Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of February 2011 (Sun)   #811
glenn_i

Default Re: Cotton Carrier Review with photos!

Quick question - with this system (vest and side holster) can I use the side slider for my telephoto lens without a second camera? I'd like to have two lenses available for quick change - my 70-200 F2.8 and 35-70 F2.8 on my 40D. I keep the 20D in my backpack as an emergency back-up. Is seems as If I can have the 35-70 mounted on the camera in the center and the 70-200 on the side.

Can you add metal (such as a guitar string) to the straps to keep them from being cut? How much does the equipment move when jogging? Has anyone tried riding a bike with this?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Glenn
glenn_i is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2011 (Sun)   #812
katodog
Goldmember

I've ridden my bike with it on, doesn't really move that much at all. I've climbed with it, no movement. As for cutting the straps, You could cut both shoulder straps off the system and you still can't get it off. I highly doubt that a person cutting your straps would take the time to cut two straps, let alone the three necessary to remove it. You can put one of the hubs on the tripod foot of the 70-200mm and put it on the side holster. I'd put an end cap on it though or you might get dirt and dust on the rear element.

After selling my 20D, which leaves me with two bodies, I find myself with a spare holster. But, being the nutcase that I am I attached a spare hub to the pouch for my 550EX, now I can wear the flash on my side and have it ready if I need it. I can't see it being a stretch of the imagination to put a spare lens on the side holster instead of a complete body/lens combo.

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2011 (Mon)   #813
JJD.Photography

Spare lens on the side holster should not be a problem at all.

I've rode bikes with the carrier and the chest mount utilized with no issues.
I've never jogged with the carrier and do not have any plans to, sorry.

What is the deal with wanting to add metal to keep the straps from being cut? Anticipating a quick robbery?

JJD.Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #814
glenn_i

The reason for adding a metal to the straps is to avoid a "cut and run" incident. Although it has not happened to me - I have heard of instances in Europe where it did result in the loss of a camera.

One item I heard about occured in Italy where two people on motor scooters come up from the back - cut the straps and make off with the camera.

I was thinking of discouraging the bandits from even trying with me by adding a guitar string.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Glenn
glenn_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #815
katodog
Goldmember

There is no way someone can smash-n-grab gear on a Cotton Carrier, and there's no way someone can cut-n-run with the Cotton Carrier because the design itself prohibits this.

The shoulder straps are merely there for stability, and don't support much weight. Cutting the two shoulder straps will not allow someone to take your gear, they'd have to also either unbuckle or cut the waist strap.

Your gear is safer on the Cotton Carrier than it is in probably any other photographic carry solution. The reasons:

1.) Your gear is on you, and it is in plain sight. Thieves, even if they are smart enough to know how to get the gear off, are creatures of opportunity. They look for the quick win, the easy grab. They arenít going to look at people who present a difficult target, or people who carry themselves with a manner of confidence. A thief isnít going to look at someone who is physically dominant, someone who is in control. With your gear on your body, secured in a fashion that in unknown to them, they will not choose you as their target. They will not, even if they stand and watch you for an hour studying your every move, choose you if they feel obtaining the goal is not an easy task. The design of the Cotton Carrier, the way in which you have to remove the gear alone is enough to deter a criminal.

Having the gear on you, that close, and in an unknown way, is more than enough to deter a criminal.

2.) You are in control of yourself and your gear. On the Cotton Carrier your gear is more secure than it would be on a shoulder strap, R-strap, etc.. Your gear is less mobile, and less likely to get in your way. You can have both hands free, and in that you present a hard target. If a criminal has to think about what you can do with your hands, he may not choose you. If you look like you can maneuver without hindrance, he may not choose you. If you have hands-free ability, he may not choose you. The reason: because if you can present defense of yourself, they will not strike.

3.) You really canít cut the Cotton Carrier. A lot of thieves are thieves of speed, meaning that they are looking for the quick grab. With a shoulder strap, with some exceptions (Pac-safe et al), it is easy for a thief to simply come up behind you and cut the strap. Easy access to your gear will make you a better target. Cut strap, lose gear. Even something like the Pac-safe strap does not provide as much security, because the strap can be pulled off your shoulder and away from your body. On the Cotton Carrier, you can cut both shoulder straps clean off, and your gear stays on you. The thief who just cut your straps will have marbles rolling around in his head for a few seconds, and then heíll probably run off. The thief canít simply run up and pull the Cotton Carrier off. Heck, itís hard enough for us to get it off ourselves sometimes. Easy targets are easy for a reason, because thieves know how to attack. Hard targets or unknown targets are harder, because it makes the thief think. Which is something they most likely arenít ready to do, especially on the spot. Thieves like convenience, they like fast opportunity. If they donít have it, they move on.

With your gear on the Cotton Carrier you have more options than you would with straps. You can defend yourself, you can use your cell phone, you can run. Try to run with gear on straps, itís hard to do because the gear moves. Do the same with the Cotton Carrier. Sure, the gear will move, but not anywhere near as much as it would on straps. Try to defend against a punch with straps on, your gear will probably get in your way, preventing you from effectively defending yourself. Do it with the Cotton Carrier, your body and hands have more freedom of motion, more ability to defend.

I have trained thousands of people, many of which carry full tactical or military gear, and it is far easier to move and defend with gear that is secure to your body. It is not easy to defend when gear has the ability to move in your way, or has the ability to fall. Even against an armed attacker, it is far easier to defend with gear snug to your body.

The one thing I have always told people when training them is this: If somebody wants to hurt you bad enough, they will figure out a way to do it. If somebody wants your stuff bad enough, they will figure out a way to get it. Against an armed attacker, youíre best bet is to just do what they say. Itís only gear, thatís what insurance is for. Better to live and lose the cost of new gear than to fight and lose more than gear. Even I, a formally trained person, would think before reacting to someone with a gun or knife. You canít Kung Fu a bullet.

But, at least the Cotton Carrier provides a better chance, a better choice.

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #816
viet

^ same can be said with my Lowepro belt & a couple of carabiners, and they don't cost half the price of a CC system.
viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #817
katodog
Goldmember

And they won't hold your gear like the Cotton Carrier does. What's your point??

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #818
JChin

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_i View Post
The reason for adding a metal to the straps is to avoid a "cut and run" incident. Although it has not happened to me - I have heard of instances in Europe where it did result in the loss of a camera.

One item I heard about occured in Italy where two people on motor scooters come up from the back - cut the straps and make off with the camera.

I was thinking of discouraging the bandits from even trying with me by adding a guitar string.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Glenn
If they are driving by with scooter, I'd hate to be dragged to death if they try to cut the strap and drive off but can't get through the cable.
JChin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #819
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
If they are driving by with scooter, I'd hate to be dragged to death if they try to cut the strap and drive off but can't get through the cable.
Then carry it in a way that is easy to steal.

J.

"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #820
JChin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Then carry it in a way that is easy to steal.

J.
Not my point. If they are going to come at me with a speeding knife, they can have it. I have insurance on my gear, besides it would be a good excuse to upgrade.

However, I would prefer to carry the gear in a way that does not invite them with a "please take me" sign.
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #821
viet

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
And they won't hold your gear like the Cotton Carrier does. What's your point??
My points are exactly the points you put on the previous post, all the theft deterrence and whatnot. It's cheaper, and it also holds my gear more securely than the CC. Have you even tried it?

Last edited by viet : 8th of February 2011 (Tue) at 17:38.
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #822
katodog
Goldmember

Haven't tried it, but I doubt it can hold the gear more securely. I'd like to see some images of you wearing it though, so I can see if I'm mistaken. I'd gladly bow to the "better" system if it could be proven to me.

I won't give up my Cotton Carrier though.

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #823
JChin

Not sure if one is better than the other. Each photographer has their own preference. I personally use different systems for different shoots. It also depends on how I feel the night before when I am packing my gear.
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #824
katodog
Goldmember

Personal preference aside, I can't see any other system with a pivot-lock on it. The Spider Holster comes close with a locking system, but you can pull that off a belt fairly easily. Plus it allows too much freedom for your gear to bobble around. I don't see a belt system with carabiners being more "locked-down" than the Cotton, but like I said, show me images and I might change my mind.

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #825
viet

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
Haven't tried it, but I doubt it can hold the gear more securely. I'd like to see some images of you wearing it though, so I can see if I'm mistaken. I'd gladly bow to the "better" system if it could be proven to me.

I won't give up my Cotton Carrier though.
No need to give up anything, keep it if you are happy with it. From your points above, I'm just merely trying to show that there are systems that might be as good or better for a cheaper price if you are willing to try it.

I very much doubt any thief can cut through my carabiners to get to my gear, and a cheap $1 'biner is rated to hold at least 150lbs. Don't know how much your CC holder can carry. BTW, I did try out a CC system and while it's better than using two straps (i.e. Rstraps) I didn't really like it. I shoot events mainly, and the waist holder didn't play well with longer lens when I had to kneel down for a shot.

I had a shot showing me wearing the cheap carabiners somewhere either in this thread or the wedding forum, too lazy to look it up. If I get a chance, I'll find the shot again.