FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 13:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Jim ­ Neiger
Joined Sep 2007
598 posts
Kissimmee, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Another thing I should mention is to avoid using teleconverters until your skill has been developed a bit. The TCs make it more difficult.

Post #16, Aug 20, 2011 19:23:22

Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida
Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flightexternal link
Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotog​raphy.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
Joined Oct 2005
8,405 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

i have been using Jim's technique for all my in flight shots and i can tell you that it does work and i can also tell you that he is 100% correct about the use of the TC. what people don't understand is that shooting birds and especially birds in flight is a skill that you need to develop. you can't just pick up a heavy combination and expect to master it in a matter of days. if you are serious about improving, you will need to practice a LOT. i started with tracking the bigger birds and then slowly moved to the more difficult birds.

with that said, a lot of people seem to focus a lot on the gear and even on the technique but don't pay enough attention to the value in knowing your subject. once you really observe the bird and know how they behave, this gets MUCH easier. most birds (except for those damn swallows) are VERY predictable and have very unique flying styles. most experienced bird shooters can tell you exactly what a bird is going to do before it actually does it so they know how to anticipate.

Post #17, Aug 20, 2011 19:34:58

Shockey
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,187 posts
Boise Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

Jim is obviously an acknowledged expert at this.

It is probably obvious but the smaller the lens and magnification the easier this is.
With a 500 and the kind of magnication and weight involved is the application I made my first post in reference to utilizing the wind, angles and the tripod with appropriate ball head.
Yes normally tracking birds in flight is easier with out using a tripod....except with a huge lens and huge magnification....or after LOTS of practice perfecting the technique with smaller and lighter lenses....once you get it down, then graduate to heaver lenses with more magnification.

Post #18, Aug 20, 2011 21:10:12

Jim ­ Neiger
Joined Sep 2007
598 posts
Kissimmee, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Shockey wrote in post #12970110external link
Jim is obviously an acknowledged expert at this.

It is probably obvious but the smaller the lens and magnification the easier this is.
With a 500 and the kind of magnication and weight involved is the application I made my first post in reference to utilizing the wind, angles and the tripod with appropriate ball head.
Yes normally tracking birds in flight is easier with out using a tripod....except with a huge lens and huge magnification....or after LOTS of practice perfecting the technique with smaller and lighter lenses....once you get it down, then graduate to heaver lenses with more magnification.

The longer lenses are always easier hand held then tripod mounted for BIF. The biggest advantage of hand held is the ability to do the initial acquistion as I described. You can't pop the camera, lens, and tripod up to your eye to line up with your line of sight. The difference hand held vs tripod is HUGE. I spend a lot of time shooting with some of the best tripod shooters out there. When it comes to BIF shooting hand held is many times more productive and much easier.

Post #19, Aug 20, 2011 21:43:59

Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida
Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flightexternal link
Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotog​raphy.comexternal link

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,304 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

Kevin Hall wrote in post #12950283external link
Huntersdad is correct, there is technique developed for hand holding 500 and 600mm lenses to make birds in flight images. The guy you need to look up is Jim Neiger and either read as much info that he has offered online as you can or take one of his Flight School workshops.

I just checked his web site. Looks like an interesting thing to look into.

Post #20, Aug 20, 2011 21:58:15

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
What am I doing wrong?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES