Thread started 22 May 2011 (Sunday) 14:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

photoflux
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

excellent shots JC!

Thanks for imparting your wisdom as well.

Post #16, May 23, 2011 10:50:08

A picture is worth a thousand words.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow, thanks for all the insider information! ;)

So you prefer to bounce your flashes off a side wall rather than say the ceiling?

Post #17, May 23, 2011 11:52:01

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

nicksan wrote in post #12463454external link
Wow, thanks for all the insider information! ;)

So you prefer to bounce your flashes off a side wall rather than say the ceiling?

Yes. Bouncing off the ceiling can give you "raccoon eyes". The human body is basically a cylinder. Round cylinders typically look their best when lit from the side. Bouncing or aiming your light from two sides will give you a very nice light on the body as well as give you a nice area of coverage.

Post #18, May 23, 2011 12:00:14

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

jcolman wrote in post #12463508external link
Yes. Bouncing off the ceiling can give you "raccoon eyes". The human body is basically a cylinder. Round cylinders typically look their best when lit from the side. Bouncing or aiming your light from two sides will give you a very nice light on the body as well as give you a nice area of coverage.

Good tip.

I only have speedlights so I suppose what I can do would be limited by the size of the venue. What kind of mono-lights do you use for the bigger venues?

Post #19, May 23, 2011 12:09:21

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

nicksan wrote in post #12463558external link
Good tip.

I only have speedlights so I suppose what I can do would be limited by the size of the venue. What kind of mono-lights do you use for the bigger venues?

Speedlights can work in a larger venue. You may have to compensate for longer recycle time unless you use some external battery packs.

The whole idea of using any sort of light isn't necessarily to overpower the ambient light and light up the entire place, rather you are supplementing the existing light and putting the light where you want it. Even with speedlights I rarely use them at anything more than 1/2 power. The advantage of speedlights is that they are small, cheap and easy to move around.

Any kind of mono light will work. I use Photogenics. The advantage of mono lights is a larger reflector head and almost instant recycle time.

Post #20, May 23, 2011 12:23:28

sponsored links
S-Man
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,005 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Coleman, how are you triggering your OCFs AND your On-Camera 580?
I use Cybersyncs for the OCF's at a low power to get quick and rapid pops, but have recently run into the problem of not being able to fire my on camera 580 with the OCFs without at least one of them mis-firing. The method used is a mini-sync cord with the trigger mounted on my 580 on camera. Input?
And, thanks for sharing so much thus far.

Post #21, May 23, 2011 13:58:47

Sam
Blog;external link Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link;external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/slickpixphotoexternal linkFacebookexternal linkhttps://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link https://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

S-Man wrote in post #12464264external link
Coleman, how are you triggering your OCFs AND your On-Camera 580?
I use Cybersyncs for the OCF's at a low power to get quick and rapid pops, but have recently run into the problem of not being able to fire my on camera 580 with the OCFs without at least one of them mis-firing. The method used is a mini-sync cord with the trigger mounted on my 580 on camera. Input?
And, thanks for sharing so much thus far.

I use pocket wizards. I love them and own 8 of them. I have my 580's hotshoe modified to accept a pocket wizard sync input. Lon at Flashzebra (great people!) sells them.

This is a pic of my setup. Excuse the color. I didn't bother to correct it.

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/3Q7K7791.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...colman_photo/3Q7K77​94.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 504 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Post #22, May 23, 2011 14:13:26

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Is that a mod on your 580EX flash? Why not just use the PC Sync port?

OK, I see it's this product: http://flashzebra.com/​canon580ex_footassembl​y.shtmlexternal link

But again, why not just use the PC Sync port?

**OK, nevermind. The 580EXI doesn't have a PC Sync port...duh.

Post #23, May 23, 2011 16:12:33

Foto-graphy
Joined Dec 2009
101 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I also use a 5Dmk and a 1dmk3
Never had problems using 580ex & 580exII + pw's firing multiple ocf's

Do people really have problems with this? I have no idea why....

The reason people modify their 580ex1's is so that they can use them as ocf's.
Using it as on camera flash connected to hot shoe + using pw at the same time is like wtf.

Maybe your PC ports are damaged, I have had that happen with one of my 5D's when a cord got snagged, I had to send it into cps and was about $100 if I recall correctly.

Actually now that I think about it my 580 does misfire sometimes, but that's only because it takes a while to recycle if I'm discharging a lot and not using a turbo pack.

Post #24, May 24, 2011 17:04:41

My Blogexternal link
Partial Equipment Listexternal link

S-Man
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,005 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Foto-graphy wrote in post #12471837external link
...Using it as on camera flash connected to hot shoe + using pw at the same time is like wtf.

I don't understand this. Could you expound on that a little bit?

Are you asking why someone would want to use this configuration?
Or why it behaves like it does when using this configuration?
:confused:

Post #25, May 24, 2011 18:43:37

Sam
Blog;external link Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link;external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/slickpixphotoexternal linkFacebookexternal linkhttps://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link https://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Foto-graphy wrote in post #12471837external link
I also use a 5Dmk and a 1dmk3
Never had problems using 580ex & 580exII + pw's firing multiple ocf's

Do people really have problems with this? I have no idea why....

The reason people modify their 580ex1's is so that they can use them as ocf's.
Using it as on camera flash connected to hot shoe + using pw at the same time is like wtf.

Maybe your PC ports are damaged, I have had that happen with one of my 5D's when a cord got snagged, I had to send it into cps and was about $100 if I recall correctly.

Actually now that I think about it my 580 does misfire sometimes, but that's only because it takes a while to recycle if I'm discharging a lot and not using a turbo pack.

The main reason I don't use the PC ports is that I don't like having a cable coming out the side of the camera. I've had PC cables come loose too many times because my hand is trying to hold the camera at the same place as the PC port. It's much easier just to plug into the hot shoe base and the cable stays out of the way.

I like to use a touch of on-camera flash for fill light while firing off camera lights for my key lights. That's why I will use the above mentioned combo.

Post #26, May 24, 2011 21:05:14

sponsored links
Foto-graphy
Joined Dec 2009
101 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jcolman wrote in post #12473128external link
don't like having a cable coming out the side of the camera. I've had PC cables come loose too many times because my hand is trying to hold the camera at the same place as the PC port. It's much easier just to plug into the hot shoe base and the cable stays out of the way.

ahh i see, yeah I understand why you did it that way now.
The pc port location is definitely a little inconvenient.

jcolman wrote in post #12473128external link
I like to use a touch of on-camera flash for fill light while firing off camera lights for my key lights. That's why I will use the above mentioned combo.

I know how to use ocf, been doing it for at least 2 years now. :)
I just never used umbrellas like you, don't know if I would want to do that, I think it would be too distracting.

A couple untouched photos from one of the latest weddings that I have had time to put up on my blog

IMAGE: http://www.foto-graphy.com/blog/2011/apr/30/109.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.foto-graphy.com/blog/2011/apr/30/111.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.foto-graphy.com/blog/2011/apr/30/93.jpg

Post #27, May 25, 2011 11:18:56

My Blogexternal link

RazorbackSam
Joined Mar 2010
353 posts
Arkansas
[MORE/SHARE]

The Cactus V5 has a hotshoe on each transceiver and can be used to fire OCF and the flashgun sitting on your camera... They're not near as expensice as PW's either...

Post #28, May 25, 2011 11:47:10

[Canon 7D | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | 18-135 3.5~5.6 IS | 28mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 | Manfrotto 055XPROB Legs - 222 Head | Manfrotto 060B MonoPod
www.settlephotos.comexternal link

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Foto-graphy wrote in post #12476492external link
ahh i see, yeah I understand why you did it that way now.
The pc port location is definitely a little inconvenient.

I know how to use ocf, been doing it for at least 2 years now. :)
I just never used umbrellas like you, don't know if I would want to do that, I think it would be too distracting.

Nice shots!

You have a good point about being too distracting with umbrellas, but honestly, I've never had a complaint yet. I tend to use them only in larger venues, but I did use some smaller umbrellas once in a pretty small venue. No one seemed to mind and they were certainly not in anyones way.

Post #29, May 25, 2011 12:31:43

Foto-graphy
Joined Dec 2009
101 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jcolman wrote in post #12476975external link
Nice shots!

You have a good point about being too distracting with umbrellas, but honestly, I've never had a complaint yet. I tend to use them only in larger venues, but I did use some smaller umbrellas once in a pretty small venue. No one seemed to mind and they were certainly not in anyones way.

Thank you
To get more light coverage do you find that you have to increase the flash output to compensate for the diffusion when using umbrella vs bare bulb ocf in larger rooms? When doing bare ocf, do you bounce off the ceiling or use direct flash?

I do a little bit of both (direct flash pointed at the dance floor and sometimes bounce.)
Also I use sto-fen diffusers for my ocf's occasionally.

Soo many options :lol:

Post #30, May 25, 2011 12:52:19

My Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reception lighting 101
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES