DSS results are TERRIBLE - Can you help?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 17 Dec 2010 (Friday) 02:21   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

swag72
Joined Nov 2008
465 posts
Olocau, Spain
[MORE/SHARE]

I spent all of yesterday running my Orion nebula subs through DSS. It has been a nightmare and I don't know if anyone can shed any light on what I'm doing wrong.

I used 16 bit tiffs - about 60 of them at varying exposure times - and darks for the same exposure times. I didn't use flats. I followed the tutorial by a.s.i.g.n on this site. The results?

The histogram came out so far to the right, there was nothing I could do to bring it back and maintain any nebula detail at all. I also had TERRIBLE vignetting - When I looked at an individual sub and pushed the curves up to look, the vignette was not bad at all. In the end result it covers most of the frame.

So I am now putting my raw date through - see how that goes. This is the 2nd time I have used DSS, I used it for M45 a couple of days ago and it went well, I have done nothing different. If only the histogram more to the left to start with I am sure I could go from there.

I would be so grateful if anyone could offer some ideas!

Post #1, Dec 17, 2010 02:21:30

Catch my pictures on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/swag72/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jeff
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
1,448 posts
42° 34' N 87° 55' W Kenosha, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

I feel you're pain. I had fits when I started stacking in DSS. My only input is that there's only so much that can be done in DSS and then you need to do some processing in something like Photoshop. It's amazing what levels and curves can do. Keep at it!

Post #2, Dec 17, 2010 16:03:58

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: Meade 10" SCT, AT8IN, Orion EON 110mm APO, Coronado PST, Atlas EQ-G to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICSexternal link | MY ASTRO PICSexternal link

swag72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
465 posts
Olocau, Spain
[MORE/SHARE]

Cheers Jeff - I found an excellent tutorial on the net and also learnt that putting raws through DSS was MUCH better than putting the tiffs through.

I have also learnt to not bother doing any adjustments in DSS and just use Photoshop.

There's lots to learn that's for sure.

Post #3, Dec 18, 2010 04:38:09

Jonathan.kichizi
Joined Mar 2010
131 posts
Tucson, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

I saw your results on your flickr page-- looks great!! Can you share what you did? Thanks for the notes about RAW files being better than TIFFs. If you did a full write up- from shooting to final product, I would love to read it.

Post #4, Dec 18, 2010 14:18:02 as a reply to swag72's post 9 hours earlier.

swag72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
465 posts
Olocau, Spain
[MORE/SHARE]

I am such a complete newb that I haven't even got a set way to set up my scope each time, let alone process images!!

This linkexternal link was absolutely brilliant, and the curves tutorial is what I followed to get the results I did.

Hope that helps.

Post #5, Dec 19, 2010 11:08:30

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
893 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSS results are TERRIBLE - Can you help?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES