Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dmk2 with tamron 28-75?

citizen ­ k
110 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2011 02:19 |  #1

hello

i am considering buying a used 5dmk2 (getting lower prices, and when the mk3 will come out will even be lower..) - right now i am using 28-75 tamron and afraid it could not handle the 21 mp. what do you think? someone has experience with this combo? maybe i'll just go for a 5dc but the video is really a charmer......

sponsored links
cookie99
482 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 10, 2011 02:35 |  #2

Full frame 21 MP cameras DEMAND the best glass and I would not insult it with anything that was not Canon and did not have L after its name and even then preferably a prime.

Chris Cooke "Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni"

dervish99
119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2011 02:47 |  #3

+1 on the L glass, just for a laugh i put my old Canon 75-300 on my new 5D MK2, i am now waiting for the jar of jam in the fridge to be empty, i may get better results from the bottom of the jar. Cheap glass and 21MP fullframe go together like a french kiss at a family reunion.

Gear: Canon 5D MKII, 24-105mmL
:eyesThere is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept:eyes
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dervish99/ (external link)

citizen ­ k
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2011 02:53 as a reply to  @ dervish99's post |  #4

how about 5dc? will it go better then? i also want to use old nikon primes.....will they performe better with the mk2?

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 10, 2011 02:55 |  #5

Don't listen to them. My Tammie 28-75mm lives on my 5dmkII. It's a great walk around lens for that camera. I tested it against my 70-200mm L at 70mm, and it's very nearly as sharp. I can't tell the difference at anything under 200% magnification. Even then, there's just a tiny bit of loss of detail. Contrast and color are excellent. A little vignetting at f/2.8, but it's gone by f/4, and the 5d's peripheral illumination feature works great to fix that. Just make sure you get a good copy, and don't be afraid to exchange it if you don't.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2011 02:56 |  #6

have you guys (cookie99 and dervish99) tried the Tamron 28-75mm yet?

I am not saying he/she shouldn't buy L lenses, but I don't think sharpness is the weakness of the Tamron 28-75mm.. it lacks the build quality and the AF speed of Canon L Lenses, but certainly not sharpness IMHO.

I have the Tamron 28-75mm on a D700 by the way :lol: I am not bias, I am just saying don't dismiss it without even trying it out first. :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

thecrazyfool
22 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2011 04:18 |  #7

I have the Tammy and the Canon 24-70L and the Canon is marginally sharper on the 5d Mk2. The Tammy is much more lighter than the Canon (as it doenst have the build etc) especially if you are slugging it all day!

Focusing on the Tammy is faster on a FF than on a cropped camera but again the Canon is slightly faster.

That's my 2 cents...

Gear: Canon 5D Mark 3 with Canon 70-200mm f4L/IS; Canon 17-40mm f4L; Canon-24-70mm f2.8L; Canon 135mm f2; Canon EF 50mm f1.4; Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Speedlite 430EX II

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2011 06:32 |  #8

Tamron 28-75 centre sharpness is fantastic, proven by its performance on crop cameras which are more demanding of the centre of the image than FF cameras generally. You might find the edges to be a little soft though.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 10, 2011 06:42 |  #9

Don't know about the 24-70 compared to the 28-75 other than they are supposed to be extremely close. Copy variations may have one think the Canon is better, others the Tamron.

I do have the 28-75 and I agree that it works better on a 5D/5DII than on a 40D I had before. It was the second lens I ever bought and I still own it. No temptation to replace it.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 07:48 |  #10

Unless you are pixel peeing or making large prints the differences between the Tamron and an L Lens will not be easy to spot. Look at what your intentioned end result is and go from there. If you want to make large prints you really need good glass, otherwise, not it's not a huge issue.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 10, 2011 09:10 |  #11

True... the Tamron might be better ;-)a

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 10, 2011 10:00 |  #12

I like my Tamron on the 5D2. I have used a friends 24-70 to compare, and the focusing and build quality were the big differences. The Tamron does vignette through f/4. The Canon is a great lens, and one day I may go that route, but for now I have other lenses to get first.

On the positive side, the weight of the Tamron is perfect for a light walk around kit...:)

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 10, 2011 10:12 |  #13

citizen k wrote in post #11609100 (external link)
hello

i am considering buying a used 5dmk2 (getting lower prices, and when the mk3 will come out will even be lower..) - right now i am using 28-75 tamron and afraid it could not handle the 21 mp. what do you think? someone has experience with this combo? maybe i'll just go for a 5dc but the video is really a charmer......

First of all, look at my sig. I own the 5D. I have owned the Sigma 24-70 EX, Canon 24-70L and Tamron 28-75 Di. In that order. If I had it all to do over. I would go straight to the Tamron.

cookie99 wrote in post #11609138 (external link)
Full frame 21 MP cameras DEMAND the best glass and I would not insult it with anything that was not Canon and did not have L after its name and even then preferably a prime.

Really, a lenses resolving power stops a 12mp? I know of no camera that out-resolves a good lens. De-fraction is more of a problem than resolution in my mind.

caveat, if you are shooting professionally. You would consider the Canon first for the following reasons.
1. It zooms inward, making the hood perfect over all its range.
2. Its canon so canon will not blame the Tamron for any problems you have.
3. You have big muscles as it weights a full pound more than the Tamron.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

illrooster132
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 10, 2011 10:51 |  #14

if IQ is not the most important factor on your pictures and you can live with the fact that the tammy may not be canon quality:lol: . then i would get the tammy other wise canon "L" is the only way to go:p
my 24-70 L is stupid fast and sharp no questions asked.:D

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,410 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 10, 2011 11:11 |  #15

Here are a couple comparisons:
First Tammy against the 70-200L f4 IS. Settings - 1/1000, f5.6, ISO 200, IS off. Developed in LR 3.3, sharpening 100/0.5/15/30 and Screen/Standard. First the full frames, then 100% center crops and corner crops.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

12,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
5dmk2 with tamron 28-75?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.