Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 22 May 2011 (Sunday) 20:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens Selection for Holland

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Haarlem, Netherlands
May 26, 2011 08:40 |  #16

brugge is very nice indeed.

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Andy_Cam
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 26, 2011 08:41 |  #17

I never quite understand threads like this.

I'd take the smallest low key lens I had so that I didn't get mugged by all of the hookers, pimps and junkies. [/stereotypes]

Although I work in Amsterdam, I have never actually been into the centre to take photos aside for a couple of weddings and events.

If I was going into the centre to take some snaps, I'd probably take everything on your list with me. Street candids -85mm (there are lots of odd people to take pictures of)
Nice scenery with narrow streets and canals - 16-35
Everything else while you are walking around - 28-135.

Gear | flickrexternal link

Cpt.Vanquisher
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Belgium
May 26, 2011 09:01 |  #18

amfoto1 wrote in post #12481862external link
While I agree that Bruges, in particular, is a wonderful place (Bert forgot to mention waffles)... I would think that the Nederlands would be a wonderful place to shoot and could keep me busy for weeks or months.

That's true. But when you are making a very long trip to go to the Netherlands, Belgium is just around the corner :) I would advice the same thing to tourists visiting Belgium. Both countries may appear similar at first glace, but differ a lot. The cities in the Netherlands are a lot more modern, while Belgium is more Medieval or Renaissance. Also the people are different. The Dutch are a bit more open and talkative than Belgians, but we make better beer ;)

Bert
gear - modelmayhemexternal link - facebookexternal link - blogexternal link

Frogdog
227 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Holland
May 26, 2011 09:05 |  #19

There are a lot of nice places to visit in Holland. A few more tips : a not so typical Dutch city; Maastrichtexternal link in the South. "National parc de Hoge Veluwe" Hoge Veluweexternal link if you are interested in nature. "Texelexternal link an Island in the northern part of the country, about 1 hour drive from Amsterdam + a ferry trip of 1/2 hour starting in the "Den Helder port" Texel is famous for the very nice light. ( and sheep ) . And almost forgot Keukenhofexternal link with all the nice tulips.

Let us know what your plans are!

Eos 5(A2e) / 35 2.0 / 50 1.4 / 70-210 3.5-4.5 / 430EXII / G12 / iPhone 4S / Olympus Muj II
flickrexternal link

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Amsterdam, Netherlands
May 26, 2011 09:07 as a reply to Andy_Cam's post |  #20

Being from 'Holland' (the Netherlands), I wouldn't recommend taking anything longer than 100mm - you won't find much use for it I think.

A city like Amsterdam is unlike anything you'll have ever seen and MUCH smaller than any other 'big' city you've ever seen. Only 750.000 people live in Amsterdam.
I'd suggest taking a (U)WA for the canals and what not.
Like mentioned in the post above: there's a LOT of weird people to take candids of, so get something in the 85mm range too.

The ideal lens would be a 15-85 I guess. The one lens that could do it all in the Netherlands!

In Amsterdam, the things you wanna do are:
- Anne Frank huis (house) - the house where the famous Anne Frank lived. Make sure you are there EARLY, even before opening time. Cues can be up to several hours long if you're unlucky. Make sure you're there 15 mins before it opens.
- Rijksmuseum, beautiful museum as far as I recall, I haven't been there in 10 years, but even 10 years ago, when I was 10, I was blown away.
- Van Gogh museum - same. Next to the Rijksmuseum, beautiful!
- Red light district. Of course. Mandatory when visiting the Netherlands I think. You'll be amazed!
- A coffeeshop. Self explanatory.
- Take a tour through the canals. I was always really skeptical towards 'touristy' stuff like this, but you'll experience the city in a whole other way. Highly recommended.

Apart from Amsterdam, there's other places you'll wanna visit:
- Leiden, my hometown, and if you're in the right parts a beautiful city with a 400 year old city center. My house was build 450 years ago on dried cow skins (how's that for a change...)
- Volendam, THÉ stereotype Dutch town. Wooden shoes, cheese and windmills. Of course it's also a bit like this because of the tourists, but the houses and ships testify of the authenticity of the town. Now there's a lot of organized tourist-trips to Volendam, but you're better of going to the central station (there's tram's going everywhere in that direction) and going there by train yourself (15 min by train or so). Train ticket will be 5-10€ two-way.
- Keukenhof (if it's open), in spring and summertime this is the biggest flower 'exhibition' in the world. It's beautiful.
- Kinderdijk, a place famous for it's plethora of windmills. You'll fully understand what 'polder' is here. Polder is basically land below sea-level (like half of our country is). They used windmills to pump all the water to the sea. Dikes, windmills and polder? This is THE place to fully experience it.

EDIT:
Texel! How awesome is that! You'll absolutely love it there! Definitely recommend going there!

As some other people already mentioned:
Brugge/Burges is a really nice town as well! The 'Venice' of Belgium, but not as Venicy as Amsterdam!

Good luck on your trip!
If you wanna know something, shoot me a PM!

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Haarlem, Netherlands
May 26, 2011 09:47 |  #21

Cpt.Vanquisher wrote in post #12482143external link
That's true. But when you are making a very long trip to go to the Netherlands, Belgium is just around the corner :) I would advice the same thing to tourists visiting Belgium. Both countries may appear similar at first glace, but differ a lot. The cities in the Netherlands are a lot more modern, while Belgium is more Medieval or Renaissance. Also the people are different. The Dutch are a bit more open and talkative than Belgians, but we make better beer ;)

Thats not entirely true. We've got city's older than belgium itself. Take Utrecht for example. Founded by the romans :)

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickrexternal link

artyH
Goldmember
2,072 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 26, 2011 09:55 |  #22

I spent a week in Utrecht a few years ago, and it is pretty close to Amsterdam. The train will get you there in about 40 min or so.
I'd use the short zoom - the 16-35 should be good for this.
If you want to take a longer, or shorter, or fast lens or a longer zoom, that would work too. It depends on what you want to photograph.
If I had a 16-35, I think that should cover most of what you would want to photograph.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Netherlands
May 26, 2011 10:26 |  #23

TijmenDal: Wow, I'm getting some really nice photo tips here :D

As fun as old, historic city centres are, some more modern or even urban sceneries can also be lovely. I'm planning a shoot in old coal mines in Genk (belgium) soon which will be fun. Also the famous waterworks (Stormvloedkering in Walcheren) can also be a great photographic experience, especially in heavy wind and cloudy weather such as today.

When I'm shooting city centres here, I think I'd just bring a 5D + 17-40 and 40D + 50-135, but might leave the 40D and bring the 5D + 17-40, 28 1.8, and 85 1.8. I really like that small and light trio for street- + cityscapes.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickrexternal link
"My featured shots"external link

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
May 26, 2011 14:26 |  #24

I said this a few times on this forum: In old Europe you will want to use as wide lens as you can get. Very seldom you may want a telephoto, maybe only for candids on the streets. The streets are narrow, the places are tight. I remember that on one of my early trips to Italy all the shots of the cathedrals were partial, I could never fit the whole thing in the frame!

A word of caution: I was in Amsterdam many time. A real fun city for tourists - museums, culture, people on the streets, coffee shops (it is NOT exactly the place you go to for a cup of coffee!), and of course the Red Light district. In the District the girls really do not like you taking photographs. You may want to put the camera in your bag if you are there after dark.

You will find that the people there are very friendly, they speak English, and they like to speak English, and always happy to help. Very safe place day or night. Outside of Amsterdam, in small towns (which you would not want to miss) the people are even friendlier. Enjoy your trip!

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Alabama
May 26, 2011 18:03 |  #25

You need a 15-85mm to replace all your zooms and maye a 55-250.

wilerty
237 posts
Joined May 2005
Syracuse, NY
May 27, 2011 00:06 |  #26

The 28-135 will not be wide enough. I would suggest you sell the 28-135 and get an 18-135 ... or better yet, but much more expensive ... a 15-85.

Bill

| Olympus OM-D M5 | Canon G1 X | S95 | 320EX |

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Netherlands
May 27, 2011 01:24 |  #27

wilerty wrote in post #12486955external link
The 28-135 will not be wide enough. I would suggest you sell the 28-135 and get an 18-135 ... or better yet, but much more expensive ... a 15-85.

With the 17-85 as a very nice (often overlooked) in between option.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickrexternal link
"My featured shots"external link

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Leamington, UK
May 27, 2011 17:43 as a reply to TweakMDS's post |  #28

Holland is a really small country. Make sure you take a macro lens.;)

Paul

Katalyst
811 posts
Joined Feb 2010
The Netherlands
May 27, 2011 18:51 |  #29

Good point, also... We have plenty of lenses here, so why bother bringing your own? ;)

sponsored links

1,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Selection for Holland
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.