Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What lens is good for Indoor architectural with 5D?

bentlax33
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 08:28 |  #1

I'm looking to take some indoor architectural shots for a friend of mine. I've wanted to get a Ultra Wide angle lens for awhile now and this is just the excuse I need with my wife. However, what would be a great wide lens that I could possibly use on both my 7D and 5D? I'm covered from the 17-300mm range with pretty good glass for the 7D but only 24-300mm with the 5D.

Any suggestions would help immensely.

My budget would be up to....$1000. But I'm guessing this might not be a lens I use all that often so I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side if possible I'd like to spend $500-$600 on a used lens if possible. I'm also saving for a 5DII, so keeping some money in reserve would be great.

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 24, 2011 03:02 |  #2

One option would be the Sigma EX 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM. This is a full-frame covering lens.

This lens would get you very wide on your 7D and extremely wide with your 5D, extending the functionalily of both cameras. Distortion is very minimal so it is good for architecture. Use a tripod and stop well down and it should perform well for you.

Photo Gear

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2011 07:10 |  #3

Rent a TS lens

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

bentlax33
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 24, 2011 08:16 |  #4

I have no idea how to use a tilt shift lens....I feel like they might be too complicated for me to get a hang of. How do you know how much to tilt and shift?

Know where any good tutorials on TS are?

The 12-24 sounds like an option though.

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2011 08:43 |  #5

bentlax33 wrote in post #12649996 (external link)
I have no idea how to use a tilt shift lens....I feel like they might be too complicated for me to get a hang of. How do you know how much to tilt and shift?

Know where any good tutorials on TS are?

The 12-24 sounds like an option though.

You don't need to use the tilt function, only the shift function. Once you have the lens you'll figure it around 2 minutes, not complicated at all. But using a very wide lens, then processed it at PS could do it as well.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 24, 2011 08:53 as a reply to  @ KVN Photo's post |  #6

The wide zoom might be better as a more general purpose lens. If you want to get the same efffect as the shift of a TS lens shoot wider than you need and keep the camera level (fore/aft as well as the usual side/side) and crop the image to get rid of the extra foreground. This will keep walls square. Touch up with perspective control in editng software.

You lose some resolution but you may not need the higher resolution depending on end use.

bentlax33
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 24, 2011 09:05 |  #7

I might just rent the TS and buy a used 12-24. If I don't like it I can probably resell it for minimal loss. Had no Idea TS lens was really that easy to use.

Gliderparentntn
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 24, 2011 09:06 |  #8

indoors lighting won't be ideal for a lens with 5.6 maybe look for a 16-35 2.8 version 1 for around the price range you wish to stay within.

James
1DMKIII, 1DsMKIII, 17-40L, 24-70L[COLOR=black], 135[COLOR=red]L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS,200L, 300 f/4L IS, 400 5.6L, 600L, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM, 1.4xII + extension tubes, MPe65

bentlax33
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 24, 2011 09:07 |  #9

I wouldn't mind loosing some resolution. These aren't going to be printed large so I don't think the resolution loss will be noticed.

bentlax33
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 24, 2011 09:20 |  #10

I plan on using a tripod and I'm going to bring my strobes along as well for some lighting options so I am not that concerned with the 5.6. But I'll look into the 16-35 anyways....I guess you can never have a lens that is too fast.

Although thinking of it...DOF could be a concern in this particular application. I will probably stop down and try to light the scene adequately with my strobes.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2011 10:08 |  #11

I actually often use a modified 10-22 on a 1Ds mark III for architectural shots. It does a nice job, and it's ultrawide on both 1.6 crop and FF. You are often shooting stopped down for architectural work, like F/11 or so on full frame, so sharpness usually isn't an issue whatever lens you use. So even a cheaper Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 (I believe they work from about 18mm and up on full frame) will do a decent job.

But if you want to get serious into it, consider a tilt shift. That's what I mostly use nowadays.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

bentlax33
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 24, 2011 10:25 |  #12

I've read the Sigma 12-24 has minimal distortion an due to the fact its truly a full from compatible lens I think that's the route I'm going to look to go for now.

Renting a TS

How did you modify the 10-22 just pulling off the rubber/plastic ring that protrudes at the back of the mount?

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2011 10:37 |  #13

bentlax33 wrote in post #12650580 (external link)
I've read the Sigma 12-24 has minimal distortion an due to the fact its truly a full from compatible lens I think that's the route I'm going to look to go for now.

Renting a TS

How did you modify the 10-22 just pulling off the rubber/plastic ring that protrudes at the back of the mount?

The 10-22 is actually quite excellent in it's distortion control, and especially great at flare control. This is a very useful spec because there are often MANY light sources visible in the frame in an interior shot; from a dozen lamps to a dozen windows. Flare control is absolutely critical for interior shooting.

This is how I modified my lens:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=361877

I use the 17mm TS-E for most shooting. The nice thing about the 17 is that you can put the 1.4X teleconverter and turn it into a 24mm TS-E. It's like having two lenses in one.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 24, 2011 13:41 |  #14

KY707 wrote in post #12649791 (external link)
Rent a TS lens

+1!

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

artyH
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 24, 2011 13:53 |  #15

What about the 17-40? This is pretty wide on a 5D and should be sharp stopped down.
http://www.slrgear.com …uct.php/product​/31/cat/11 (external link)

sponsored links

1,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
What lens is good for Indoor architectural with 5D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.