Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 05:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Has anyone ever been over to the darkside?

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Apr 23, 2011 13:33 |  #31

rxjohn wrote in post #12278361external link
My only complaint about Canon is the inability to use FD & FL lenses on EOS body without sacrificing focal length, aperture, and inifinity focus like Nikon can.

Yeah but my M42s have the opposite problem if I try a Nikon.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Apr 23, 2011 13:52 |  #32

uOpt wrote in post #12278101external link
As I said, I didn't try it. But people were reporting a whole bunch of issues with D7000s and Thailand made D700s recently, starting from dead pixels.

Do you believe everything you read on the net? From my experience with both systems, Canon has a lot more QC issues. I stay with Canon for their camera 5d2. If Nikon had an equivalent, I would most likey be shooting a Nikon today.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Apr 23, 2011 14:10 |  #33

I could never get past the ergonomics and over pricedness of nikon gear. Its kept me away for many years. That and IMO the two brands are pretty even. Where one has one advantage the other has another. Likewise with the disadvantages. I have been hardcore Canon for 11 years now and will likely remain that way evermore seeing as how much money I have invested in their gear.

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Apr 23, 2011 14:15 |  #34

Hogloff wrote in post #12278663external link
Do you believe everything you read on the net? From my experience with both systems, Canon has a lot more QC issues. I stay with Canon for their camera 5d2. If Nikon had an equivalent, I would most likey be shooting a Nikon today.

A pretty convincing picture was drawn that overall thing didn't go all smooth in the Thailand plant and/or some headaches with the move were to be sorted out.

There is a difference between believing single sources easily and accumulating hints to draw a mental picture. That mental picture also fits other businesses moves to cheaper manufacturing countries and at some point you rate the probability that it's true at > 50%.

I already said that on paper I find Nikon very attractive. But a calculation of body + "required" lenses has never left room for a switch so far.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

LucaV
60 posts
Joined May 2008
Apr 23, 2011 14:39 as a reply to uOpt's post |  #35

One of the most important F1 photographers last year switched to Nikon after decades of shooting Canon. The reason was "noise", according to a relative of his whom I spoke with (no direct evidence, but I would trust it).
At the track it looks like 50/50 between Canon and Nikon shooters, maybe a few more Canon.

I have Canon but I am repeatedly told that the Nikon service is much better in this part of the world (Switzerland). Again, no direct evidence; I dealt with Canon service once and it was perfectly fine.

Bye,
Luca

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Surrey, B.C.
Apr 23, 2011 15:03 |  #36

I started out with the Canon AE-1, used the Canon F-1, switched to Nikon and got the FM2 - GREAT Camera!!, also used the Nikon F3+MD4 MotorDrive. Then switched back to Canon and bought the EOS A2 AF film camera, which I still use today.

Hope to get either the EOS 1D Mk III or 1D Mk IV soon.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Apr 23, 2011 15:10 |  #37

rxjohn wrote in post #12278361external link
My only complaint about Canon is the inability to use FD & FL lenses on EOS body without sacrificing focal length, aperture, and inifinity focus like Nikon can.

Nikon can't use FD or FL lenses..

Unless you meant Nikon can use Nikon lenses. But so can Canon, so that's not really an advantage.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Apr 23, 2011 15:18 as a reply to post 12277324 |  #38

I've never used Nikon, but I came close in the early 70's. I almost bought a Nikon F Photomic.

I just bought my first Canon, a G 12 a couple of months ago. Not a DSLR....but a fine little camera that I absolutley love to use and put through it's (many) photographic paces.

I've worked (long,long time ago) as a photographer, also been an avid enthusiast for the past 43 years.

I never get rid of anything, so some of the equipment I've got :

• Pentax SLR / DSLR
  • Leica Rangefinder (film)
  • Mamiya Medium Format system with three Mamiya-Sekor lenses
  • Zeiss- Ikon Super Ikonta B (Medium format)
  • Yashicamat (medium format)

Over the years, I've taken 1000's of pictures in temps ranging from 30 below to about 100 above. I find that there really isn't any dark side...as long as you use very good equipment.

In the end photography is like driving....it's always the nut behind the wheel...or in the case of photography...the viewfinder that determines how good things turn out.

Two cameras I want and are on my top two list...the Canon 5D Mk. 11 (with 17-40 L F 4 lens) and the Pentax K5 with a couple of the jewel like Pentax Limited prime lenses.

:D

ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Mill Creek, WA
Apr 23, 2011 15:21 |  #39

All those lenses where loaners at some rented location at the venue. Some might think its an urban legend, they did it the Olympics and World Cup.

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

Tjh1023
57 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Front Royal, va
Apr 23, 2011 15:56 as a reply to post 12277324 |  #40

I was a nikon user D60, D300. I Switched to Canon due to more affordable full frame and in my opinion much more user friendly menu structure. I am extremely happy with the switch. My Canon is a Referb 5D.

Om-D EM1, 12-40 pro, 25 1.8, 50-200 swd,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tjh-photography/ (external link)
http://www.tjh-photography.tumblr.com (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/tjhphotography (external link)

Jon_Doh
Joined Apr 2007
Area 51
Apr 23, 2011 17:05 |  #41

When was that picture taken? Because I've seen photos from the last couple of years that show about a 50-50 mix.

But to answer your question, no I've never gone to the dark side. I have considered their cameras when it has come time to do a serious upgrade. But every time after going to the camera store and playing around with comparable Canon and Nikon models I've walked out with the Canon.

Canon 1D Mark III, 70-200 L IS F4, 17-40 L, 50 1.8, Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter
Leica V-Lux 4
Sony NEX 3 used only for astrophotography with Meade LX 90 ACF SCT and Skywatcher 120 ED telescopes
Canon A2 (film), 24-50 Sigma, 70-210 Sigma

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Northern Cal
Apr 23, 2011 17:10 |  #42

tkbslc wrote in post #12279006external link
Nikon can't use FD or FL lenses..

Unless you meant Nikon can use Nikon lenses. But so can Canon, so that's not really an advantage.

Both Nikon and Canon can use Nikon lenses. Both Nikon and Canon can use FD and FL lenses but with some sacrifice. It would have been nice to be able to use FD lens like Nikon lens without having to use an adapter with glass.

DutchVince
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Netherlands
Apr 23, 2011 17:50 as a reply to rxjohn's post |  #43

I still own a Nikon FE2, it is one of the best camera's I ever had.
The Nikkor 1.8/50mm is extremely flare resistant: sun in view at high noon is handled very well.
No aperture reflections at all.
All so the "sun star" looks far better than with any Canon lens, because the lens has 12 diafragm blades in stead of Canons 8 blades. (yeah I know, I'm the only one who cares about sun stars...)

I'm going to try my Nikkor 50/1.8 on my 7D. Looking for a adapter ring with focus confirm chip.

7D|400D|10-22|60 Macro|18-55|100-400L|600
Or: just about anything from real close to infinity
Mac Pro|calibrated Eizo monitor
Some of my photo's: http://www.allalin.nl/​photogallery/external link

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,130 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Apr 23, 2011 18:01 |  #44

I loved my F4... Started with Canon A1, switched to Nikon F4 then made the digital conversion when technology finally made it a good option. Canon was ahead with digital technology at the time, otherwise I may have stayed with Nikon. Too late to switch again as I could not afford to start over with lenses..

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Apr 23, 2011 19:28 |  #45

Briefly used D200 with Nikon 17-55mm but i did not see any major advantage over my 1DS Mark II.
I do think that WB from Nikon is more accurate.
I am so deep into Canon now and I do not want to lose any money to switch.

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

sponsored links

4,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone ever been over to the darkside?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.