Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,204 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

FILTER FAQ

-= PROTECTIVE FILTERS FAQ =-
Recommendations here on filter quality and multicoating will apply to all other filter types as well.

-=What is the effect of a Polarizer Filter=-
and why it can't be replicated in PhotoShop

-=Beginner's Guide to Neutral Density Filters=-
Including solid and graduated ND filters

-=GND Buyers FAQ=-

Post #1, Apr 06, 2011 19:32:04

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,204 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Because it's not spelled out in any of the above links:
Neutral density filters are variously reported any of three ways.
First, there's the filter factor - a filter may be 2x, 4x, 8x, . . . which is how much you need to increase the exposure time over when you're not using a filter.
Then there's the number of stops you'll need to increase the exposure - 1, 2, 3 . . . stops
Then there's the "log density" value 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 . . .
Different vendors will use their own preferred one of the above. They all work out to the same thing in the end

• 2x, 1 stop and 0.3 all mean the same
  • 4x, 2 stops and 0.6 again all mean the same
  • 8x, 3 stops and 0.9 all mean the same
  • and at the high end, 1024x, 10 stop and 3.0 all work out to the same.

Post #2, Mar 03, 2012 16:33:39

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Stuntman ­ Mike
Joined Jun 2010
268 posts
Georgia
[MORE/SHARE]

Wish I had read this before ordering an 85mm filter set. :oops: *Formatt was kind enough to change the order to 100mm, just found out!*

I figured 85mm > my 77mm lenses but didn't consider the filter holder extending into the frame at 17mm on a FF sensor.

Ordered the 85mm Colby Brown Signature set to stay welded to my 17-40mm, realized that I needed the 100mm set at the 17mm end.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com ...pe---Colby-Brown~148.htmlexternal link

Informative thread!

Post #3, Dec 28, 2013 07:55:10 as a reply to Jon's post over 1 year earlier.

5DmkII | 60D | Roc 14mm f/2.8 | 17-40mmf/4 L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L II | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 135 f/2 L | 2X EF III
Flickrexternal link | Gear

Augphoto
Joined May 2010
194 posts
South Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello to all.

I hope this subject hasn't been covered before.

I am ecstatic because I have finally got the Big Stopper coming my way!!!

I have yet to order the foundation kit, however, or the adapter ring(s). Which brings me to my question. All of my lenses but two take a 77mm filter. The ones which do not are the 70-200 which takes a 67mm and my 100 macro which takes a 58mm filter.

So, I was going to purchase a 77mm adapter (of course) and a 67mm adapter for the 70-200, then maybe a 58mm for my macro. Whew, this is an expensive game we're in isn't it ?

Then I got to thinking. Is there ever a need for filters (including nd grads, solid nd filters, or the Big Stopper) on either the 100 macro or the 70-200 zoom. I obviously want them for my wider lenses but does anyone find a use for them on longer lenses as well ?

Now, if I may bother you with a secondary question or questions. I see that Lee sells an expensive polarizer for the front of the foundation kit. I like polarizers but I've read that some won't use them with wide-angles anyway because they make the sky uneven. Do any of you experience this issue? Do you even both with a polarizer when using grads, etc ? If you do use them, do any of you use a polarizer other than the Lee on the front of the foundation kit ?

I ask this later series of questions because I already own a B + W 77 MM (MC) Kaesemann Circular Polarizing Filter which I love and paid good money for. Would I not be able to use this with the Lee System ? It is only a 77mm filter thread after all. Is there no way to make it work ? Or, again, would it even pay to use one ?

In case it matters, I am using Canon equipment. Specifically the 7D but do plan on purchasing a full frame body in the future. Currently my widest lens is a 17-40.

Thanks, for bearing with me on my long post and I thank everyone in advance for responding. As you can see, I am not well-versed in this filter stuff so, if anyone has any other tips or knowledge on this system or things I should know, please chime in.

Post #4, Feb 21, 2014 20:28:07

Cameras - 7D, 5D MkIII Lenses - 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, 17-40 f/4L USM, 24-70 f/2.8L USM, 24-105 f/4L IS USM 70-200 f/4L IS USM, also a Canon Extender EF 1.4 III
Flickrexternal link - Facebookexternal link - Twitterexternal link -

LIST NEARBY THREADS
33,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
-= THE FILTER FAQ =-
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES