Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Aug 2004 (Wednesday) 19:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Building a G-Series Infrared Camera

EOSFelix
Joined Jun 2010
Rome, Italy
Jul 19, 2011 01:37 |  #91

submannz wrote in post #12780505external link
Hi Felix,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The G6 conversion is very easy, more easy than the guide on converting the g3. I was lazy in getting the correct thickness glass to replace the ir block filter, and used two pieces of microscope slide stacked on top of each other, which gave perfect auto focus so I didn't change it. If you have any more specific questions please feel free to ask and i will reply to you straight away.

Thanks submannz for your response.
I've modified succesfully my second hand G6 a couple of month ago!
Very cool images indeed...but I've some AF problems. In macro mode the AF works properly, but when I use the G6 in the normal situation I don't receive the AF beep confirmation, so I often have out of focus images.
Any suggestion for this issue? I have the IR filtrer directly on the sensor, could the problem depends on the IR filter tickness?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Bye,
Felix.

My name is Felice, but you can call me Felix...
CanonEOS5DIII | CanonEOS40D | CanonEOS7D | FujiFilm X-E1 | Tam17.50 | Sigma120-400 | EF17.40 4L | EF70.200 2.8L II | EF85 1.8 | 430EXII | LoweProComputrekkerAW | LoweProClassifiedAW160 | NG2140 | TamracVelocity9 |
http://www.fmphotospor​t.comexternal link

submannz
116 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Jul 19, 2011 04:13 |  #92

Hey Felix,

Yes if the thickness is not enough above the sensor it will only focus in the macro ranges automatically, with one microscope slide I had the same problem you mention here.

I have external IR filters to give me more options of the style of Infrared I can use based on the filter types. I typically used 720,760 and 850 filters.

I am certain if you buy a microscope slide and cut a piece off this and place this on top of your inplace IR filter I am sure this will fix your autofocus issue to focus 90% of the time, just one thing to note is the air between the filters may cause some banding in your photo's, I had this problem only after I cleaned all glass with iso alcohol.

I am about to convert a Powershot Pro1 in the next few weeks, it should give me better shots with wider angle.

Regards

Dan

EOSFelix
Joined Jun 2010
Rome, Italy
Jul 19, 2011 04:15 |  #93

Thanks again Dan for the precious info you gave me!

My name is Felice, but you can call me Felix...
CanonEOS5DIII | CanonEOS40D | CanonEOS7D | FujiFilm X-E1 | Tam17.50 | Sigma120-400 | EF17.40 4L | EF70.200 2.8L II | EF85 1.8 | 430EXII | LoweProComputrekkerAW | LoweProClassifiedAW160 | NG2140 | TamracVelocity9 |
http://www.fmphotospor​t.comexternal link

submannz
116 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Jul 19, 2011 05:06 |  #94

Your welcome Felix, let me know how you get on if you try it.

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Asheville, North Carolina
Sep 22, 2011 22:58 as a reply to submannz's post |  #95

Here is a test shot with an unconverted G12, plus Hoya R72 filter. I set a custom white balance from a sheet of printer paper, in full sunlight with the filter on the lens.

I am going to do some more experimenting when I get the time, but for now the G12 seems to be a quite capable IR camera even unconverted. For those who want to know ISO was 200, mode AV=F4, shutter speed was about 1.6 seconds late afternoon. The camera is IR sensitive enough for the autofocus, and exposure metering to work just fine. Oh yes there was some exposure compensation used, so the red channel would not be over exposed -1EV.

By the way F4 was chosen because it is the sweet spot for the G12 lens, for the best combination of resolution and depth of field.

IMAGE: http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/steve40/IR_Test_W.jpg

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.comexternal link
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

135,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building a G-Series Infrared Camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.