Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #31
BrandonSi
Goldmember

Default Re: Vagabond II or Mini ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardofrances View Post
By reading Rob Galbraithīs article about the mini and looking on how it performs (worst than every other option including the Vagabond II if you look at the tables with the recycle times ) I donīt think it is really what I would choose for location power even if its main feature is a smaller size and weight. I would go with a Vagabond II, LP 750 or Innovatronix Explorer XT than with a Mini.
There are trade-offs with everything.. Money aside, I'd rather have three mini's, each dedicated to a strobe, lasting much longer than a single Vagabond II, with a slightly slower recycle time, and weighing in at about half the weight.

It's not unreasonable for a Vagabond II to go for $375 or higher (used). Three VML's would be ~$720. So given a three light setup.. at just under twice the price, you get better performance (3 dedicated VML vs 1VII), much longer lasting power, and still coming in about 50% of the weight of the Vagabond II.

If you do enough outdoor work, an extra $375 for longer/faster/lighter would definitely be worth the money (IMO).

It's not a 1:1 comparison where the VML shines performance-wise, but its ability to scale at an affordable price makes it very useful.
Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #32
jaycky
Goldmember

Quote:
By reading Rob Galbraithīs article about the mini and looking on how it performs (worst than every other option including the Vagabond II if you look at the tables with the recycle times ) I donīt think it is really what I would choose for location power even if its main feature is a smaller size and weight. I would go with a Vagabond II, LP 750 or Innovatronix Explorer XT than with a Mini.
Are you serious bulky arm breaking weight compared to this small pack of cigs?
Watch this video they do not lie

http://vimeo.com/19073905

i will be picking up more in the near future no doubt about this!

Last edited by jaycky : 2nd of April 2011 (Sat) at 13:31.
jaycky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #33
eduardofrances

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSi View Post
There are trade-offs with everything.. Money aside, I'd rather have three mini's, each dedicated to a strobe, lasting much longer than a single Vagabond II, with a slightly slower recycle time, and weighing in at about half the weight.

It's not unreasonable for a Vagabond II to go for $375 or higher (used). Three VML's would be ~$720. So given a three light setup.. at just under twice the price, you get better performance (3 dedicated VML vs 1VII), much longer lasting power, and still coming in about 50% of the weight of the Vagabond II.

If you do enough outdoor work, an extra $375 for longer/faster/lighter would definitely be worth the money (IMO).

It's not a 1:1 comparison where the VML shines performance-wise, but its ability to scale at an affordable price makes it very useful.
It is a subjective choice of course, I value recycle time a lot and the mini in those tests almost doubled the recycled time of what the rest of the tested units did, but different choices will be made based on different priorities
eduardofrances is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #34
eduardofrances

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycky View Post
Are you serious bulky arm breaking weight compared to this small pack of cigs?
Watch this video they do not lie

http://vimeo.com/19073905

i will be picking up more in the near future no doubt about this!
Well thatīs why gear bags have wheels, to tell you the truth I have never seen the weight of gear as an issue, because I have been used to heavy gear all my life (and it is good exercise too).

My problem with the mini vs the rest of offers is these times:
(from Rob Galbraith tests)

Six seconds with 2 monolights is kinda too much, 9 is beyond too much, but my priorities are subjective of course and everyone can choose what they need based on their priorities. I
eduardofrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #35
kenyee

Quote:
Six seconds with 2 monolights is kinda too much, 9 is beyond too much, but my priorities are subjective of course and everyone can choose what they need based on their priorities. I
AFAIK, the model for this was Bacilonur's pelican pack. He dedicated one per strobe...it was a cool concept at the time and I tried building one too. The VB mini's are meant to be used that way IIRC, and not for WL3200's or Zeus or 2400WS packs either (though they tested with it)...just a 640WS Einstein or smaller.

You can plug more stuff into it and suffer the slow recycle times to save your wallet, but beware that wasn't the intended design use case...or get a VBII w/ the bigger inverter which is needed for fast recycle times w/ high power heads/packs...
Old 2nd of April 2011 (Sat)   #36
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

So far for my uses I have noticed next to no differences in performance between my old VBA and my new VML when used with an Elinchrom 600RX. But maybe its my shooting style or just the way I use it? Either way, Im glad I sold the VB2 and move to the VML. I have a second VML on order in fact. Its great to pack so light.
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #37
John Schell

Quote:
It's not unreasonable for a Vagabond II to go for $375 or higher (used).
Just wanted to point out that that isn't exactly correct. They go for 270 to just under 300 used. I bought and sold one and watched as the 270-280 ones would sell in seconds while the 300+ dollar ones would sit for days.
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #38
k.CHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtschell View Post
Just wanted to point out that that isn't exactly correct. They go for 270 to just under 300 used. I bought and sold one and watched as the 270-280 ones would sell in seconds while the 300+ dollar ones would sit for days.

Until you look at ebay haha, past 3 weeks ive been watching, all of the v2's sold for 350+ used.
k.CHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #39
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information

Vagabond lust has driven some to lose all sense of reason:

Dave F.
tetrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #40
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Dang, should have sold mine on ebay.
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #41
BrandonSi
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtschell View Post
I was looking at eBay prices.. I guess you can always get a deal from those who will take less than market value in order to avoid eBay and associated fees / hassles.
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #42
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
Dang, should have sold mine on ebay.
same here.

I do love my mini. Ordered one more for the 2nd light for on the go shoots. I hate running cables from one light to the other. To Eduardo, he must be shooting indoors (even though he says location), then wheels work and weight is not much an issue but when shooting say seniors or 1-2 person shots onthe go like engagements, weddings etc. where assistant holding a light pole with one light, mini is awesome setup and much better than two speedlites with external packs.

Last edited by bobbyz : 4th of April 2011 (Mon) at 08:45.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #43
John Schell

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.CHU View Post
Until you look at ebay haha, past 3 weeks ive been watching, all of the v2's sold for 350+ used.
Well that's just... annoying!
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #44
Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER

How would the mini do supporting a 1200w/s pack?

Speedotron users, untie!
Village_Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #45
kenyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village_Idiot View Post
How would the mini do supporting a 1200w/s pack?
Unless you like shooting slow, don't do it. You need a bigger inverter. Look at the chart above for VBII vs. mini and 2 640WS lights...