Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 12 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 20:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My $8 DIY R-Strap

viper42391
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, USA
Mar 12, 2011 20:31 |  #1

I set out to make my own R-Strap instead of dropping $60 on one. I am very pleased with the way it came out. I used a universal strap, actually meant for a rifle which was ~$5, a double-sided carabiner (I think it has another official name, but you get the picture) which was ~$2.50 both picked up at Bass Pro Shops, and a 1/4" eye bolt which was ~$.50 from Lowes. The great thing about it is that the strap is already padded and has the same padding design and feel as the lowe-pro straps I've seen.

The only down side to this setup is that the carabiner is a little bit smaller than the nylon strap is wide, so it doesn't slide up and down the strap, but this doesn't keep it from functioning like it's supposed to, I can still pull the camera quickly up to my eye from my waist, I just have to help the strap back around when putting it down. This could be solved by using a wider carabiner or hooking it into another adapter similar to what black rapid has around their straps. In the future, I will continue to adapt the strap and add pockets to it as well as trim the bolt down so it doesn't stick out so far.

For the cost and the money saved, I love it. It is very comfortable and easy to use! Take a look!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D | Gripped XSi | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8 II | 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Speedlite 420ex

sponsored links
Jim60D
163 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Mar 12, 2011 20:56 |  #2

My only suggestion is to shorten the eye-bolt as much as possible to so as to reduce the torque it might exert if the strap were pulled sideways. I suppose you might also add a thick steel washer under the nut to spread out the load more.

Agged
276 posts
Joined Sep 2008
British Columbia
Mar 12, 2011 21:06 as a reply to Jim60D's post |  #3

Great idea, however the eye bolt kills it for me. Kinda cheesy.

Pony up another $18 or so for a proper R fastener bolt. You'd still be way ahead.

Flickr (external link)
Feedback: http://photography-on-the.net ...rch.php?searchid=27​565292

dkim82
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Garden Grove, CA
Mar 12, 2011 21:10 |  #4

very resourceful! however I see two potential issues:

1. the eye bolt has a dangerous gap - if you can weld that thing shut, I'd feel more secure. in time, because it is supporting so much weight, it may become looser, making it more and more possible for the carbiner clip to slip out.

2. the carbiner doesn't really look that secure. worst case scenarios seem to occur more often than we wish, and with this design I can see how the thin nylon strap could sneak through the clip of the carbiner. I like the blackrapid design because it has a screw that locks the clip, making such a sneaky strap scenario impossible.

If it works for you kudos for finding a great money saving alternative, but I'd perhaps address the above issues to prevent a terrible crash to the pavement!

(I won't shoot without my RS-7!)

5d mk2 - Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L - Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 tilt/shift - Zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 -
Epson RD-1 - Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar
Leica Digilux 2

viper42391
THREAD ­ STARTER
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, USA
Mar 12, 2011 21:37 |  #5

I will be continuing to improve it, but as of now, I am going to be very careful and gentle with it, especially since it'll be on my brand new 7D :P I don't think I'll ever let it hang for more than 30 seconds without a glance to check on it until I know it's safe.

I will probably add some sort of backup safety strap just in case something goes wrong and then eventually probably use a manfrotto QR plate with the D ring or just go ahead and get a BR connector.

As of now, I'm not too worried about the gap in the eye hook, I've checked it out and made sure there is no way it can slip through without being unclipped. I was actually originally going for a QR plate, but couldn't find one and saw this and thought, for 49 cents, it'll do until I get one.

The strap in the carabiner is a little fishy, but even when I'm trying to take it out, it's somewhat difficult due to the strap being bent long ways. I'll definitely be keeping my eye keenly on it though. I will probably eventually get a locking carabiner as well, one that you have to push down the sleeve in order to open it, which was also what I was looking for, but they didn't carry any in the store.

Thanks for the feedback!

7D | Gripped XSi | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8 II | 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Speedlite 420ex

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007
CA
Mar 12, 2011 21:52 as a reply to viper42391's post |  #6

I wouldn't worry too much about that eye bolt. A 1/4"-20 eye bolt will hold 100+ pounds easily without separating and a measly 2-3 pound camera\lens will not cause it to fail. I would shorten it just a bit though as that would cause problems putting it in most gear bags.

As for the "Cheesy" comments... You're entitled to them but functional is functional and if it works, who cares what it looks like. Personally, I don't think it looks all that bad. I've seen FAR worse from even fairly high end professionals, though their work is FAR better than mine, so I won't make any snide comments on what their gear looks like.

Great job! ;)

Nobody cares about your gear list...

Woodsmoke
134 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Flint, Michigan
Mar 12, 2011 22:30 as a reply to JayCee Images's post |  #7

Be very careful with that "S" shaped carabiner. I've used them for a key ring for a couple years and had to go searching for my keys twice because the spring loaded wire clasp on them is weak and opens easily and they came off my belt loop. You have a good idea, but I'd shorten the eye bolt like others suggest and keep up the search for a more secure clip.

John
Gear List

yjt
359 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Mar 13, 2011 19:06 |  #8

that would bother me so much when shooting vertically.

7D (Gripped) || 24-70 f2.8L || 50 f1.4 || 70-200mm f4L
Flickrexternal link

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007
CA
Mar 13, 2011 20:11 |  #9

yjt wrote in post #12013478external link
that would bother me so much when shooting vertically.

A downside I am finding to most of the BR system(at least the lower line RS straps that I have tried)... :confused:

Nobody cares about your gear list...

natums
739 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 18, 2011 17:06 |  #10

I tried this exact same thing, I use 2 nuts tightened against each other to help line up the hook better and tighten into the body easier. I am quickly getting tired of the hook, I don't shoot portrait often, but it is very irritating when I do.

I don't like the r-strap either, or having the strap hang over the top of the camera. I am thinking of getting this...
http://www.amazon.com ...S5W7N&colid=13SG4F0​0XC0ZLexternal link

seems like it might suit my needs better, low impact and quick release.

| Current Gearexternal link |
| Vimeoexternal link | The Daily Disciplineexternal link | Flickrexternal link |

M.Quick
441 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Europe
Mar 19, 2011 12:13 |  #11

dkim82 wrote in post #12009238external link
very resourceful! however I see two potential issues:

1. the eye bolt has a dangerous gap - if you can weld that thing shut, I'd feel more secure. in time, because it is supporting so much weight, it may become looser, making it more and more possible for the carbiner clip to slip out.

2. the carbiner doesn't really look that secure. worst case scenarios seem to occur more often than we wish, and with this design I can see how the thin nylon strap could sneak through the clip of the carbiner. I like the blackrapid design because it has a screw that locks the clip, making such a sneaky strap scenario impossible.

If it works for you kudos for finding a great money saving alternative, but I'd perhaps address the above issues to prevent a terrible crash to the pavement!

(I won't shoot without my RS-7!)

On 1. i'd think the carabiner would bend broken before the eye bolt even budges. If you've had one of those size eye bolts in your hand and tryed modifying them, you'd know that they can take a crap load of force before it even happens anything. And to be honest, the carabiner seems to be the weakest link in the chain above!

But i'm with you on your thoughts!

I'd definately make the eye bolt short as possible and use a "safer" carabiner, depending on what lens you got mounted on your dslr ofcourse. If you ain't going heavy, i see no problem though.

My "cheap" pro-setup;
Canon EOS 450D | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200L f2.8 IS USM | YN-468 v2
8GB SDHC Class10 | BG-E5 + 4xLP-E5 | RC-4 | Canon E1 | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

sponsored links

2,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
My $8 DIY R-Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.