FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 24 Jun 2011 (Friday) 08:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

hoblos
Joined Jun 2011
23 posts
liverpool, NSW, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

hi guys, i am a newbie and adore portaits.
i've been trying to take a shot in B&W where the details of the face or hands are really distinguished. i am using 50 1.8 prime on a 600 D.
any recommendations?

Post #1, Jun 24, 2011 08:41:59

Canon 5DII / 50mm 1.2 L / 70-200mm 2.8 II L / 24-105mm 4 L / Kenko DG tubes set / 580EX II / 430EX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Frugal
Joined May 2009
784 posts
Northern CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Shoot it normally and then use a software program to convert it to black and white and to apply the effect you are describing. There are many ways to convert to B&W which will give your images different appearances. You can find free programs on the web and some are quite good, but one that is very popular and under 100USD is Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Post #2, Jun 24, 2011 19:56:59

Richard
Gear

fraiseap
Joined Aug 2009
131 posts
Birmingham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

If you want to shoot good B&W portraits it is worth learning to see in B&W. Sounds strange, I know, but if you concentrate on light and shadow rather than color, with a bit of practice you can get an idea of how a shot will look in B&W. Remember that, unlike color, B&W relies on deep blacks and pure whites to get the best impact.

When I shoot for B&W I set up the lighting specifically for that purpose. Then you can tweak it in PP to get your vision translated into the picture.

One word of warning, avoid B&W conversions that use desaturation. Also the PS "convert to B&W" is not very flexible. There are tons of other methods available if you search.

Post #3, Jul 01, 2011 07:37:02 as a reply to Frugal's post 6 days earlier.

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​comexternal link

JAPE
Joined Mar 2011
284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I like and many agree that Nik's software silver efex pro is a good one.

Post #4, Aug 09, 2011 23:40:16

Gear List

-Canon 60D, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L

I am new to photography and am Eager to learn. So feel free Critique my photos :)
Flickrexternal link

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
3,702 posts
Georgetown, Ky
[MORE/SHARE]

fraiseap wrote in post #12687573external link
Also the PS "convert to B&W" is not very flexible.

That was true of CS2 and older versions, but beginning with CS3 the B&W adjustment layer is very flexible. Throw a Curve adjustment with it and you have many possible conversions.

Post #5, Aug 10, 2011 07:26:30

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D l Georgetown KY Photographerexternal link
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!
We'll be friends until we are old and senile. Then, we'll be new friends every day thereafter.

sponsored links
Aressem
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
3,773 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

JAPE wrote in post #12907997external link
I like and many agree that Nik's software silver efex pro is a good one.

Love this plug-in! +1

Post #6, Aug 12, 2011 13:32:54

Ryan Mackay WEBSITEexternal link | FACEBOOKexternal link | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4

kjonnnn
Joined Apr 2005
970 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

D Thompson wrote in post #12909313external link
That was true of CS2 and older versions, but beginning with CS3 the B&W adjustment layer is very flexible. Throw a Curve adjustment with it and you have many possible conversions.

Agree. In CS3 its great.

Post #7, Aug 12, 2011 13:39:47

theextremist04
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
1,217 posts
Kansas City
[MORE/SHARE]

In GIMP there's a plugin called National Geographic effect (off the GIMP plugin registry) that I love for that:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Post #8, Aug 15, 2011 20:08:19

-Michael
Gear - Flickrexternal link - Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link

ashiundar
Joined Jun 2011
411 posts
Mesa, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

If you own Photoshop, the Black and White adjustment layer is your key to unlocking amazing black and white images. It's true that it used to suck, but I believe starting in CS3 they really improved it and made it much more powerful. I recommend watching a tutorial on how to effectively use this tool to make effective conversions. If you have access to lynda.com (it's a paid subscription, but universities sometimes pay for the subscription for their students), there is an excellent tutorial by Ben Long on everything there is to black and white, from seeing to shooting to processing and outputting. I strongly recommend the video.

Post #9, Aug 26, 2011 01:51:05

ashwinsundar.comexternal link
5dc || 17-40L || Marumi CPL

kjonnnn
Joined Apr 2005
970 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=i33SnI2RwP4external link

Post #10, Aug 27, 2011 14:35:19

king ­ grant
Joined Dec 2010
107 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Two suggestions...

Look through your menu settings...while shooting in raw most slr(S) have an option to review in b&w. Capturing in raw gathers the color information but the review on the back of your camera will show you the monochrome image. This will help you see what your going to eventually end up with in post process and you will see first hand what the image your eye sees will look like if your color blind.

Also expose to the right. By this I mean looking at the histogram and getting the majority of the information to the right of the histogram. this gives you more freedom when adjusting exposure because it's less damaging to remove light then add it. (there is someone on here that wrote a great post on this method including setting a clever way of good exposure using your hand.) oh wait...there it is, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=89123

Post #11, Aug 29, 2011 12:21:02

"A great photographer can take great shots with an Iphone but a mediocre photographer can ruin a shot with a 1dsmkIV. My camera is like the brush I paint a house with...I'm just looking for my detail brush, and a roller, and some high gloss paint, and a sprayer, yeah a sprayer would make things easier."

sponsored links
hoblos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
23 posts
liverpool, NSW, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

wow thanks guys, it's really helpfull.
i am not a photoshop expert, but i am learning now and i am getting the result i am looking for.
also as king grant said, exposing tpo the right is a great technique i am following now.

Post #12, Sep 02, 2011 06:55:53

Canon 5DII / 50mm 1.2 L / 70-200mm 2.8 II L / 24-105mm 4 L / Kenko DG tubes set / 580EX II / 430EX

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you want to shoot good B&W portraits it is worth learning to see in B&W. Sounds strange, I know, but if you concentrate on light and shadow rather than color, with a bit of practice you can get an idea of how a shot will look in B&W. Remember that, unlike color, B&W relies on deep blacks and pure whites to get the best impact.

When I shoot for B&W I set up the lighting specifically for that purpose. Then you can tweak it in PP to get your vision translated into the picture.

This is gospel. BW depends totally on light and shadow, and if you don't create the image with smart attention to how the light creates the image, it doesn't matter much what plugin you use.

Post #13, Sep 03, 2011 17:09:05

ThatTeenPhotographer
Joined Aug 2011
290 posts
Austin, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Any recommendations on use of channel mixing (RGB) in Black and White portraits, should I keep more of certain ones, get rid of others, what relationships ect?

Post #14, Sep 07, 2011 09:17:31

Facebookexternal link|flickrexternal link|Websiteexternal link
Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
help with B&W portraits
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES