Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th of December 2010 (Fri)   #1
swag72

Default DSS results are TERRIBLE - Can you help?

I spent all of yesterday running my Orion nebula subs through DSS. It has been a nightmare and I don't know if anyone can shed any light on what I'm doing wrong.

I used 16 bit tiffs - about 60 of them at varying exposure times - and darks for the same exposure times. I didn't use flats. I followed the tutorial by a.s.i.g.n on this site. The results?

The histogram came out so far to the right, there was nothing I could do to bring it back and maintain any nebula detail at all. I also had TERRIBLE vignetting - When I looked at an individual sub and pushed the curves up to look, the vignette was not bad at all. In the end result it covers most of the frame.

So I am now putting my raw date through - see how that goes. This is the 2nd time I have used DSS, I used it for M45 a couple of days ago and it went well, I have done nothing different. If only the histogram more to the left to start with I am sure I could go from there.

I would be so grateful if anyone could offer some ideas!