Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 04 Aug 2007 (Saturday) 20:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: PHISHING WARNING!

this thread is locked
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 04, 2007 20:46 |  #1

It has come to our attention that some users have been sent a PM (private messages) containing a fake link (impersonating normal link to POTN forum page) to a phishing page, trying to get people's passwords. The spammer is now banned and PM messages deleted, but we would like you to remember:

Always check that when you type your forum password, the URL in browser address bar starts with

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...

If there is something else there please notify us ASAP. Thanks!

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
300Daz
353 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Jun 21, 2009 07:04 |  #2

Just thought I would let you know I received an email (in the account I have linked to my 'User CP') from a spammer which included the following link:

http://cashdirect.weeb​ly.com/external link

The email stated I had rec'd a PM but when I checked my inbox at my User CP there was no message there.

I hope something can be done to block any further activity by this (and any other) spammer/s.

Thanks,
Daz

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/d_kent/external link
All Ansel Adams quotes are currently in use. Please try again later.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Jun 23, 2009 09:22 |  #3

Unfortunately we cannot prevent spammers from using pm's to send such links. But as soon as members report such pm's to us the spammer will be banned and all pm's sent by that member is deleted. And thats the explanation why you did not have any pm's when you checked.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

300Daz
353 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Jun 25, 2009 07:33 |  #4

Thanks.

Daz

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/d_kent/external link
All Ansel Adams quotes are currently in use. Please try again later.

40Doodle
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Aug 09, 2009 09:32 |  #5

I got a strange email today from POTN coming from this email address:
Canon Digital Photography Forums [webmaster@photography​-on-the.net]

The link in the message that says it takes you back to POTN so you can view your private message actually does take you back to this address, but there is no private message waiting (my inbox was empty):
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/private.​php

The email though (underneath all this) does advertise making money with your camera and signed by someone calling themselves "Stephen". I don't really get the purpose.

Just thought I give you a heads up that someone appears to be doing some spamming.

PS: The website link associated with the SPAM email I got was to:
http://www.digicamcash​.net.tcexternal link

The strange thing I wondered about is how does this person get email addresses from POTN members and then send out a message that uses all the POTN ID's? I'm familiar with Phishing, but this email did not do any redirect to another website. It connects right back here and has every appearance of coming direct from POTN.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 09, 2009 10:02 |  #6

40Doodle, you have got PM receipt of spam PM, PM was deleted and sender banned before you logged again in POTN - so the message was not there any more.

40Doodle
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Aug 09, 2009 10:06 |  #7

OK, thanks...I was wondering what happened to the PM and am certainly happy that you were on top of it and had already removed the SPAM.

ImageGroupPhotography
49 posts
Joined Mar 2008
San Diego CA Area
Jul 01, 2010 13:03 |  #8

I was spammed by this Dbag

WalAllieo763

Nick Morris
The Image Group Photography
imagegroupphoto@gmail.​com
www.theimagegroupphoto​graphy.comexternal link

soulfly22583
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Mobile, AL
Jul 01, 2010 13:10 |  #9

I just got an email saying I had a PM from this guy - FloJamauu937

Im sure more spam, just wanted to inform the mods

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jragland/collec​tions/external link
---------------
DSLR - Canon Rebel XSi/450D w/ 18-55mm Kit Lens (x-mas gift 2008!)
Point & Shoot - Canon SD630 - about to die, has been a good companion

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Jul 01, 2010 13:12 |  #10

We are working on it.

Rodeo
24 posts
Joined Jun 2010
N.Yorkshire, England. U.K.
Jul 01, 2010 15:07 |  #11

As a new member, just a few days, I already received email from a "Banned" member". Not only that but having asked a ? I received two kind replies but now I'm unable to respond - as my log in, even when confirmed, asks me again to "Log in". I don't understand why I have to go through such a complex ritual just to get in touch. All of which makes me suspicious of this site. Well please, you "Canon Digital Photography" people, I think a reasonable explanation is in order. Rodeo.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jul 01, 2010 15:12 |  #12

Rodeo wrote in post #10461763external link
As a new member, just a few days, I already received email from a "Banned" member". Not only that but having asked a ? I received two kind replies but now I'm unable to respond - as my log in, even when confirmed, asks me again to "Log in". I don't understand why I have to go through such a complex ritual just to get in touch. All of which makes me suspicious of this site. Well please, you "Canon Digital Photography" people, I think a reasonable explanation is in order. Rodeo.

You will receive email when PM arrives if you have in http://photography-on-the.net ...rofile.php?do=edito​ptions ticked on "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages". If ithe message you received by PM is spam (and sender banned), it is most likely deleted when you get here to read it, but we have no access to deleted sent email from internet.

If you have trouble logging in, make sure you have cookies enabled and firewall or some other security suite you use does not delete them automatically.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Feb 10, 2011 12:03 |  #13

Just thougth I would bump this to remind everybody to check links in received pm's before clicking on them.

sponsored links

16,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
PHISHING WARNING!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.