Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 17:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Going backwards maybe - 7D to 1DS MII

Thorrulz
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
The Land of the "Go Big Red!"
Apr 26, 2011 17:52 |  #1

I currently own a 7D/gripped and am contemplating a return of sorts to the 1D series. I hope a few 1DS and 1DS MII owners can help with their advice.
First I don't find myself shooting sports as much as I used to and tend to shoot more portraits and landscapes. While the high iso capability is nice to have on the 7D, I find myself shooting more in the 100-200 iso range with my flashes when taking pics of the children and grandchildren.
Now I had contemplated a 5D but I have been spoiled at how easily a 1D series can lock focus and track moving objects, meaning grandchildren in this case. Otherwise a 5D more than holds its own in IQ against either of the other FF's I mentioned.
I currently own a 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 MII, and 85mm f/1.8 and will either add a 24-105mm f/4 or 135L soon.
I should also mention I have owned a 1D Classic and 1D MII so I know how they function and feel in my hands.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

sponsored links
JHutch
595 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Apr 26, 2011 18:47 |  #2

Honestly I would still consider the 5d. But if you're set on a 1 series then by all means go for it! It really wouldn't be a downgrade apart from the big screen the 7d has, and maybe ISO performance. I can't really comment on the 1Ds II's ISO performance as I've never used it, but I know the 5d's ISO performance is comparable to that of the 7d.

D700+Voigtlander 40mm+Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 ai-s

Sp1207
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Right Behind You
Apr 26, 2011 19:26 |  #3

1DsII has an advantage at high-ISO, as it's still the third best Canon body in terms of ISO performance. I also think it has an AF advantage, not to mention ergonomics and weather sealing. Be prepared for an older design without live view or sensor cleaning (or movie mode).

I try not to use it over 1600, but I've had acceptable results at 6400 (pushed, obviously) for smaller prints.

Gear

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 26, 2011 19:27 |  #4

JHutch wrote in post #12298523external link
Honestly I would still consider the 5d. But if you're set on a 1 series then by all means go for it! It really wouldn't be a downgrade apart from the big screen the 7d has, and maybe ISO performance. I can't really comment on the 1Ds II's ISO performance as I've never used it, but I know the 5d's ISO performance is comparable to that of the 7d.

Since I'm doing more portrait work with the kids/grandkids I would like to try FF with the lens I mentioned previously. Right now the budget allows for either a 5D, 1DS Classic or 1DS MII. Since some of the best moments with the grandkids go by so quickly I would just feel more secure with the 1D series ability to lock and track focus over the 5D.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Chicago, IL
Apr 26, 2011 20:37 as a reply to Thorrulz's post |  #5

Initially, I purchased the 1Ds MkII to improve my keeper rate on moving subjects (my grandkids). I really enjoy the 5D, but it doesn't come close to matching the D series in focus speed and accuracy. If you want to take pictures of your grandchildren, you'll appreciate the focus speed of the 1DsMkII. The 135L on that body is awesome. Add the 1D body features and FF and you have a great body. For me, I think it's one of the best values out there. I never had one moment of buyers remorse.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 26, 2011 20:47 |  #6

EcoRick wrote in post #12299178external link
Initially, I purchased the 1Ds MkII to improve my keeper rate on moving subjects (my grandkids). I really enjoy the 5D, but it doesn't come close to matching the D series in focus speed and accuracy. If you want to take pictures of your grandchildren, you'll appreciate the focus speed of the 1DsMkII. The 135L on that body is awesome. Add the 1D body features and FF and you have a great body. For me, I think it's one of the best values out there. I never had one moment of buyers remorse.

I am really leaning towards the 1DS MKII and thanks for your input as well. I notice in your siggy that you have both the 1DS MII as well as the 5D. How well does the 1DS MII hold up against the 5D in terms of high iso? Reason being, I'm thinking about selling the 7D and purchasing the 1DS MII as primary and having a T2i as backup.

Flickr (external link)

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Chicago, IL
Apr 27, 2011 05:49 |  #7

Thorrulz wrote in post #12299236external link
I am really leaning towards the 1DS MKII and thanks for your input as well. I notice in your siggy that you have both the 1DS MII as well as the 5D. How well does the 1DS MII hold up against the 5D in terms of high iso? Reason being, I'm thinking about selling the 7D and purchasing the 1DS MII as primary and having a T2i as backup.

I think the 5D is better at higher ISO, but the restrictions on using center point focus finally got to me. I do not have a 7D so I have nothing to compare to. I upgraded to the most recent version of Lightroom (my primary PP program) and the improved noice reduction feature seems to handle any ISO weaknesses pretty well.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 27, 2011 06:42 |  #8

EcoRick wrote in post #12301337external link
I think the 5D is a better at higher ISO, but the restrictions on using center point focus finally got to me. I do not have a 7D so I have nothing to compare to. I upgraded to the most recent version of Lightroom (my primary PP program) and the improved noice reduction feature seems to handle any ISO weaknesses pretty well.

I found that if I exposed properly, even with the 1D Classic noise wasn't nearly as bad as many would have you believe coming from a CCD sensor. While the 7D is an awesome camera with many strengths I have to admit though I feel myself longing for a 1D series again.

Flickr (external link)

Lightworks ­ Imaging
Goldmember
1,525 posts
Joined Jul 2008
West Allis, WI USA
Apr 27, 2011 08:27 |  #9

I recently sold a 1D II and moved to a 7D. I'm not sure that the IQ is even close. The 1D II simply worked, in good light. The 7D AF is FAR more sensitive in low light. The ISO capabilities, as far as numbers, are not even close. I've only had the 7D for about 4 days, but in my subjective testing the images by comparison seem soft with the 7. High ISO noise? One of the guys I second shoot for, complained about the "noise" with the 1DII above 800. He's surely not going to like the low light exposures of the 7 in the same conditions. I'm looking to move up (?) to a 5D2, selling off my old trusty 1Ds II for the newer body. The main thought, is that I need the higher ISO and newer conveniences. The 1D II and 1Ds II both delivered stellar images, but the interface was clunky, the buffers small, and the LCD virtually useless. That said, there's something about the 1D II images that just works.

Just the humble musings of a beginner...
Eric
Lightworks Imagingexternal link
MMexternal link

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Apr 27, 2011 11:06 as a reply to Lightworks Imaging's post |  #10

I feel fortunate enough to have both the 7D and 1Ds MkII. I've found that most of my work tends to be scenic/landscape type photography. While I wouldn't want to give up my 7D, especially for birds, whenever I go out to shoot I invariably reach for my 1Ds.

I also shoot a lot of hdr and love the ability to take 7 bracketed exposures in a single burst with my 1D.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 27, 2011 15:58 |  #11

Lightworks Imaging wrote in post #12301842external link
I recently sold a 1D II and moved to a 7D. I'm not sure that the IQ is even close. The 1D II simply worked, in good light. The 7D AF is FAR more sensitive in low light. The ISO capabilities, as far as numbers, are not even close. I've only had the 7D for about 4 days, but in my subjective testing the images by comparison seem soft with the 7. High ISO noise? One of the guys I second shoot for, complained about the "noise" with the 1DII above 800. He's surely not going to like the low light exposures of the 7 in the same conditions. I'm looking to move up (?) to a 5D2, selling off my old trusty 1Ds II for the newer body. The main thought, is that I need the higher ISO and newer conveniences. The 1D II and 1Ds II both delivered stellar images, but the interface was clunky, the buffers small, and the LCD virtually useless. That said, there's something about the 1D II images that just works.

For many people the interface does seem clunky, but maybe because I'm left handed having to use two fingers to change settings on top just felt natural I guess on my other two 1D camera's.
I do agree about the buffer and the LCD comment 100%. Though I had gotten used to only using the LCD's on the others for checking the exposure. The focus was so deadly accurate that I never worried about missing the shot.
And I couldn't agree more also about how well the images look coming from a 1D series. After going through and reorganizing my photos on my HD's I guess that's what started me thinking about going back to a 1D series again, particularly a FF I could afford.

Flickr (external link)

Thorrulz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Apr 27, 2011 16:05 |  #12

navydoc wrote in post #12302807external link
I feel fortunate enough to have both the 7D and 1Ds MkII. I've found that most of my work tends to be scenic/landscape type photography. While I wouldn't want to give up my 7D, especially for birds, whenever I go out to shoot I invariably reach for my 1Ds.

I also shoot a lot of hdr and love the ability to take 7 bracketed exposures in a single burst with my 1D.

I would like to keep my 7D also but I just am not shooting high school or college sports as often as I used to and throw in that I sold off my zoom lens's this past year so I may go the 1DS MII and the T2i for video and second dslr.

Flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Apr 27, 2011 16:23 as a reply to Thorrulz's post |  #13

I have 5Dc and if it is lens with aperture 2.8 and faster it will use additional AF points around center point. I think, for something very fast USM helps even more at my L lens.

I also have three kids at three very different ages and they have friends.
Never I have problem to track them with 5Dc.
The only reason I would love to update to 1DS series is to have it weather-sealed.
Missed few outdoor days with kids and drizzle.

It is nice to have 1DS series camera, but reason to have it to track moving kids is kind "too small issue for too big money", IMHO.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Apr 27, 2011 16:30 |  #14

Honestly 1DSII was the best body that I ever owned but I did not like the 1DSII not having sensor cleaning option. Result never let me down though.

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

scubthebub
894 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
Apr 27, 2011 16:36 |  #15

kf095 wrote in post #12304802external link
I have 5Dc and if it is lens with aperture 2.8 and faster it will use additional AF points around center point. I think, for something very fast USM helps even more at my L lens.

I also have three kids at three very different ages and they have friends.
Never I have problem to track them with 5Dc.

Related to this I used my 5Dc with the new 70-200 for my wife's first triathlon last month and it had absolutely no problems tracking any portion of the race. Even tracking the fast people on bikes traveling over 20mph the camera worked just fine so I'm sure the IDs MII will be just fine for kids.

You can also call me Matt
|| 5Dc+Grip | 20D || 24-105
L | 50 f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 <-Crap on FF |
| 550EX | Yongnuo RF 602 triggers | Aperture 3 | Lowepro Pro Trekker 300 AW |

Flickrexternal link | Redbubbleexternal link

sponsored links

1,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going backwards maybe - 7D to 1DS MII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.