Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 23 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 16:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

micro 4 thirds camera...

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006
San Jose, CA
Aug 23, 2011 16:18 |  #1

i see many different companies getting into that. how about canon?

i would love to see canon offer one... small compact and interchangeable lens.. drool...

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011
New Orleans, LA
Aug 23, 2011 16:19 |  #2

there's rumors that canon will release one sometime next year, same goes for nikon i think? i myself would really like to pick up one from canon but i've been eying the panasonic lumix GF2 for a while.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​mexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/external link

t3iblues
93 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 23, 2011 18:21 |  #3

Sony Nex C-3 http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/sonynexc3/external link
and Olympus EP-3 are rated tops and their image quality is about as good as a Canon t3i, 60D or 7D.

Olympus EP-3 excels at great jpegs right out of the camera. Sony Nex C-3 has the best RAWs

The Panasonics have only mediocre jpegs, but the best video

Thurman
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Sacramento, CA
Aug 23, 2011 18:41 |  #4

Aren't they suppose to be the death of entry level DSLR's?

Canon EOS Rebel T4i|18-55mm|50mm|55-250mm

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Aug 23, 2011 20:43 |  #5

I'd get one. Even pay for the adapter to use current EOS lenses. Heck, make an APS-C evil camera in the mold of the PEN or Sony NEX! Hells ya I be all over it!
Fuji x100 with its quirks and fixed lens or a Canon interchangable evil with Canon UI for less money and ability to swap lenses? I know what I'd get! :)
Either way, Canon better get busy and put a stop to the hold Panasonic and Fuji are getting with the GH and x100.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Sparky98
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
East Texas
Aug 23, 2011 21:08 |  #6

I don't have any experience with a 4/3 camera but from what I have read they still can't match the focusing speed, noise handling, or high ISO of a DSLR though they are getting closer with every new camera. I have said many times I would love to have a Canon digital rangefinder with a fast lens similar to the old Canonet series. I suppose the G series comes pretty close but it sure would be nice to have a larger sensor and maybe a few lenses though I would settle for a fixed lens similar to the X100.

Joe
5DIII

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Aug 23, 2011 21:15 |  #7

Sparky98 wrote in post #12988129external link
I don't have any experience with a 4/3 camera but from what I have read they still can't match the focusing speed, noise handling, or high ISO of a DSLR .

My e-p1 is better at the last 2 items than my 450D.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Aug 23, 2011 21:20 |  #8

I was wondering the same thing.
I have several decent FD lens and I could use then on either NEX or PEN With an adapter of course.
Anybody has experience?

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

EOS ­ mE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006
San Jose, CA
Aug 24, 2011 21:24 |  #9

BryantFC wrote in post #12986617external link
there's rumors that canon will release one sometime next year, same goes for nikon i think? i myself would really like to pick up one from canon but i've been eying the panasonic lumix GF2 for a while.

same here.. i've been eyeing the GF2.. but must resist.

BrickR wrote in post #12987994external link
I'd get one. Even pay for the adapter to use current EOS lenses. Heck, make an APS-C evil camera in the mold of the PEN or Sony NEX! Hells ya I be all over it!
Fuji x100 with its quirks and fixed lens or a Canon interchangable evil with Canon UI for less money and ability to swap lenses? I know what I'd get! :)
Either way, Canon better get busy and put a stop to the hold Panasonic and Fuji are getting with the GH and x100.

wow.. so u got the adapter to use your current canon lens? i assume it will be only manual focus right?

all in all, i hope canon will come out with one that will be kick a$$, but hopefully not in the super high $$ range. but most of all, give us the ability to use our current canon lens and still offer AF. :)

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Panaca, NV
Aug 24, 2011 21:30 |  #10

EOS mE wrote in post #12994656external link
but most of all, give us the ability to use our current canon lens and still offer AF. :)

Yes, that would be nice, but would like to use my existing Micro 4/3 lenses. I would suspect this is the way Canon will go. An L lens would be a bit out of place on a small Micro 4/3 body.

Jim

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Aug 24, 2011 21:35 |  #11

I'll take them a lot more seriously when they put in optical viewfinders. It's not that I hate Live View, just dislike it a lot. If someone else likes live view, that's cool, but I just don't like putting my camera at arm's length and trying to take a picture while the sun at my back glares off the screen, etc.

Give me an optical viewfinder and I'm very interested. Even a built in electric viewfinder is fine, but not an attachment.

That's just me.

I had the Olympus E-P1 and it was cool (I had the 17mm prime--equivalent to 34mm) and got some decent shots, but it couldn't come close to my Canon Rebel XS (had that camera at the same time). Not even close.

Shutter lag was present (and all mirrorless cameras will always have shutter lag due to the extra steps the shutter has to take: open, shut, open, shut, open. A dslr is already closed. You press the button and the shutter opens and shuts.....far less steps involved).

Automatic white balance was horrible.

Autofocus was slow.

No optical view finder.

Samples:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Look at what the auto white balance did in the shots below. The only way to fix that would be to shoot in raw (which means fixing it in PP) or fix the white balance yourself ahead of time if shooting in jpeg. I rely on my Canon's auto white balance, and it usually does a fantastic job. One less thing for me to think about.

Note: The EP1 had no built in flash and no image stabilization. I kept it for about four days and then sold it at a fifty dollar loss. That was fine. Plus, putting it in my pocket was a no-go. The weekend I had it my wife and I took a couple days away from the kids to go to downtown Athens, GA. I took a lot of photos, most of which were blurry unless very carefully composed (no IS, shutter lag, etc.). Back to the pocket thing: Even with the small prime, it took up a lot of space in my khaki pants with loose pockets. It wasn't that small (nothing close to the S 95 or Elf series). So I bought a belt pouch for ten bucks and used that, but it turns out I have too much vanity to walk around with anything attached to my belt. I just think that looks cheesy, be it a cellphone, camera, fanny pack, whatever......again, that's just my opinion, not any kind of fact.

The gods of digital photography are going to have to squeeze a four-thirds sensor into something the size of the S-95 with a collapsible zoom lens like the S-95 before I'll buy another. And they have to put in an optical viewfinder.

I doubt it will ever happen.

By the way, the Sony NEX series isn't four-thirds. It uses a crop sensor.

Thank you. bw!

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
Aug 24, 2011 21:48 as a reply to MikeFairbanks's post |  #12

I played around with a GF1 many years ago. Liked the compactness especially with the pancake lens.
Then attached a telephoto and the handling of the camera goes stupid. Bye bye compactness hello clumsy handling camera with an unbalanced lens out front.
I'd get one only with a fixed pancake lens. Anything larger, it loses all appeal.
Fuji X100 is sweet though.

Vancouver Portrait Photographerexternal link
No toys. Just tools.external link :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?!external link

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Panaca, NV
Aug 24, 2011 21:49 |  #13

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12994736external link
I'll take them a lot more seriously when they put in optical viewfinders. It's not that I hate Live View, just dislike it a lot. If someone else likes live view, that's cool, but I just don't like putting my camera at arm's length and trying to take a picture while the sun at my back glares off the screen, etc.

Give me an optical viewfinder and I'm very interested. Even a built in electric viewfinder is fine, but not an attachment.

That's just me.

Have the Oly VF-2 (on an E-P2) and love it. Anything that can be viewed on the LCD can also be displayed in the VF-2. Also, it hinges up if one has a need to view vertically. Yes, it is an attachment, but here the advantage is it carries over to the new E-P3. The Fuji Finepix X100 has a slick "hybrid" viewfinder, but not Micro 4/3 or interchangeable lens.

Jim

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Northern Cal
Aug 24, 2011 22:31 |  #14

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12994736external link
Note: The EP1 had no built in flash and no image stabilization.

Hmmm... That's strange because my E-P1 has image stablization.. 3 separate modes.

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Northern Cal
Aug 24, 2011 22:38 as a reply to rxjohn's post |  #15

I love my m4/3. It is smaller than SLR by far imo. Also, available lenses are much smaller... I do have 4 Olympus Pen F lenses from from the past generation...which are miniature lenses really.. and with an adapter, I'm getting some crazy sharp pictures.

I know 14-42 doesn't get much love but I think it's a fine lens. I do have 17mm coming.

Now.... will canon design and build micro 4/3 lenses with M4/3 mount or will they try to use EOS mount? Really....if you're wanting to use EF lenses, I say stick with DSLR since I doubt you'll gain and advantage in reducing the size of the camera.

The most attractive aspects of Oly EP1 for me is the size of the body and interchangeability of lenses that are smaller. Start mounting EOS and FD lenses and I think you'll lose that advantage.

sponsored links

9,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
micro 4 thirds camera...
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.