Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
2,322 posts
Connecticut, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

JohnJ80 wrote in post #12415843external link
Here's my strap:

QUOTED IMAGE

But when I'm doing sports photography (like ski racing) or a long day walking around, then it's the Cotton Carrier - which is a fantastic piece of gear.

J.

John, how do you like the Wapiti strap? It looks very nice! Well made and not too bulky. I'd love to hear your impressions of it, as well as the way you've connected the strap to the camera with those clips.

Thanks!

Post #61, May 16, 2011 11:22:48

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2006
5,442 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I like the Wapiti strap a lot. I was leery of the narrowness but it is not an issue. I've been through them all and found this to be my favorite - holds the camera well and is quite comfortable. Before this, I used Upstraps, my second favorite, but this is much more comfortable on bare skin and doesn't slide on clothing either. it's a winner in my book.

The quick releases that I made here use the Optech Adapt-its which are quite novel and well made. They are great! When I have to take the strap off, there are no dangling tails. I like this sort of quick release much better than the traditional one with dangling tails that seem to get in the way.

These hooks work well and I'm happy with them. That said, I'm looking for some small plastic hooks with more of a gate closure. These work fine, and the issue isn't the metal, but I think the gate springs are a little on the soft side. Hasn't been a problem but if you are a photographer and you don't have a detail to obsess over, what fun is it?

J.

Post #62, May 16, 2011 12:10:49

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

tgara
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
2,322 posts
Connecticut, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

JohnJ80 wrote in post #12419827external link
I like the Wapiti strap a lot. I was leery of the narrowness but it is not an issue. I've been through them all and found this to be my favorite - holds the camera well and is quite comfortable. Before this, I used Upstraps, my second favorite, but this is much more comfortable on bare skin and doesn't slide on clothing either. it's a winner in my book.

The quick releases that I made here use the Optech Adapt-its which are quite novel and well made. They are great! When I have to take the strap off, there are no dangling tails. I like this sort of quick release much better than the traditional one with dangling tails that seem to get in the way.

These hooks work well and I'm happy with them. That said, I'm looking for some small plastic hooks with more of a gate closure. These work fine, and the issue isn't the metal, but I think the gate springs are a little on the soft side. Hasn't been a problem but if you are a photographer and you don't have a detail to obsess over, what fun is it?

J.

Thanks, I may give this strap a try. I like your setup, especially with the Adapt-Its. I agree, I hate the dangly tails! I'm thinking of getting the Wapiti C1 strap connection model, and cannabalize a set of swivel connectors from an extra Domke Gripper strap I have in my gear stash box. Assuming the strap connection portion is 3/8", I think this will work with the connection ends of the Wapiti and the Adapt-Its.

BTW, what is the width of the strap itself? I doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

http://www.wapitistrap​s.com/external link

Post #63, May 16, 2011 12:59:16

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2006
5,442 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tgara wrote in post #12420181external link
Thanks, I may give this strap a try. I like your setup, especially with the Adapt-Its. I agree, I hate the dangly tails! I'm thinking of getting the Wapiti C1 strap connection model, and cannabalize a set of swivel connectors from an extra Domke Gripper strap I have in my gear stash box. Assuming the strap connection portion is 3/8", I think this will work with the connection ends of the Wapiti and the Adapt-Its.

BTW, what is the width of the strap itself? I doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

http://www.wapitistrap​s.com/external link

width is about an inch or so.

j.

Post #64, May 16, 2011 16:23:40

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

BaghdadFred
Joined Nov 2010
871 posts
Baghdad Iraq
[MORE/SHARE]

Just ordered the Black Rapid RS- Sport Extreme Sport Strap today. It looks like a really good strap. My only concern is that its a tad bit flashly for my taste, I don't want to draw attention to myself because of my camera strap.

I know its a matter of preference but I would be the laughing stalk of my base if I showed up at an event using a cotten carrier.

Post #65, May 18, 2011 10:43:25

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraqexternal link | SmugMugexternal link
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

sponsored links
alpenglowing
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here are my 2 DIY sling straps. The first is a strap that I threw together from a few different parts, and the second is basically a combination of the first strap with a Think Tank LC2. Both straps simply slide onto any arca-style plate or bracket.

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Alpenglowing8/Straps/CHE_8588.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Alpenglowing8/Straps/CHE_8594.jpg

I really have no idea why no manufacturer currently makes a product like this. It works like a dream, and is perfect for making quick lens swaps in the field.

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Alpenglowing8/Random%20Pics/CHE_9622.jpg

This picture might not make much sense, but it's just showing how I normally wear the bag. The bag itself usually sits on the lateral side of my right butt cheek, while the sling strap portion carries the camera slightly in front of my right hip.

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Alpenglowing8/Random%20Pics/CHE_9635.jpg

Post #66, May 18, 2011 11:13:52 as a reply to BaghdadFred's post 30 minutes earlier.

1xSHOT
Joined Dec 2010
328 posts
DFW, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

alpenglowing wrote in post #12433650external link
Here are my 2 DIY sling straps. The first is a strap that I threw together from a few different parts, and the second is basically a combination of the first strap with a Think Tank LC2. Both straps simply slide onto any arca-style plate or bracket.

"alpenglowing", could you please share where you purchased the slim profile acra-stye clamp?

Post #67, May 18, 2011 12:13:33

foxfirewisp
Joined Apr 2011
49 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Has anyone used the sling adapter for the OPtech pro straps? I'm just curious how people like it and if it is safe to have your camera hanging from just one of the loops.

Post #68, May 18, 2011 13:34:26

-John
My Gear

alpenglowing
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

1xSHOT wrote in post #12433986external link
"alpenglowing", could you please share where you purchased the slim profile acra-stye clamp?

No problem, it's a Kirk QRC-1 1" Quick Release Clampexternal link

Post #69, May 18, 2011 13:35:29

1KIND
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,760 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

Mine is nothing special. I bought a old Black Rapid RS-4 that was used and ended up flipping it for a profit and ended up buying a Black Rapid RS-7 with BRAD and BUCK.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://cdn.blackrapid.​com/7/img/product/rs7-02.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

I don't think I can go back to any other strap.

Post #70, May 18, 2011 16:04:12

1KIND Photographyexternal link
Canon :: 5D Mark III Gripped | G1 X Mark II
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70 ƒ/2.8L II | Canon 50mm ƒ/1.4 | 600EX-RT
Feedbacks | Selling :: Herringbone, BlackRapid, Lowepro, Hufa Strap/Lens Clip

1KIND
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,760 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

foxfirewisp wrote in post #12434463external link
Has anyone used the sling adapter for the OPtech pro straps? I'm just curious how people like it and if it is safe to have your camera hanging from just one of the loops.

I have the Pro Strap itself that goes around the neck, but never swapped out the straps for the sling version. I almost bought the sling strap adapters but got a great deal on Black Rapid RS-7 strap for 25% off!

Post #71, May 18, 2011 16:05:45

sponsored links
xMClass
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
2,196 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Think Tank's camera strap. I rarely hang my camera around my neck so this works perfectly for transporting it on my shoulder. It hasn't slipped off once.

Here's an old picture of it:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com ...35508858_23d00e96e2​_z.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Post #72, May 18, 2011 20:17:59

-Mikey | Flickrexternal link | Canon 40D | 50 f/1.4

nfbuckeye
Joined Apr 2011
128 posts
Colorado Springs, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

iazybandit wrote in post #12435334external link
Mine is nothing special. I bought a old Black Rapid RS-4 that was used and ended up flipping it for a profit and ended up buying a Black Rapid RS-7 with BRAD and BUCK.

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://cdn.blackrapid.​com/7/img/product/rs7-02.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

I don't think I can go back to any other strap.

Same here, love that thing. Most comfortable strap I've ever had by a longshot.

Post #73, May 18, 2011 20:52:08

Canon 5D Mark II // Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE // Canon 50mm f/1.2L // Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE // Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L Mark II // Speedlite 430EX II // Leica D-Lux 5 Titanium Edition // Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 // Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead

karlpilkington
Joined Mar 2011
148 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Got a Quick Rapid Strap last night. (BR knockoff). The mains trap is a little thin both in depth/strength and width but I just needed a sling so it'll do.

Post #74, May 18, 2011 21:03:49

X100S | 5D2 | 17-40L | 50 USM | 135L

1KIND
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,760 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

nfbuckeye wrote in post #12436981external link
Same here, love that thing. Most comfortable strap I've ever had by a longshot.

When I had the RS-4, I liked the zippered pocket. With the RS-7, theres no pocket. Do you have any of the JOEY's? Don't know if I want to spend $20 or so for a pocket. Would be nice to hold a memory card and extra battery.

Post #75, May 18, 2011 23:17:45

LIST NEARBY THREADS
85,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Show Me Your Camera Strap.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES