Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
Land of Short Skirts and Anime Fantasies
[MORE/SHARE]

Rob, Kenji has been talking about the 7D's issue for a while now that's why I said those things :lol: he actually has some very nice macro shots when he is not complaining about his gear :lol:

Post #3286, Sep 19, 2011 17:54:01

www.monk3y.comexternal link | My GEAR

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13129354external link
Rob, Kenji has been talking about the 7D's issue for a while now that's why I said those things :lol: he actually has some very nice macro shots when he is not complaining about his gear :lol:

Ahh. I see. okie dokie. :cool:

I could tell you guys some scary D300 stories from a few years ago.. loll

Post #3287, Sep 19, 2011 17:54:43

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

eye2i
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
1,665 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13129271external link
But appreciating your camera's capabilities is more fun than criticizing its flaws... So I usually just shut up and use it more hehe after all We all know everything is a compromise :)

I have been pretty happy with my gear... I haven't even tried doing Micro adjust on any of my lenses... Basically coz I don't know how that's maybe why I don't have any focus/sharpness issues too hehe :lol:

I am doing this as a hobby though unlike some of you... So I try to enjoy it as much as I can with the gear I have :D

Great post. Go Pinoy! ;)

Im leaving Nikon for now *sighs* I'm going to miss my D700 but damn Nikon's prime glasses are hella expensive. For example, Canon's 35L can be had for $1200, Nikon's 35 1.4G is right around $1500-$1700. 135L can be had for as low as $800+, Nikons 135 DC's lowest price is at $1100, Nikon 24 1.4 is near $2000, Canon's 24L II is priced at $1400.00 Nikon makes the best bodies IMO but damn their glass is just too much for some hobbyists like me and Monk3y.

Post #3288, Sep 19, 2011 17:56:12

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,515 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13129354external link

At least it's not just me who complained about the 7D!

Post #3289, Sep 19, 2011 18:03:06

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #13129397external link

Not just you, Tim.

I thought the 7D was ok but not what I expected or wanted and based on all the hype I found it to be a disappointment.

Post #3290, Sep 19, 2011 18:04:13

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

TMR Design wrote in post #13129358external link

Haha no thanks... The less i knkw the better :lol:

eye2i wrote in post #13129363external link
Great post. Go Pinoy! ;)

Im leaving Nikon for now *sighs* I'm going to miss my D700 but damn Nikon's prime glasses are hella expensive. For example, Canon's 35L can be had for $1200, Nikon's 35 1.4G is right around $1500-$1700. 135L can be had for as low as $800+, Nikons 135 DC's lowest price is at $1100, Nikon 24 1.4 is near $2000, Canon's 24L II is priced at $1400.00 Nikon makes the best bodies IMO but damn their glass is just too much for some hobbyists like me and Monk3y.

Haha thanks

Wow I did not look at it like that from the usual trio workhorse zoom lens it looks pretty even but when it comes to primes it looks like Canon is indeed cheaper

tim wrote in post #13129397external link

It looks like the 7D is a no middle ground camera... Either you love it or you hate it :lol:

Post #3291, Sep 19, 2011 18:10:39

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
2,331 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one with Nikons opinion. Canon has more options for glass at more price points. 70-200 f/4 for $500 or $1000 with IS vs nada for Nikon. Well I guess you can go with an 80-200 for Nikon. I'm not impressed with any of the Canon bodies except for the 5DMII.

Post #3292, Sep 19, 2011 18:22:02

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Google+external link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13129438external link
It looks like the 7D is a no middle ground camera... Either you love it or you hate it :lol:

True. Before I bought one I asked a few people I knew that were shooting with it and getting absolutely beautiful results. I got great feedback.

When I got the camera I was excited because it had the new camera feel and smell and by the second day I started to realize that I wasn't liking it. I do two shoots with it and while the images were ok I wasn't excited about performance and I quickly saw that I was having the low ISO noise issue.

Post #3293, Sep 19, 2011 18:30:49

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

TMR Design wrote in post #13129358external link

As you said, recognize the cameras flaws and work around them, For me, it just means i have to use more live view (Which chews up one of my two batteries very quickly) or "guess" sometimes... I've never been too upset with the IQ on my 7D though, i dont have the low ISO noise problem i guess...and at high ISOs i consider it "Clean enough" ;) IE heres a 1600 shot i did...and i frequently work at 1600 with the camera without any complaints (And hell, 3200, But i dont like using 6400)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6069/6157600404_38621537a9_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...unetsukiphoto/61576​00404/]external link
Finished Highballexternal link by Kenjis9965external link, on Flickr

monk3y wrote in post #13129438external link

The 7D is a VERY focused tool, It has its uses, but if you step outside of those specific uses you do find the 7D is "out of its element"

The 7D is really made for wildlife and sports, Its not a landscape camera, it does not shine for landscapes and architechture and that...

Razeus wrote in post #13129501external link
I'm glad I'm not the only one with Nikons opinion. Canon has more options for glass at more price points. 70-200 f/4 for $500 or $1000 with IS vs nada for Nikon. Well I guess you can go with an 80-200 for Nikon. I'm not impressed with any of the Canon bodies except for the 5DMII.

Personally id rather have one of the older Nikon 80-200s, Which you can find with a little searching for around $500...but i do see your point i guess

TMR Design wrote in post #13129555external link
True. Before I bought one I asked a few people I knew that were shooting with it and getting absolutely beautiful results. I got great feedback.

When I got the camera I was excited because it had the new camera feel and smell and by the second day I started to realize that I wasn't liking it. I do two shoots with it and while the images were ok I wasn't excited about performance and I quickly saw that I was having the low ISO noise issue.

Indeed, I started to really notice the flaws with it a bit later at least after i had a lot of time shooting it and such...I am not sure there is a better camera for me out there right now however...So I'm staying put until i feel there is...

The D7000 has the IQ and everything, but the build i am unsure on, and the D300s has the build i want but i do not think i want to give up the IQ....

The closest camera to what i really want is the A77, But I am not going with a Sony system, However, the A77 is likely a good indication of what Nikon is cooking up for a D300s replacement ;)

Post #3294, Sep 19, 2011 18:43:12

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 5D Mark III, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Deviantartexternal link
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)external link

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
7,296 posts
Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #13129312external link
Did you receive your D7000 MKIII already? :lol:

lol...It's supposed to come tomorrow.

Post #3295, Sep 19, 2011 18:59:42

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
7,296 posts
Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm an ex-7D owner as well. Couple that with the 24-70L and I couldn't wait to make the switch to Nikon. :lol:

Post #3296, Sep 19, 2011 19:02:50

sponsored links
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
7,296 posts
Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

KenjiS wrote in post #13129611external link
The closest camera to what i really want is the A77, But I am not going with a Sony system, However, the A77 is likely a good indication of what Nikon is cooking up for a D300s replacement ;)

That's a lot of pixels for a small sensor. I need to be able to see and edit the raw files for myself. Even the D3x at 24MP is only designed to go up to ISO 1600. What happens when you cut the sensor in half? Hopefully the tech has overcome some of the physics problems involved.

Ahhhh...triple post....my bad. :o

Post #3297, Sep 19, 2011 19:06:08

monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah and I bet people who loves it are saying you guys who don't love it probably don't know how to use the camera properly :lol:

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13129687external link
lol...It's supposed to come tomorrow.

nice... :D

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13129705external link
I'm an ex-7D owner as well. Couple that with the 24-70L and I couldn't wait to make the switch to Nikon. :lol:

glad I did not buy the 7D then :lol: when I switched I was looking at the 7D, 5DMKII(too expensive) and D700. and the price difference between the 7D and D700 back then was like $200-$300 here where I am :lol: now the difference is almost $1000

Post #3298, Sep 19, 2011 19:21:30

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,515 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Low ISO noise issues looking at images at 100% in photoshop, or on a 8x12" print? Most of the time it's pixel peepers that had problems.

I found the image quality fine from ISO100 - ISO20K, when judged by prints. This is assuming the shot in question was in focus...

Post #3299, Sep 19, 2011 19:31:20

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I saw it on screen. I'm sure it wouldn't reveal itself in print but I can't fall back on that. These days many clients are viewing on screen and never going to print.

I'm only a pixel peeper when I see a problem so it has nothing to do with sitting at the computer and viewing at 100% for the sake of pixel peeping, but I do retouch at 100% and when it stares you in the face and gets in the way of retouching then it's an issue.

We can make excuses or label each other pixel peepers but the reality is that my Nikon D700 doesn't have noise issues under the same conditions, and the 7D was hideous by comparison. I didn't need to pixel peep to see that and once I was at 100% it was disturbing to look at.

Poor transitions and noise make for a murky image and poor microcontrast. If it's fine for some, that's cool. Not for me, thanks.

Post #3300, Sep 19, 2011 19:36:01 as a reply to tim's post 4 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
376,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES