Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 20 Jun 2011 (Monday) 03:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rubber Camera Armour Skin for 60D

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jun 20, 2011 09:49 |  #16

A simple google search (much simpler than posting on this forum) would've given you more results.

http://www.cameraarmor​.com/catalog/For-Canon,2.htmexternal link

None for 60d yet.

My Galleryexternal link
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

sponsored links
KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Metro Denver, CO, USA
Jun 20, 2011 09:49 |  #17

gnaw wrote in post #12624935external link
It's not just a camera... it's my soul-mate.

gnaw,
While I can understand some sense of 'closeness' to your camera, to put your camera in a bubble is like protecting yourself from yourself.

I hope you find a suitable solution, though I wonder how usable your camera will be if you put it in a bubble...

Regards

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Toronto, Canada
Jun 20, 2011 09:59 |  #18
banned

Camera armor is too thin, here is a better version:

http://cgi.ebay.com ...overs&hash=item2c5d​42aab2external link

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

eeeksNYC
Joined Jan 2008
NYC/NJ
Jun 20, 2011 10:03 |  #19

I used Camera Armor for about 5 minutes...picked up every piece of lint within a 5 mile radius of my camera. Blocked easy access to buttons and controls....just clunky overall....

eeeksNYC (my blogexternal link, my flickrexternal link)
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/external link

gnaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined May 2010
Scarborough, T.O.
Jun 20, 2011 10:07 |  #20

bongEstrella wrote in post #12625268external link
A simple google search (much simpler than posting on this forum) would've given you more results.

http://www.cameraarmor​.com/catalog/For-Canon,2.htmexternal link

None for 60d yet.

Well, the website actually wasn't working too well earlier. Before I started this thread. I also wanted all your input/suggestion on totally protecting my camera.

KoalaCowboy wrote in post #12625269external link
gnaw,
While I can understand some sense of 'closeness' to your camera, to put your camera in a bubble is like protecting yourself from yourself.

I hope you find a suitable solution, though I wonder how usable your camera will be if you put it in a bubble...

Regards

KoalaCowboy, I'm glad you can understand what my camera means to me. It is most definitely close to me and I guess I'm only protecting myself - which I suppose is the right thing to do.

I'm not sure what you mean putting my camera in a bubble? Isn't the skin enough? Are you suggesting another method?

Hermeto wrote in post #12625334external link
Camera armor is too thin, here is a better version:

http://cgi.ebay.com ...overs&hash=item2c5d​42aab2external link

Hey, thank you! But I'm not looking towards sub-arctic temperatures anytime soon. (Although Canadian winters are BRUTAL.)

eeeksNYC wrote in post #12625359external link
I used Camera Armor for about 5 minutes...picked up every piece of lint within a 5 mile radius of my camera. Blocked easy access to buttons and controls....just clunky overall....

No way! That can't be? That sounds awful!

Well, honestly, I hope someone invents/comes-up with a win-win situation. :cool:

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jun 20, 2011 10:10 |  #21

gnaw wrote in post #12625384external link
KoalaCowboy, I'm glad you can understand what my camera means to me. It is most definitely close to me and I guess I'm only protecting myself - which I suppose is the right thing to do.

I'm not sure what you mean putting my camera in a bubble? Isn't the skin enough? Are you suggesting another method?

I don't think you're understanding the context of what people are saying here to be honest. Moving on..

My Galleryexternal link
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

DenZ
396 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Jun 20, 2011 10:30 |  #22

I once shared the same desire to protect my equipment and I understand where you're coming from. Just look and see what I put on my iPodexternal link and you'll realize how ridiculous the whole thing is. Back then the 4th gen iPods were the sexiest electronics on the market. The toughskin effectively made it an ugly white translucent brick that added 50% more bulk to a music player that was supposed to be portable and made it impossible to squeeze into my pocket thanks to the friction. Worse, when I finally decided to keep it as a stay-at-home iPod by stripping it of its skin and leaving it forever on its dock, I noticed scratches all over-- it hadn't protected my iPod from anything! Lesson: Where dust can enter, dust will enter, and rubber will merely grind rough particles into the beloved casing of your electronics in patterns you couldn't even replicate had you not had rubber on it in the first place. I'm cringing already at thinking of what would happen to my 5D if I encased it in something similar to the ToughSkin.

The whole point of having that beloved magnesium alloy case is that it protects your camera's internals over the course of normal wear and use. Something's more likely to break internally before your thumb manages to bore a hole into the back panel of your camera. If you're afraid a devastating accident happening befalling your 60D go check your homeowner's insurance policy and see if you can't toss some insurance coverage on your gear. It'll protect it from more than a devastating drop (water and fire damage, theft, etc.) that'll probably cost less than rubberdizing the thing.

At best, throw on a screen protector for your LCD (although even the protective LCD layer you could replace if you really wanted to).

BLOGexternal link | Equipment | flickrexternal link | dentonzhou.comexternal link

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Apsley, On. CAN.
Jun 20, 2011 10:33 |  #23

rediculous. but that's my opinion.
OCD.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

Johnsoir
416 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Dartmouth, NS
Jun 20, 2011 10:51 |  #24

When I first got my Rebel I felt the same way! I had to have as much protection. As I grew with my photography and gear I quickly learned that protecting my gear from small scratches was really the least of my worries.

I was pretty rough on my 40D and besides a knick on the top LCD the isn't anything amiss. I'm really harsh with my 5D MKII, but it seems to come out fine, and besides some scratching about high use areas, it works just as new.

On the note of the CameraArmour and such, I had a friend who had some for his 5D, after cutting out a section around the battery door, another around both rear dials, another away from the rear buttons, a small chunk around the shutter release, some from around the lens mount and a lot from around the battery door it was finally usable. The hot shoe was difficult to get to, you couldn't get to any of the side ports easily, DOF button was unusable, and forget about using a grip.

After about 3 months of on and off use it pitched it in the garbage and decided he would have been better off burning the money and taking pictures of it.

Do what DenZ said and get insurance. Besides if your passion is taking shots of products I can't see it being in danger all that much.

5D MKII w/Grip, 40D w/ Grip, 400D w/ Grip, EFs 18-55mm, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, EF 75-300 III USM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Pentacon Six 45mm Tilt, Composer Lens Baby, 430EX, 580EXII,....and big dreams.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Bangkok
Jun 20, 2011 11:02 as a reply to Johnsoir's post |  #25

My 550D has been everywhere with me in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. There is not one scratch on it. Uses your camera as it was intended to be used, take good care of it and it should remain scratch free.

When I was a kind my grandmother was the type of person to cover car seats with that horrible plastic. I hated it with a passion. Seats were meant to be sat in with their original texture. Cameras are the same. Enjoy your camera how it was designed to be used, not with some stupid camera condom.

Personally, you need help with your OCD. I think by reading most of your comments you are nothing but a troll.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500pxexternal link
flickrexternal link

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008
above 5000 feet
Jun 20, 2011 11:10 |  #26

The easiest way to avoid getting paranoid about scratching your brand new camera is to sell it and buy a used one that already has some scratches.

At one time I owned two 5D classic bodies. One was like new and the other had several scuffs and scratches. I never thought twice about tossing the uglier one in a camera bag or setting it down on rough concrete. It felt rather liberating.

Anyway, I have a case for my cell phone and when I removed it to clean it I noticed lots of scratches on the phone. The scratches wouldn't be there if I did not have the case on it. The case only helps to soften the impact when the phone is dropped it does not keep the phone looking like new. I would expect the same from camera armor.

Paul

Gear -- Flickrexternal link

coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 20, 2011 13:57 |  #27

I don't understand why everyone is ragging on gnaw. He wants to protect something he spent money on. I bet most of you have protection on your precious phones which cost a lot less than any dslr ever would.

I don't like dings and dents on anything I own either. I'm just careful when handling expensive equipment and even more careful when it belongs to someone else.
Personally, I think it's overkill, mostly because I can see it getting in the way, but I can understand why gnaw is looking for some kind of cover.

Gnaw, if you are going to use tape, take a look at 'gorilla tape'. It's pretty thick, and the adhesive tends to stay with the tape if removed, unlike duct tape.

Dave

Canon 7D/EF14mmL /EF28-135mm /EF70-300mm /EX580II
Canon F

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Looking thru the viewfinder
Jun 20, 2011 14:10 |  #28

You know, if your heart is really set on having a skin, you could always fab one out yourself.

They make a paint or dip specific to coating tool handles and such. Basically like liquid plastic. Take your camera and wrap it up in Saran Wrap, nice an tight. Then dip it in the can. You'll need to do this 5 - 10 times to get a nice effectively thick coating. Make sure to let it dry between coats.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Sacramento
Jun 20, 2011 14:22 |  #29

Gnaw

Found the perfect solution for you; bullet proof protection

http://canon60d.amirw.​net ...ousing-for-canon-eos-60d/external link

GEAR LIST Flickrexternal link

coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 20, 2011 14:33 |  #30

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #12626833external link
Gnaw

Found the perfect solution for you; bullet proof protection

http://canon60d.amirw.​net ...ousing-for-canon-eos-60d/external link

And it won't get wet! :D

Canon 7D/EF14mmL /EF28-135mm /EF70-300mm /EX580II
Canon F

sponsored links

13,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rubber Camera Armour Skin for 60D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.