Even when focusing and recomposing.

Just remember if you are in this situation again... you are the one in control... they will listen to you and you can tell them to relax for a minute as you are making some final adjustments to your settings.

:)
Hatch

Post #42, Dec 02, 2010 10:47:04

MAIN SITEexternal link

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
6,986 posts
Phoenix AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

LisaJH wrote in post #11382383external link
Just peeking in here...I'm off in Kingman so probably not near many of you but I wanted to say hi! I'm Lisa, mom to 8, and very part time photographer. My website is in my signature. I'd love to attend a get together if you guys do those.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the thread. Kristy will be excited to see you on here... lots of guys in the thread... just a few ladies. :)

We are do for another get together... just need to figure out when and where... :) It's a challenge with all the busy schedules.

Do post in here when you get a chance... friendly crowd... always learning and helping each other.

welcome again.
Hatch

Post #43, Dec 02, 2010 10:49:30

MAIN SITEexternal link

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
6,986 posts
Phoenix AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

LisaJH wrote in post #11382383external link

Okay... just commented on your recent client session....

Your work is FANTASTIC! Love your site/blog as well. Great have someone with your talents on this thread.

Keep up the great work.
Hatch

Post #44, Dec 02, 2010 11:51:25

MAIN SITEexternal link

ToferPhotography
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2004
1,122 posts
Litchfield Park, AZ via Seattle
[MORE/SHARE]

Hatch1921 wrote in post #11382450external link
Go to your happy place when photographing people :) Just objects for you to take photos of... ;)

Focus/recompose. Two camps out there from what I have seen. those who will not focus and recompose and the ones who do.

I do...

Yes... from my understanding the center focus point is the most sensitive.

Since the people are just about in a straight line...and the DOF is pretty deep for a 50mm at that distance... you should have a sharp image... maybe a slight falloff of sharpness at the edges depending on how the lens performs. Even when focusing and recomposing.

Just remember if you are in this situation again... you are the one in control... they will listen to you and you can tell them to relax for a minute as you are making some final adjustments to your settings.

:)
Hatch

Absolutely, if they asked that you do the shot - they should be more than willing to allow you some time to set up, take various shots, experiment with fill flash etc. The shot overall isn't bad. I think the fill flash really would help balance it out and if you could I would remove the taxi.

Post #45, Dec 02, 2010 11:55:31

Chris... Aka.."Tofer" ~ Canon EOS 7D 18-135 3.5IS / Canon 50mm 1.8F / Rebel XT (350D) ~ Tamron 17-35mm SP AF 2.8 ~ Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG Macro // Canon 75-300 zoom // Canon 430ex // - (Samsung SIII / HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid) - Lowepro Slingpack ==> :cool: Facebookexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
159,378 views & 1 like for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES