Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 06 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 10:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fed up with USPS...

Gurkkk
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 16, 2011 21:22 |  #46

Mookalafalas wrote in post #11858111external link
I wrote an email asking where my package was and was surprised to get a nice answer back (it came back "onto the radar" a couple of days ago). Someone above said there are 600,000 employees of the USPS. If 99 out of a 100 are good, that still leaves 6,000 who aren't. They are the ones everyone hears about. That's too bad. No one posts because their mail arrived on time, even if it was door to door, 12,000 miles in 5 days, which really is incredible when you stop to consider the logistics:)

It's micro managed. Sure if one person took that mail from NY and brought it to my door to LA I'd be impressed. All I'm pissed about this one chick who fails to pick it up from the usps hub and bring it to my door.

Here's the latest: I bought a lens and it arrived yesterday. This time she brought it to my door and rang the bell (already impressed). I open the door she gives me the paper to sign. I turn my back and sign the paper on the table. I hear a BAAMMMMM. She just dropped the box on the floor while standing. She was too lazy to friggin kneel down to lay it down. She did this infront of me like it's such a normal thing. Thank god people who I've bought from has been great at packing.

sponsored links
Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Southern Taiwan
Feb 16, 2011 23:47 |  #47

Sounds kind of like you guys have open hostility going...

Call me Al Gear Flickrexternal link
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Gurkkk
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 17, 2011 03:09 |  #48

Mookalafalas wrote in post #11859265external link
Sounds kind of like you guys have open hostility going...

I've done nothing to cause it! Infact we tip her every thanksgiving/christmas​. I don't think she does stuff on purpose. She's just clueless.

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NE Indiana
Feb 17, 2011 08:26 |  #49

Gurkkk wrote in post #11859726external link
I've done nothing to cause it! Infact we tip her every thanksgiving/christmas​. I don't think she does stuff on purpose. She's just clueless.

Sounds like you need to give her a clue card then.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

wtdoor
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Northern VA, USA
Mar 02, 2011 15:24 as a reply to post 11794922 |  #50

I know it's old thread, but I had read this earlier and something at work happened today that was relevant, so I figured I might as well resurrect it.

We've got a small office (~5 people) and a new admin person started recently. He was cleaning out lab space and opened up a box; the equipment in it didn't have one of our labels on it, so he took a closer look at the box -- it was supposed to go to a company on the floor below ours, so we took it downstairs, and after talking to them we've started to piece things together.

The unit was delivered to our space 9 months ago. At the time we had an incompetent admin person (daughter of a friend of the boss) who didn't check to whom the item was supposed to go, signed off on it, and just threw it in the lab on top of another pile of boxes (yes, it turns out that's how she handled a number of items). This item was an expensive piece of hardware and apparently things got quite contentious between them, the seller, and Fedex -- and of course, no one could read the signature or figure out where the thing had been delivered. Knowing our ex-admin person, it's even likely that the company downstairs came up, asked if anything had been delivered that wasn't ours, and was told no.

Amazing how difficult it is to get packages to the right people ....

... in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance ...
http://www.pbase.com/d​oug95external link

dkim82
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Garden Grove, CA
Mar 02, 2011 23:48 |  #51

she's probably got pension too.. my mailman threatened to pepper spray my 5lbs yorkie. what more can we expect from the government?

ups has never failed me.

5d mk2 - Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L - Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 tilt/shift - Zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 -
Epson RD-1 - Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar
Leica Digilux 2

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Nov 2009
USA
Mar 03, 2011 07:10 |  #52

UPS has always failed me and USPS is so good. Only once they left a notice without making an attempt to deliver. UPS is always doing that and I have filed complaints many times - no change. FedEx is crazy as well as they always deliver after 8:30PM (mostly 9:30PM and sometimes at 11:57PM!) but they do deliver.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Mar 03, 2011 10:20 |  #53

Sounds like you have a problem with your local mail carrier, not the USPS. They are doing their job and your local carrier is screwing it up. Only as strong as weakest link and all that.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,427 posts
Joined Jul 2005
South_the 601
Mar 04, 2011 18:58 |  #54

I've had some pretty rotten experiences with local USPS office. The way they operate and treat customers is no wonder they are in financial ruin.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon PowerShot S95
MY PBASE GALLERYexternal link

340 posts
Joined Dec 2010
San Diego
Mar 04, 2011 20:28 |  #55

You should see the big o boy at my USPS office - straight out of a motorcycle gang convention. Long greying beard, deadly scowl on his face and thick tattooed forearms coming out of that USPS uniform. Often he's the only guy tending the counter and also often with a never ending line of fidgety and impatient people. Then as soon as you get up to the counter you find out he's the nicest guy possible having a great day and treating everybody like it. They're all just doing their jobs and like in any other profession in the world some are better than others. Not all but some still understand they can make it easier on others simply by doing what they're paid to do.

I used to have a terrible UPS guy. Called to complain several times about bogus service exceptions (finding the local terminal number to complain is harder than finding gold). Finally I decided to learn his early schedule. Whenever I was expecting something I would just happen to be walking my dog through the local plaza where he starts his day. Problem solved. He has since been replaced with the current driver who is great.

BTW I used to own three FedEx Ground routes. I can tell you that specifically FedEx Ground drivers have the toughest job I have ever come across. I'll be forever grateful to my drivers because knowing exactly what goes in a typical day, I sure did not want to be out there running a route. Those guys really earn every single penny they make.

7D

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Mar 05, 2011 11:02 |  #56

alpha_1976 wrote in post #11947388external link
UPS has always failed me and USPS is so good. Only once they left a notice without making an attempt to deliver. UPS is always doing that and I have filed complaints many times - no change. FedEx is crazy as well as they always deliver after 8:30PM (mostly 9:30PM and sometimes at 11:57PM!) but they do deliver.

My UPS guy delivers after 7pm in my area. He sets his own route for deliveries. I asked why so late - reason was he knows my neighborhood better than other neighborhoods while driving at night, does the unfamiliar neighborhoods during daylight hours so he can find the correct address. Possibly your FedEx driver does the same?

-Strike-
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Ontario, Canada
Mar 06, 2011 18:07 |  #57

USPS has been pretty good on my end here. Just get random delays here and there. It really sucks up here when you have to deal with USPS > Canada Customs, then Canada Post.. Ordered a 60D on Feb 20th, hit customs a week later, and it's been held up there ever since. Still no sign of the package. :/ Some things get held for minutes to months at customs.

Best shipping so far for me was an auto part from California to Ontario Canada overnight via FedEx.. Paid out the ass for it, but my god that was quick. lol

60D | EF-S 18-135 | Slik Pro 580DX

sponsored links

2,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fed up with USPS...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.