Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 19 May 2002 (Sunday) 01:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

White Lotus

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
May 19, 2002 01:11 |  #1

Tired of infrared shots? Well, you should have told me. There's always the slim possibility I would stop -- but not before posting this one, which is notable for being handheld at 1/20th of a second while I'm stretched out over the pond shooting down.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon G1, Hoya IR filter, f2.0, in Bali.

Cheers,

Don

sponsored links
Leighow
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Jan 2002
May 19, 2002 22:11 |  #2

DON

Well .. you could have fooled me...when I opened the post it looked pure wedding white .. like heaven .. or an MC's white tux! THis is simply a gorgeous shot. Say not more!

HOWIE( Ottawa, Canada)

Lance
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2002
May 20, 2002 05:51 |  #3

what a great shot, it looks almost man made and synthetic, infrared is always welcomed, especially with examples like this!

Good stuff
Lance

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
May 20, 2002 20:38 |  #4

GREAT!

oops
340 posts
Joined Jun 2001
May 20, 2002 21:24 |  #5

I will never tire of your IR shots! I havn't seen two alike even though IR is IR the way I take them. You have set some new standards for me.

IR or not, I know your posts will be top notch. This one is no exception. IR seems to prevent the brain from being distracted by color so we tend to focus on texture and subject to a much greater degree.

This being said, my brain actually tried to fill in the colors for me! Interesting.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
May 21, 2002 03:44 |  #6

Thanks for taking the time to write, guys -- and especially for describing your reactions (well, except for you, Griffin, but capitals count for a lot). :)

Like you, I take a lot of pictures and, also probably like you, I go through them and think, "Yeah, ok, hmmm, not bad, dreck, keeper." But I must admit that the lotus popped off the screen. Even after converting from RAW, you don't really know how dramatic a shot will look until you auto-level or set the black and white points. Some shots just sit there, saying, "Why did you bother?" while others just leap out at you. For me, this was a leaper.

Because of the sun or or foliage or custom white balance or something in the Bali air, I'm getting a lot of light green complementing the whites. I like the look, so I've left it. When I convert to grayscale, most of the shots drop back into the humdrum category.

Here's a young lotus that will blossom in another day or two (nothing spectacular; just something for comparison)...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Cheers,

Don

gandini
POTN's April Fool!
680 posts
Joined Apr 2001
May 21, 2002 10:35 |  #7

Wonders will never cease with Don around! As I keep saying, and Don keeps providing me with great examples to bolster my case, the G1 (for IR) and G2 (for color) in the hands of a talented photographer are easily the match of much more powerful and expensive cameras. This particular photo of the young lotus shows the subject in wonderfully crisp focus with very blurred background (and no evidence that it was done in Photoshop!)--something that many people say is not possible with the great DoF of the point and shoot cameras like G1/2.

Mind you, lest you all think I am blinded by the powers of these little cameras, I was at the duck pond yesterday with my 2 girls (1 and 7 years) and gee, I'd really like a camera that focussed just a little faster -- like in this century, perhaps!

cheers to all,

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
May 21, 2002 22:20 |  #8

Hi Philip,

Guaranteed...no Photoshop depth-of-field manipulation.

Occasionally I'll clone or mask bits out, but I've never resorted to DOF changes -- perhaps because I've never seen one done in Photoshop that couldn't be spotted a mile away by looking at the seam between the foreground and background.

I also can't be bothered to do that much work on a photo. With very rare exceptions (none in my experience), I believe that if you don't get it right in the field, you go back and do it again. And if it can't be done again, throw it away -- there's still a world of other pictures waiting to be taken.

Cheers,

Don

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
May 23, 2002 08:39 |  #9

Don, wouldn't it be better if the exposure of the 2nd one would be down a little so the viens on the pedals could be more pronounced? A striking photo anyway. Okay, I would hold on with my capitals. :)

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
May 27, 2002 00:16 |  #10

Hi Griffin,

You may be right...but we'll never know. The sun was on the bud and I was in a hurry and there wasn't as much detail as you might imagine in the young flower. I didn't really take it to be a masterpiece. I took it as an afterthought just to show another stage in the flower's development. Thanks for your comments, though; they're always welcome.

As for your capitals, if the word is GREAT, capitals are always welcome. It's AWFUL that we prefer in lowercase. :)

Don

Roger_Cavanagh
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Sep 2001
May 29, 2002 09:39 |  #11

Don,

This is a really beautiful image.

Thank you,

=============
Roger Cavanagh
www.rogercavanagh.comexternal link

sponsored links

2,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
White Lotus
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.