Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do people tape up 'Canon' and 'model'?

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 01, 2011 19:58 |  #106

Quad that's a neat looking camera it's almost looks like gunmetal black.

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2011 21:12 |  #107

melanopsin wrote in post #12857489 (external link)
+1 the character of remote peoples. They have no use for cameras or money. They are not thieves or murderers. These are the peoples who will survive the worldwide economic breakdown.

I agree..

I was up in the far north of Laos early this year,,very remote and isolated.. My friend and I stopped in a small village to buy some drinking water.. Hanging near the counter of a tiny shop was a Nikon point and shoot. My friend asked the lady who owned the shop if the camera was for sale. She replied no. It was left here by a foreigner and she was awaiting his return so she could give the camera back to him.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2011 21:14 |  #108

LowriderS10 wrote in post #12860108 (external link)
Canon actually did that back in the '70s/'80s with the AE-1/AE-1 Program cameras...released all-black versions for news photographers (though it still had the Canon lettering in white), because it was less conspicuous than the silver/black cameras of the day. I have a minty-mint all-black AE-1 Program...one of my most prized cameras :)

Tamas,, black cameras have been around well before the 1980s.. Nikon released their black Nikon F in the 1960s.

Jurgen

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 01, 2011 21:32 |  #109

E James P wrote in post #12860259 (external link)
Quad that's a neat looking camera it's almost looks like gunmetal black.

Thanks. I like the camera even though it's black chrome gets slagged for being an inferior finish to black painted models. That camera is 30+ years old and has been through quite a lot and still looks decent and more importantly it works.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2011 22:05 |  #110

yogestee wrote in post #12860684 (external link)
Tamas,, black cameras have been around well before the 1980s.. Nikon released their black Nikon F in the 1960s.

I realize that...I never said Canon was the first, I simply said Canon has done the same thing for the same reasons :) Since it's a Canon board, I thought some people may find it interesting...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 22:46 |  #111
bannedPermanent ban

If Canon didn't add the white paint on the camera name it might be ok for others not to tape it up, also put the "EOS60D" at the back of the camera in small letters on the LCD back cover

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

Broomdude
49 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 01, 2011 22:48 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #112

To me, it would be for reducing attention/theft. I replaced my stock strap because I didn't want to have a big "CANON 60D" logo hanging around my neck when I travel with it. I just feel that if the thief doesn't know what it is, he/she maybe less likely to try to steal it. If I had an even more expensive camera like a 5D or 1D, I would definately NOT want other people to know/notice.

And then people might also tape up the model and logo just to be different, like how some people debadge their cars (I am guilty of this :o). :lol:

60D, 15-85mm, 70-300mm, 50mm f1.8, 430ex II

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 23:13 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

Broomdude wrote in post #12861194 (external link)
To me, it would be for reducing attention/theft. I replaced my stock strap because I didn't want to have a big "CANON 60D" logo hanging around my neck when I travel with it. I just feel that if the thief doesn't know what it is, he/she maybe less likely to try to steal it. If I had an even more expensive camera like a 5D or 1D, I would definately NOT want other people to know/notice.

And then people might also tape up the model and logo just to be different, like how some people debadge their cars (I am guilty of this :o). :lol:

There is no guilty feelling at all, I like the name on the camera But it will look better with a different colour than (white) IMO, and I agree with you over the EOS60D strap that is one thing I put in the bin I use an hand strap for now, if I was to buy a neck strap I would buy a Black one without Canon on it.

It don't matter how you hide your camera name or what bag you use the thieft will still take it because they know it's a DSLR;) some thiefts use chalk to mark you on your bag so they don't lose you.

Gear List

Broomdude
49 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 01, 2011 23:25 |  #114

CanonEOS wrote in post #12861314 (external link)
There is no guilty feelling at all, I like the name on the camera But it will look better with a different colour than (white) IMO, and I agree with you over the EOS60D strap that is one thing I put in the bin I use an hand strap for now, if I was to buy a neck strap I would buy a Black one without Canon on it.

It don't matter how you hide your camera name or what bag you use the thieft will still take it because they know it's a DSLR;) some thiefts use chalk to mark you on your bag so they don't lose you.

That is very true. And if they are expereienced thiefts, they can probably tell no matter what camouflage colors you put on your gears anyway. I guess all that I am doing is making myself feel more comfortable/less noticable by not advertising my gears......

BTW. I replaced the neck strap with a hand strap too, because I feel that a hand strap works better with the use of the filp out screen :)

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2011 23:32 |  #115

Thieves are opportunists,,they'll steal whatever they can that has some value..

A thief wouldn't plan to only steal Canon cameras one day, then Nikon the next.. To a thief, a camera has value irrespective of the make.

Jurgen

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2011 23:36 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

Broomdude wrote in post #12861364 (external link)
BTW. I replaced the neck strap with a hand strap too, because I feel that a hand strap works better with the use of the filp out screen :)

Agree, but I use the battery grip with the 60D, I see many Nikon cameras users here with the neck stap in yellow it look really "Ugly" it's as bad as Canon in red

Gear List

Broomdude
49 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 02, 2011 00:08 |  #117

yogestee wrote in post #12861395 (external link)
Thieves are opportunists,,they'll steal whatever they can that has some value..

A thief wouldn't plan to only steal Canon cameras one day, then Nikon the next.. To a thief, a camera has value irrespective of the make.

You are right. Maybe I should paint my camara pink :). That should decrease its value enough that even a thief doesn't want it.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 00:29 |  #118
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #12850159 (external link)
I wish I could find that picture of me with wide lapels, platform boots, a tie with a knot the size of my fist, and a three-inch-wide belt...

Oh, so do we!

I've never done it. As someone said, spotting a camera of a particular brand is pretty simple these days. Look at the back of a 5d MK II and the back of a Nikon-pick-a-model. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the brands should be able to pick them out.

Thieves? If someone decides to steal my camera, it won't be because of the brand or the model. It's be because he's a scumbag thief.

I've seen a lot of musicians cover up amplifier logos, primarily on Marshall amps. Why? Who knows? Maybe because Marshall wouldn't give them an endorsement deal.

There's really no compelling reason to do it...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Markulous
331 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 02, 2011 00:39 |  #119

ctranter wrote in post #12857495 (external link)
I do it so the insects and squirrels don't judge me.

Easily the best answer! I can't believe the level of paranoia and inflated egos in this thread.

I deliberately broke the GPS on my phone - as it was telling me where I was and that's personal info - and I'm way too important to get lost! :lol:

If it moves, snap it - and if it doesn't move, snap it twice just in case it does move!
ΜΛЯΚ @ Photobucket (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 02, 2011 02:32 |  #120

I de-badge my cars because I think badges are ugly...but I do it properly, not just stick a piece of tape over the badges...

As for the rest of what you said...I love my Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap partially for that reason...it's just black, so it doesn't scream "I have a camera"...however, you mentioned 5Ds and 1Ds...do you really think a thief won't notice that you have a bigass DSLR on you because you've managed to put tape over the "Canon" logo of your 1D?

When you have a 1D, you have to be on your toes and you have to be extra careful...covering up the logo won't do anything except make you look like a poser/silly trend follower. It's like saying that debadging your Ferrari will discourage thieves from stealing it. A thief who's bent on stealing it will steal it regardless of badges...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

17,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do people tape up 'Canon' and 'model'?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.