Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of May 2011 (Mon)   #61
tgara
Goldmember

Default Re: Show Me Your Camera Strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Here's my strap:

But when I'm doing sports photography (like ski racing) or a long day walking around, then it's the Cotton Carrier - which is a fantastic piece of gear.

J.
John, how do you like the Wapiti strap? It looks very nice! Well made and not too bulky. I'd love to hear your impressions of it, as well as the way you've connected the strap to the camera with those clips.

Thanks!

Last edited by tgara : 16th of May 2011 (Mon) at 11:25.
tgara is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of May 2011 (Mon)   #62
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop

I like the Wapiti strap a lot. I was leery of the narrowness but it is not an issue. I've been through them all and found this to be my favorite - holds the camera well and is quite comfortable. Before this, I used Upstraps, my second favorite, but this is much more comfortable on bare skin and doesn't slide on clothing either. it's a winner in my book.

The quick releases that I made here use the Optech Adapt-its which are quite novel and well made. They are great! When I have to take the strap off, there are no dangling tails. I like this sort of quick release much better than the traditional one with dangling tails that seem to get in the way.

These hooks work well and I'm happy with them. That said, I'm looking for some small plastic hooks with more of a gate closure. These work fine, and the issue isn't the metal, but I think the gate springs are a little on the soft side. Hasn't been a problem but if you are a photographer and you don't have a detail to obsess over, what fun is it?

J.

"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2011 (Mon)   #63
tgara
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I like the Wapiti strap a lot. I was leery of the narrowness but it is not an issue. I've been through them all and found this to be my favorite - holds the camera well and is quite comfortable. Before this, I used Upstraps, my second favorite, but this is much more comfortable on bare skin and doesn't slide on clothing either. it's a winner in my book.

The quick releases that I made here use the Optech Adapt-its which are quite novel and well made. They are great! When I have to take the strap off, there are no dangling tails. I like this sort of quick release much better than the traditional one with dangling tails that seem to get in the way.

These hooks work well and I'm happy with them. That said, I'm looking for some small plastic hooks with more of a gate closure. These work fine, and the issue isn't the metal, but I think the gate springs are a little on the soft side. Hasn't been a problem but if you are a photographer and you don't have a detail to obsess over, what fun is it?

J.
Thanks, I may give this strap a try. I like your setup, especially with the Adapt-Its. I agree, I hate the dangly tails! I'm thinking of getting the Wapiti C1 strap connection model, and cannabalize a set of swivel connectors from an extra Domke Gripper strap I have in my gear stash box. Assuming the strap connection portion is 3/8", I think this will work with the connection ends of the Wapiti and the Adapt-Its.

BTW, what is the width of the strap itself? I doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

http://www.wapitistraps.com/

Last edited by tgara : 16th of May 2011 (Mon) at 13:02.
tgara is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of May 2011 (Mon)   #64
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgara View Post
Thanks, I may give this strap a try. I like your setup, especially with the Adapt-Its. I agree, I hate the dangly tails! I'm thinking of getting the Wapiti C1 strap connection model, and cannabalize a set of swivel connectors from an extra Domke Gripper strap I have in my gear stash box. Assuming the strap connection portion is 3/8", I think this will work with the connection ends of the Wapiti and the Adapt-Its.

BTW, what is the width of the strap itself? I doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

http://www.wapitistraps.com/
width is about an inch or so.

j.

"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #65
BaghdadFred

Just ordered the Black Rapid RS- Sport Extreme Sport Strap today. It looks like a really good strap. My only concern is that its a tad bit flashly for my taste, I don't want to draw attention to myself because of my camera strap.

I know its a matter of preference but I would be the laughing stalk of my base if I showed up at an event using a cotten carrier.
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #66
alpenglowing

Here are my 2 DIY sling straps. The first is a strap that I threw together from a few different parts, and the second is basically a combination of the first strap with a Think Tank LC2. Both straps simply slide onto any arca-style plate or bracket.

I really have no idea why no manufacturer currently makes a product like this. It works like a dream, and is perfect for making quick lens swaps in the field.

This picture might not make much sense, but it's just showing how I normally wear the bag. The bag itself usually sits on the lateral side of my right butt cheek, while the sling strap portion carries the camera slightly in front of my right hip.

alpenglowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #67
1xSHOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenglowing View Post
Here are my 2 DIY sling straps. The first is a strap that I threw together from a few different parts, and the second is basically a combination of the first strap with a Think Tank LC2. Both straps simply slide onto any arca-style plate or bracket.
"alpenglowing", could you please share where you purchased the slim profile acra-stye clamp?

Thanks
1xSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #68
foxfirewisp

Has anyone used the sling adapter for the OPtech pro straps? I'm just curious how people like it and if it is safe to have your camera hanging from just one of the loops.

My Gear
foxfirewisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #69
alpenglowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xSHOT View Post
"alpenglowing", could you please share where you purchased the slim profile acra-stye clamp?

Thanks
No problem, it's a Kirk QRC-1 1" Quick Release Clamp
alpenglowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #70
1KIND

Mine is nothing special. I bought a old Black Rapid RS-4 that was used and ended up flipping it for a profit and ended up buying a Black Rapid RS-7 with BRAD and BUCK.

I don't think I can go back to any other strap.
1KIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #71
1KIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirewisp View Post
Has anyone used the sling adapter for the OPtech pro straps? I'm just curious how people like it and if it is safe to have your camera hanging from just one of the loops.
I have the Pro Strap itself that goes around the neck, but never swapped out the straps for the sling version. I almost bought the sling strap adapters but got a great deal on Black Rapid RS-7 strap for 25% off!
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #72
xMClass
Goldmember

I use Think Tank's camera strap. I rarely hang my camera around my neck so this works perfectly for transporting it on my shoulder. It hasn't slipped off once.

Here's an old picture of it:

Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #73
nfbuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazybandit View Post
Mine is nothing special. I bought a old Black Rapid RS-4 that was used and ended up flipping it for a profit and ended up buying a Black Rapid RS-7 with BRAD and BUCK.

I don't think I can go back to any other strap.
Same here, love that thing. Most comfortable strap I've ever had by a longshot.
Canon 5D Mark II // Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE // Canon 50mm f/1.2L // Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE // Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L Mark II // Speedlite 430EX II // Leica D-Lux 5 Titanium Edition // Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 // Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead
nfbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #74
karlpilkington

Got a Quick Rapid Strap last night. (BR knockoff). The mains trap is a little thin both in depth/strength and width but I just needed a sling so it'll do.
karlpilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2011 (Wed)   #75
1KIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbuckeye View Post
Same here, love that thing. Most comfortable strap I've ever had by a longshot.
When I had the RS-4, I liked the zippered pocket. With the RS-7, theres no pocket. Do you have any of the JOEY's? Don't know if I want to spend $20 or so for a pocket. Would be nice to hold a memory card and extra battery.
Feedbacks | Selling :: Herringbone, BlackRapid, Lowepro, Hufa Strap/Lens Clip