Canon 5D Mark II Vs. Canon 7D Vs. Fujifilm X100 - 100% Crops.

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 07 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 00:32   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
3,809 posts
New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I dont know what you've done with the 7D files but that does not represent what I've seen with a decent lens from my 7D.

Regardless of that the x100 looks good, even if its processed (NR & sharpened).

Post #31, Apr 07, 2011 19:11:51

www.rjd.co.nzexternal link www.zarphag.comexternal link
5d2,6D,14mmf2.8,16-35 f4 L IS,17-40L,24mm tse,70-200/2.8L,50/1.4,90/2.8​,400/5.6L,gigapan epic pro, lee filters, feisol tripod, markins q3t

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MrLA
Joined Jun 2007
721 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i want fuji x1000. amazon has it for $4k!

Post #32, Apr 07, 2011 20:49:42

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ200
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

MrLA wrote in post #12179982external link
i want fuji x1000. amazon has it for $4k!

Yeah. I saw that. That's quite ridiculous! Paid 1200 for mine and 84.50 for the hood and adapter ring. All of the online stores are taking advantage of the whole Japan crisis situation. Prices here in Canada have not shifted. (at least the Canadian CPS prices hasn't).

Post #33, Apr 07, 2011 21:19:29

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blogexternal linkYoutube Channelexternal linkTwitterexternal linkGear Listexternal link

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

RobDickinson wrote in post #12179373external link
I dont know what you've done with the 7D files but that does not represent what I've seen with a decent lens from my 7D.

Regardless of that the x100 looks good, even if its processed (NR & sharpened).

The files were not post processed. They are Camera jpeg outputs SOOC.

strobe monkey wrote in post #12179234external link
you need to upsize the x100 and 7d image to match the 5d2 or, downsize the 5d2 and 7d image to match the x100.

Daship wrote in post #12179049external link
The Fugi has more contrast to meter off of, make it the same or flush it down the toilet. Obviously trying to give fugi some edge here. Fan boy!!!!!

gabebalazs wrote in post #12177695external link
interesting comparison, thanks. Still, looking forward to seeing same output size (upsizing or downsizing) images.
Also, the x100 image pretty much looks like it was run through a similar workflow of NR that I use for my 7D images. Remove noise first then sharpen the edges while leaving the uniform areas "soft".

sharrowm wrote in post #12176925external link
Hmm...well, maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but it seems to me that the only thing that counts in the end is the final image (regardless of the number of pixels), and you are in effect, comparing different images (crops). I would love to see the 3 images side by side with the identical FOV.

As for the rest of the forum members, I have decided to downsize the files to satisfy everyones needs. (even though, this is not how it's normally done - not even dp review does it this way - they just provide crops at the pixel level thus called the HIGH ISO/NOISE test samples).

I have gotten hold of my new 45mb/s sdhc cards and they are much faster. However, the camera still freezes up for two seconds if I take a large fine + raw capture. Hope they fix the buffer issue on the next x100. (Didnt they think that it's users were going to need a high buffer as this target market will be shooting raw anyways?)

Post #34, Apr 07, 2011 21:25:21

I'm MARLON

Wordpress Blogexternal linkYoutube Channelexternal linkTwitterexternal linkGear Listexternal link

MrLA
Joined Jun 2007
721 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Marloon, how does the x100 in low light compare to 5Dii with L prime lens?

pics side by side would be great!

Post #35, Apr 07, 2011 22:51:43

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).

sponsored links
sbattey
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
1,250 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

The images are too compressed, you can't judge noise when there are jpeg artifacts. This is still a no go, you need to upload CLEAN images.

Post #36, Apr 07, 2011 23:37:19

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blogexternal link

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

MrLA wrote in post #12180783external link
Marloon, how does the x100 in low light compare to 5Dii with L prime lens?

pics side by side would be great!

How does the X100 in low light compare to the 5Dii? Well the 5Dii is definitely more enjoyable to use in Low light due to it's bigger buffer (preventing the camera from freezing up it's settings like on the X100), ability to manually focus (MF is IMPOSSIBLE on the X100), and ability to offer phase detect AF as oppose to contrast based AF on the X100 (however, the X100 is still no slouch).

The X100 is a lot more fun to use because of its mind blowing IQ in a VERY compact, discrete body. I was VERY skeptical on the X100 purchase but I decided to just make the jump since I had the chance to be on a VERY low numbered position on a preorder list (I convinced myself that if I didn't like it, i would definitely sell it). This camera is RIDICULOUS - and I mean that in a good way. It's hilarious to see people's reaction to my camera because rather than shying away from it (like they do when I bring out my 5D), they are intrueged by its design. I am not a fanboy of any system - I still see the benefit of owning different systems wether it be a Canon or Nikon system - but this camera is just FUN! You've got to try it to believe me.

The viewfinder overlay is so informative! it has a live histogram so that you know how much EC you require, and an electronic level to know that you are shooting your horizons leveled. To my eye, the viewfinder is as big as the 7D VF, and it is definitely bigger than a Rebel (i just feel so claustrophobic in a rebel viewfinder - I am spoiled that way). I love how the viewfinder works! It has a 133% coverage meaning that you see the frame lines within the viewfinder. You can see when people walk into the frame and you'll know when to hit it to get that perfect shot. Since this camera doesn't have a TTL viewfinder, there's no blackout period. You'll witness any movement or if anyone blinks in the photo that you just took. That is so amazing because you take part in the image that you just created when you pressed the button. This camera has really made me wonder and believe in the Leica M cameras - it's making me want one - maybe i'll buy the following iteration after the next M camera - I do have to save up quite a HUGE amount of dough for that camera.

If you are talking about image quality and samples, you will definitely have to wait for that because I am just finishing up my finals - tomorrow is my last day. I've got work from friday to monday and I should be ready to shoot some street night shots with the X100 and the 5Dii to compare. The 7D will not join us as it is boxed and ready to ship to CPS tomorrow morning - I've complained about it's inaccurate AF system and noise quality - let's see what CPS can do about that - I'm not hopeful. It'll come back to me within 4 business days! Can't wait to see if there are any improvements.

Right off the bat, I do have to tell you that the 5D is worlds away from crop sensor cameras. The thin DOF that the 5D offers allows for popping captures - giving it that 3D effect especially at 35mm f1.4. If you have the chance to own a 5D (I'd HIGHLY recommend the 5D classic - one of Canon's gems), go for it! It'll blow your mind away and you'll soon realize why this camera system is so loved by many photographers around the world. I'll go street shooting with the Canon 5Dii + 35L and the Fujifilm X100 as they have similar FOV and FL.

sbattey wrote in post #12181030external link
The images are too compressed, you can't judge noise when there are jpeg artifacts. This is still a no go, you need to upload CLEAN images.

how would you like me to process/post them to prevent compression. They were compressed when they came out of the camera then cropped and compiled in CS5. They were the exported and uploaded.

This is a comparison post as all cameras went through the same editing and posting process so that means they were "too compressed" together still making the comparison valid.

If you have other methods to provide CLEAN images, please let me know so that I can do it to your satisfaction as to not only benefit you, but other members here on POTN.

Post #37, Apr 08, 2011 01:15:27

I'm MARLON

MrLA
Joined Jun 2007
721 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

marloon, i really appreciate your given descriptive of the x100. i'm eagerly waiting for your low-light comparison of the x100 vs 5Dii w/ L prime lens. And good luck on your finals.

oh, i've just placed an order for the x100 with Crutchfield, $1200. an impulse buyer i am :(

Post #38, Apr 08, 2011 13:32:17

gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
6,899 posts
Toledo, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh, so this is where the current thread is... I just replied to the old one... :rolleyes:

Post #39, Apr 08, 2011 14:30:32

5DIII | 5Dc | 70D | Ʃ 70-200 2.8 OS | 120-300 2.8 OS | 18-250 OS | Canon 24-70 2.8L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f4L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | EF-S 10-18 | 18-135 IS STM | Rokinon 14 2.8 | Sigma 1.4x & 2x | Canon 600EX-RT
Gabe Balazs Photoexternal link
Nature Shots Portfolioexternal link

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,607 posts
Mt View, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the images.

how come your links to your sites are all stared out in your sig though?

Post #40, Apr 08, 2011 14:40:06

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

jacobsen1 wrote in post #12184518external link
thanks for the images.

how come your links to your sites are all stared out in your sig though?

GREAT point! I WILL fix that right away. I used *******... going to have to fix that. thanks for telling me!

Post #41, Apr 08, 2011 14:49:01

I'm MARLON

sponsored links
Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

MrLA wrote in post #12184156external link
marloon, i really appreciate your given descriptive of the x100. i'm eagerly waiting for your low-light comparison of the x100 vs 5Dii w/ L prime lens. And good luck on your finals.

oh, i've just placed an order for the x100 with Crutchfield, $1200. an impulse buyer i am :(

Congratulations! :) the camera is so impressive that you'll forget about the fact that youve paid 1200 for it!

I'll street shoot and event shoot next week and post results! :) Since I'll be shooting random strangers, it'll be hard to get a second shot for a comparison unless they are really still, or fixated on something. :)

Post #42, Apr 08, 2011 21:26:04

I'm MARLON

MrLA
Joined Jun 2007
721 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i should have said on pre-order list :( Crutchfield doesn't know when they will get a batch yet.

oh, marloon, you shoot in a controlled environment for comparison. just dim the light in your room.

Post #43, Apr 08, 2011 22:02:29

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
4,323 posts
Vancouver, BC.
[MORE/SHARE]

MrLA wrote in post #12186822external link
i should have said on pre-order list :( Crutchfield doesn't know when they will get a batch yet.

oh, marloon, you shoot in a controlled environment for comparison. just dim the light in your room.

The lights are actually really dim in my room. Normally, I am shooting at iso 1250 at f1.4 in my room and only get 1/60 SS.

However, I will shoot night street shots to see how this camera performs. You got me all excited now - doesnt take much to excite me. A bowl of chicken broth could. Lol! Hmmm... I love chicken broth.

Post #44, Apr 08, 2011 23:16:38

I'm MARLON

mojosh
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

confused* isit possible that it can outbeat 5D mkII?

Post #45, Apr 10, 2011 14:34:47

LIST NEARBY THREADS
13,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark II Vs. Canon 7D Vs. Fujifilm X100 - 100% Crops.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES