Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 21 Jan 2011 (Friday) 08:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first wedding

crman
148 posts
Joined Mar 2008
eastern iowa
Jan 21, 2011 08:28 |  #1

I did a wedding as a favor for a guy at work that had a photographer cancel a couple of weeks berfore his sons wedding. WOW !!! The pace and the amount of work was intense. Here's a few of my faves. How did I do???

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5dmkIII |5dmkII |40D | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 85 f/1.8 | 50 f/1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 430exII | Promaster 7500edf |PW tt1-tt5

sponsored links
auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Plano, TX
Jan 21, 2011 08:56 |  #2

Holy processing Batman! They are beyond plastic in #5. It looks like you had a fun group, which is good, but the shots seem a bit snapshotty and way overprocessed. I think dialing back on the processing would help immensely. I think a lot of new people have the habit of cooking their photos to death in Photoshop.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.comexternal link
Like Me On Facebookexternal link

lapiqurestudios
236 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Dallas/Fort Worth
Jan 21, 2011 11:13 |  #3

agreed

www.javierherreraphoto​graphy.comexternal link
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 85 1.4, 70-200mm F2.8 L, Profoto Acute 2 1200 w/s lighting systems, AB Einsteins

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Langtoft. England.
Jan 21, 2011 11:21 |  #4

auroraskye wrote in post #11684975external link
Holy processing Batman! They are beyond plastic in #5. It looks like you had a fun group, which is good, but the shots seem a bit snapshotty and way overprocessed. I think dialing back on the processing would help immensely. I think a lot of new people have the habit of cooking their photos to death in Photoshop.

Sorry to say, I agree but I do like #2..;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/external link
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/external link
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/external link

external link

crman
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Mar 2008
eastern iowa
Jan 21, 2011 12:21 as a reply to TTk's post |  #5

Wow tough crowd. Did I mension this was my first time? Seriously though I do see your point. I suppose I tend to like the over processed look (maybe shows my inexperience). Thanks for the comments ......

5dmkIII |5dmkII |40D | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 85 f/1.8 | 50 f/1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 430exII | Promaster 7500edf |PW tt1-tt5

dkim82
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Garden Grove, CA
Jan 21, 2011 12:27 |  #6

#1 - looks like the kid didn't get the memo =). great action in that shot, just the flash was too intense.

5d mk2 - Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L - Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 tilt/shift - Zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 -
Epson RD-1 - Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar
Leica Digilux 2

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Plano, TX
Jan 21, 2011 16:13 |  #7

crman wrote in post #11686186external link
Wow tough crowd. Did I mension this was my first time? Seriously though I do see your point. I suppose I tend to like the over processed look (maybe shows my inexperience). Thanks for the comments ......

Here's the thing. These are people's life long memories (hopefully) they are not a game or a thing for you to play with. If you like the plastic look, that's up to you, but please, give the couple a clean copy. I feel like so many people forget it's not about them, it's about the couple. Yes, they hire me for my style, but I still want to make sure I am giving them something that isn't going to be like "WTF" in 20 years or longer.

And, you can't improve if people sugar coat things, right?

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.comexternal link
Like Me On Facebookexternal link

tamko
416 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Bay Area, CA
Jan 21, 2011 17:29 |  #8

auroraskye wrote in post #11684975external link

auroraskye wrote in post #11687509external link
Here's the thing. These are people's life long memories (hopefully) they are not a game or a thing for you to play with. If you like the plastic look, that's up to you, but please, give the couple a clean copy. I feel like so many people forget it's not about them, it's about the couple. Yes, they hire me for my style, but I still want to make sure I am giving them something that isn't going to be like "WTF" in 20 years or longer.

agreed, the post-processing is a bit over done...a little of the dramatic edit is okay, but keeping them clean is more important.

second thing is that you posting up here and asking for CC. Then of cause we are not going to sugar coating it for you, that way you will learn faster.

Like the concept on 1,2,3, and 6...

alan

My Equipment | Facebook Fan Pageexternal link | POTN Feedback | eBay Feedbackexternal link

drdiesel1
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
NorCal
Jan 21, 2011 19:08 |  #9

crman wrote in post #11686186external link

You'll learn to back off as your experience grows. Don't take it too hard.
At least people are being honest from the get go, so it will help you down the road when your work changes for the better.
Keep at it and don't take what everyone says the wrong way. Just remember, it's for your benefit in the long run ;)

auroraskye wrote in post #11687509external link

Absolutely ;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

supernova74
956 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Jan 21, 2011 21:02 |  #10

Look im no expert and dont claim to be. Ive done a handfull of weddings and try to aim for one a month. I work full time in another job and know that this is never going to be my source of income. The key to processing in my opinion are contrast, sharpness and converting to black n white. Lately ive started to play around with the faded look, but alway give my clients the original copy as well. The thing is if you soften peoplese faces too much ie # 5 in your set, its not who those people really are. They look plastic. If I was doing a glam shoot and thats what the subject wanted, then by all means.

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebookexternal link

TheMaggedy
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Austin TX
Jan 21, 2011 21:23 as a reply to supernova74's post |  #11

You did a really nice job on the detail shot on #2, though I think it might look a bit more polished as a black and white. Not crazy about what looks kind of like selective color (?) on the bubbles in the last shot. I like the shot overall - just not the effect.

I've only done 3 weddings myself as a second shooting and am FAR from an authority. I think it was great that you stepped in. You got some great suggestions here on how to improve your processing to give the couple some very nice photos!

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III
http://mairimages.comexternal link

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 22, 2011 02:58 |  #12

Don't be scared to get in front of other people. You are the photographer! Good work!

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

digidiva
Goldmember
2,002 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Kent, UK
Jan 24, 2011 08:54 |  #13

Not a wedding photog here.....but I rather like 1 -4.
Have to agree about #5. It's scary.
Keep on with it though. Go back to the original and try again.
You've more courage than I, sir! :-)

BUYING A CANON DOESN'T MAKE YOU A PHOTOGRAPHER, IT MAKES YOU A CANON OWNER.

POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

jenirose3
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Jan 24, 2011 09:09 |  #14

I learned a while back that most people on this forum truly don't want honest CC even when they ask for it. Which is why a lot of Pro's don't even waste time with detailed CC. I have given detail image by image cc with how I would fix it next time only to have the OP **** and moan about getting the cc [which he/she asked for in the first place]. Not saying this OP is doing that just explaining why a lot of Pro's don't want to spend time giving cc.

I agree with Brandi though. Weddings are something that has to be done right the first time. Those are once in a lifetime shots that can't be re-done.

Jeni
Canon 5D|20D|L Glass|Primes|ABs|580ex​II|pocketwizards
Looking for: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
http://www.lolaandme.c​omexternal link, http://www.provocateur​photography.comexternal link, http://www.modelmayhem​.com/provocateurphotog​raphyexternal link

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jan 24, 2011 09:20 |  #15

jenirose3 wrote in post #11703801external link
Those are once in a lifetime shots that can't be re-done.

Unless you are like me who is in the throws of divorce number two :lol:

Peter

sponsored links

3,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.