Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 18:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Well... Here's to hoping for no regrets!

Nomadik
26 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Vancouver Island, Canada
Aug 30, 2011 18:09 |  #1

I shoot with a 5D2, and have for a couple years now. I upgraded from a 40D, which at the time, I thought was great. Till I shot with the 5D2 and L glass.

Fast forward 2 years, and I bought the 7D to go with the 5D2, and... I hate it. The popup flash is annoying as hell, sometimes when I want to shoot creative in semi-auto, it pops up to screw things up. If the release button gets touched in the bag, it clicks and clicks as it tries to release the flash but can't. Add to that the crop sensor being more noisy than the FF. I've shot lower light conditions that give me horridly noisy images, where in the same circumstances, the 5D2 doesn't. And my array of FF lenses are wasted on the 7D, especially the 15mm fisheye.

I know everyone loves the 7D, but if I'm going to have a backup in the bag, I'd prefer a FF 5D2, even if it's used.

So, I sold the 7D, buyer picks it up tomorrow. Here's to hoping that I don't regret selling it. (Body only sold for $1350 CDN, + the battery grip, which I threw in for $100.

Anyone else have similar feelings towards the 7D?

sponsored links
Zolth
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 30, 2011 18:22 |  #2

Most people love the combo of 5D2 and 7D, but obviously it's not for everyone. Save a few bucks, find a 5DC, and spend the rest on some good glass.

guntoter
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Knoxville, Tn
Aug 30, 2011 19:08 |  #3

Sorry the 7D didn't live up to your needs.

Also, sounds like someone got a great deal on a used 7D.

EDIT: Never had a problem with my 40D or my 7D's pop-up flash. Of course in "M", "AV", or "TV" it never pops up unless you hit the button.

Joel
GEAR
Flickrexternal link

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Aug 30, 2011 19:13 |  #4

I never had the flash pop up in the bag, and I ran around with 40d and 7d quite a bit.

The noise is shocking, but then so is the loss of reach if you are after birds and you don't have a sofa-filling lens.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Aug 30, 2011 19:22 |  #5

Nomadik wrote in post #13026653external link
The popup flash is annoying as hell, sometimes when I want to shoot creative in semi-auto, it pops up to screw things up.

I have never had the problem with the pop-up flash but, I never shoot in other than manual, AV, TV or occasionally in the P mode. I have never ued the CA mode. The flash will not pop up in any of those modes unless I order it to. The only time I will pop up the flash is when I am using it to control other flashes wirelessly.

Additionally, I have never had the problem of the flash accidently popping up...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Silverstonev8
Joined Jun 2011
New Jersey
Aug 30, 2011 19:24 |  #6

Why not just disable the flash in the flash setup menu so that it wont pop up and fire when you don't want it to?
My flash won't pop up when the button is pressed unless the power is on. Was it in the bag on?

Chris -- Gear List

Nomadik
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Vancouver Island, Canada
Aug 30, 2011 19:41 |  #7

The flash issues I can deal with, honestly. (And I looked in the menu for a way to disable the popup flash, and couldn't find it. Are you sure it's even possible?)

The main thing for me is the noise. I dunno what it is about crop sensors, but when sorting 1200+ photos shot on 2 different cameras and all pooled in the same folder, I can tell which ones were shot on which camera, just on the noise levels in the image. And that's at the "default" size when loaded in Lightroom.

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Melbourne/Canberra
Aug 30, 2011 19:48 |  #8

isnt there only one stop of improvement over the 7D with the 5D2? If shooing stationary objects I guess 5d2 is ok, but the AF is awesome on the 7D.

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

Silverstonev8
Joined Jun 2011
New Jersey
Aug 30, 2011 19:52 |  #9

I see what you mean... The option to shut it off isnt available in some modes.
I also get what your saying about the noise but the camera does have some good qualities too...

Chris -- Gear List

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Aug 30, 2011 19:56 |  #10

EDIT: Never had a problem with my 40D or my 7D's pop-up flash. Of course in "M", "AV", or "TV" it never pops up unless you hit the button.

Yup! Never had an issue with my pop-up flash either.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

HyperCams
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Palm Bay Florida
Aug 30, 2011 19:59 |  #11

I dont understand...did you not find those same things you hated about the 7D on your 40D years ago?

I definitely agree about the high ISO low light shots..LOTS of NR needed in PP...but, it is manageable..
The AF system is worth the cost of the 7D itself...plus with the 1.6x crop, 18mp, and 8fps...it cant be touched for the $,imho.
As soon as I have the $, I will be selling the 40D and buying another 7D(to accompany my 5D2).

I found though that the 7D took a little while to 'get used to'...after I understood the AF and the noise limitations I loved it..it fit my needs perfectly..at the time.
does it compare to a 5D2? no..it is not supposed to..it cant.imho

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

dvdpfstr
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Aug 30, 2011 19:59 |  #12

Another one of these threads.

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Melbourne/Canberra
Aug 30, 2011 19:59 |  #13

are you suggesting that 7D's noise is worse than the 40D or 50D??

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Aug 30, 2011 20:02 |  #14

Time for you to buy 1D MARKIII or MKIV :p

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 30, 2011 20:07 as a reply to Ebwly's post |  #15

It is very big news for me what semi-automatic modes are somehow creative.
For me creative is in M, AV modes where I could control the camera in full mode.
I also don't understand the reason to keep camera turned on and keep it in the bag.
Turn it on as soon as you have bag open and by the time it is in front of you it will be on.
Agree with waste of ef UWA and regular zooms on 1.6 crop.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

2,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Well... Here's to hoping for no regrets!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.