Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of April 2011 (Wed)   #1
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default -= THE FILTER FAQ =-

FILTER FAQ

-= PROTECTIVE FILTERS FAQ =-
Recommendations here on filter quality and multicoating will apply to all other filter types as well.

-=What is the effect of a Polarizer Filter=-
and why it can't be replicated in PhotoShop

-=Beginner's Guide to Neutral Density Filters=-
Including solid and graduated ND filters

-=GND Buyers FAQ=-

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Last edited by Jon : 24th of May 2011 (Tue) at 13:45.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: -= THE FILTER FAQ =-

Because it's not spelled out in any of the above links:
Neutral density filters are variously reported any of three ways.
First, there's the filter factor - a filter may be 2x, 4x, 8x, . . . which is how much you need to increase the exposure time over when you're not using a filter.
Then there's the number of stops you'll need to increase the exposure - 1, 2, 3 . . . stops
Then there's the "log density" value 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 . . .
Different vendors will use their own preferred one of the above. They all work out to the same thing in the end
  • 2x, 1 stop and 0.3 all mean the same
  • 4x, 2 stops and 0.6 again all mean the same
  • 8x, 3 stops and 0.9 all mean the same
  • and at the high end, 1024x, 10 stop and 3.0 all work out to the same.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of December 2013 (Sat)   #3
Stuntman Mike

Wish I had read this before ordering an 85mm filter set. *Formatt was kind enough to change the order to 100mm, just found out!*

I figured 85mm > my 77mm lenses but didn't consider the filter holder extending into the frame at 17mm on a FF sensor.

Ordered the 85mm Colby Brown Signature set to stay welded to my 17-40mm, realized that I needed the 100mm set at the 17mm end.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/pr...Brown~148.html

Informative thread!

Last edited by Stuntman Mike : 30th of December 2013 (Mon) at 12:28. Reason: Formatt was able to change my order from the 85mm to 100mm last second!
Stuntman Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of February 2014 (Fri)   #4
Augphoto

Hello to all.

I hope this subject hasn't been covered before.

I am ecstatic because I have finally got the Big Stopper coming my way!!!

I have yet to order the foundation kit, however, or the adapter ring(s). Which brings me to my question. All of my lenses but two take a 77mm filter. The ones which do not are the 70-200 which takes a 67mm and my 100 macro which takes a 58mm filter.

So, I was going to purchase a 77mm adapter (of course) and a 67mm adapter for the 70-200, then maybe a 58mm for my macro. Whew, this is an expensive game we're in isn't it ?

Then I got to thinking. Is there ever a need for filters (including nd grads, solid nd filters, or the Big Stopper) on either the 100 macro or the 70-200 zoom. I obviously want them for my wider lenses but does anyone find a use for them on longer lenses as well ?

Now, if I may bother you with a secondary question or questions. I see that Lee sells an expensive polarizer for the front of the foundation kit. I like polarizers but I've read that some won't use them with wide-angles anyway because they make the sky uneven. Do any of you experience this issue? Do you even both with a polarizer when using grads, etc ? If you do use them, do any of you use a polarizer other than the Lee on the front of the foundation kit ?

I ask this later series of questions because I already own a B + W 77 MM (MC) Kaesemann Circular Polarizing Filter which I love and paid good money for. Would I not be able to use this with the Lee System ? It is only a 77mm filter thread after all. Is there no way to make it work ? Or, again, would it even pay to use one ?

In case it matters, I am using Canon equipment. Specifically the 7D but do plan on purchasing a full frame body in the future. Currently my widest lens is a 17-40.

Thanks, for bearing with me on my long post and I thank everyone in advance for responding. As you can see, I am not well-versed in this filter stuff so, if anyone has any other tips or knowledge on this system or things I should know, please chime in.
Augphoto is offline   Reply With Quote