Thread started 22 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 00:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,869 posts
WPB, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Im looking for a rolling case that can hold my 2 Monolights, Vagabond Mini, lightstands and umbrellas.
So far I like the following, but I am wondering if anyone else has any suggestions.

1. http://www.calumetphot​o.com ...stem_lighting_case/​rm2301external link

2. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...spac_Single_Kit_Cas​e.htmlexternal link

3. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...9_AK3419W_Wheel_Cas​e.htmlexternal link

Post #1, Sep 22, 2011 00:59:15

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Websiteexternal link | Wedding Siteexternal link |
| Flickr external link | Gear | 500px external link | Tumblrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
bpalermini
Joined Mar 2011
653 posts
Los Angeles, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I used #2 at a place that I worked. It was a nice case and it held a lot of stuff securely.

Post #2, Sep 22, 2011 10:09:08

Bob Palermini
1DX, 1DIV, 50D, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xII, 2xII, 580EXII, YN565EX, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LR5, Fuji X30
My Web Siteexternal link | My Sports Portfolioexternal link

chimpychomps
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2007
10 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used #1 for a few months now and it's starting to get a bit worn.

Here's what I mailed to someone who PM'd me about the case after a few months of use:

"A few tears on the outside fabric from being shoved into cars and tight spaces - the outer material isn't as robust as it could be. There are a few scuffs too.The inner material is a bit saggy so when you rip out the compartments it is very easy to tear the inner fabric if you are rough with ripping the dividers out. The zip on the inner side of the lid failed twice - but it seems a common thing as it has happened to another Caulmet bag that I have used (then sold).

The wheels are holding up - but I have not rolled the case on gravel or any surface that may accelerate deterioration. I normally strap the whole case onto a handcart for longer rolling distances.

It's a cheaper alternative to others out on the market - but useable. I have also added additional soft dividers (from other bags) into my system to make smaller comparments for things like Pocket Wizards and Speedlites and smaller items. I think I have a heavier set up than it might be designed for - I put a Ranger Generator in it. I'm also rough with my bags but with a little care it could provide years of use.

Hope it helps."

Post #3, Sep 22, 2011 10:40:24

riotseeds
Joined Jul 2010
35 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Its much more expensive but I've been using this one and I love it. Built like a tank.
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com ...manager-rolling-case.aspxexternal link

Post #4, Sep 22, 2011 13:34:12

KurtGoss
Joined Sep 2010
453 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

riotseeds wrote in post #13146018external link
Built like a tank.[/URL]

as in Think Tank!

I love Think Tank bags and most of their products, but $500 for this bag is way overpriced. You can get the really big Pelican cases for less than $500, and the outer shell is much more solid on the Pelican cases. Waterproof too.

I like to keep my heavy stands and all lighting gear not in the same bag as camera gear. And I don't even want my Alien Bees in the same bag as stands. I have Manfrotto and Avenger and Mathews stands, adapters, boom poles, drop down pins, etc... they are heavy. I need two bags just for that heavy stuff. And then I put one bag for monolights and modifiers and vagabonds.

I end up with 4 bags if I need to bring a full set:
2 bags of stands
1 bag of monolights/modifiers
1 Pelican case of camera gear

I also have a beauty dish that has it's own box, doesn't fit in any of the bags with other gear. So it is almost like a 5th bag. I can't imagine having to get on airplane with all this gear. The extra luggage cost to fly this gear would be more than a rental fee. I would just rent all lighting if I had to fly to a location, and just bring my camera and lenses in my airplane carry-on Pelican.

FYI: B&H has a large in store section of used bags and cases. You have to go in person to purchase though, and also the inventory changes daily. But they always have a large amount of LARGE size Pelican cases and other hard shell cases on wheels. If you know the model number of the case you want, you can call on the phone and they can look it up to see if they have used ones in inventory - but as I mentioned, they go fast, so sometimes they come in and never make it onto the inventory list. And they are about 50% off new prices. They are worn, but they are fine - work 100%. Great way to save on bags and cases. Many production companies come to B&H and liquidate all their gear all the time. Lots of trade in and used gear.

Post #5, Sep 22, 2011 17:51:30

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

The key to this sort of rolling container for me is the size light stand it will hold.
The Calumet, which I have, will hold a 10 ft stand, about 5 Einsteins and assorted cables, etc.

if you want it to hold larger light stands then the overall length of the case becomes the critical dimension.

Calumet also has a smaller, 2 light case that will hold a 10 ft stand.

Post #6, Sep 22, 2011 22:59:33

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,869 posts
WPB, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks

chimpychomps wrote in post #13145133external link
I've used #1 for a few months now and it's starting to get a bit worn.

Here's what I mailed to someone who PM'd me about the case after a few months of use:

"A few tears on the outside fabric from being shoved into cars and tight spaces - the outer material isn't as robust as it could be. There are a few scuffs too.The inner material is a bit saggy so when you rip out the compartments it is very easy to tear the inner fabric if you are rough with ripping the dividers out. The zip on the inner side of the lid failed twice - but it seems a common thing as it has happened to another Caulmet bag that I have used (then sold).

The wheels are holding up - but I have not rolled the case on gravel or any surface that may accelerate deterioration. I normally strap the whole case onto a handcart for longer rolling distances.

It's a cheaper alternative to others out on the market - but useable. I have also added additional soft dividers (from other bags) into my system to make smaller comparments for things like Pocket Wizards and Speedlites and smaller items. I think I have a heavier set up than it might be designed for - I put a Ranger Generator in it. I'm also rough with my bags but with a little care it could provide years of use.

Hope it helps."

I love ThinkTank Products, but that one is a little too expensive for me.

riotseeds wrote in post #13146018external link
Its much more expensive but I've been using this one and I love it. Built like a tank.
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com ...manager-rolling-case.aspxexternal link

KurtGoss wrote in post #13147176external link
as in Think Tank!

I love Think Tank bags and most of their products, but $500 for this bag is way overpriced. You can get the really big Pelican cases for less than $500, and the outer shell is much more solid on the Pelican cases. Waterproof too.

I like to keep my heavy stands and all lighting gear not in the same bag as camera gear. And I don't even want my Alien Bees in the same bag as stands. I have Manfrotto and Avenger and Mathews stands, adapters, boom poles, drop down pins, etc... they are heavy. I need two bags just for that heavy stuff. And then I put one bag for monolights and modifiers and vagabonds.

I end up with 4 bags if I need to bring a full set:
2 bags of stands
1 bag of monolights/modifiers
1 Pelican case of camera gear

I also have a beauty dish that has it's own box, doesn't fit in any of the bags with other gear. So it is almost like a 5th bag. I can't imagine having to get on airplane with all this gear. The extra luggage cost to fly this gear would be more than a rental fee. I would just rent all lighting if I had to fly to a location, and just bring my camera and lenses in my airplane carry-on Pelican.

FYI: B&H has a large in store section of used bags and cases. You have to go in person to purchase though, and also the inventory changes daily. But they always have a large amount of LARGE size Pelican cases and other hard shell cases on wheels. If you know the model number of the case you want, you can call on the phone and they can look it up to see if they have used ones in inventory - but as I mentioned, they go fast, so sometimes they come in and never make it onto the inventory list. And they are about 50% off new prices. They are worn, but they are fine - work 100%. Great way to save on bags and cases. Many production companies come to B&H and liquidate all their gear all the time. Lots of trade in and used gear.

Right now I own only 2 monolights and I use medium sized calumet light stands which close to about 3'. I wish I was in NYC right now so that I could just go to the city and see the cases in person.

dmward wrote in post #13148838external link
The key to this sort of rolling container for me is the size light stand it will hold.
The Calumet, which I have, will hold a 10 ft stand, about 5 Einsteins and assorted cables, etc.

if you want it to hold larger light stands then the overall length of the case becomes the critical dimension.

Calumet also has a smaller, 2 light case that will hold a 10 ft stand.

Post #7, Sep 22, 2011 23:57:33

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Websiteexternal link | Wedding Siteexternal link |
| Flickr external link | Gear | 500px external link | Tumblrexternal link

rang
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,623 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

KurtGoss wrote in post #13147176external link
as in Think Tank!

Ah...two trips in my bucket list:

1) 1st pilgrimage trip...REI flagship store in Seattle, WA
2) 2nd pilgrimage trip...B&H store in NYC.

Difficult to face two completely opposed directions in the evening and pray.

:lol:

Post #8, Sep 23, 2011 15:33:43

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

110yd
Joined Jan 2005
592 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You might take a look at Kata lighting cases. I recently attended a Scott Kelby seminar and asked a question about the cases that they ship the gear in...I was told that they use Kata lighting case model OC-97. I have not done my home work, but I intend to spend some time sorting out if it passes a common sense test.

Regards,

110yd

Post #9, Sep 23, 2011 20:36:54

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Transpac Single Case, love it, and use it constantly. It has great protection, wheels, lightweight, and sized for airline travel without oversized/overweight charges. It will hold everything you need but check the closed length of your light stands.

-Scott

Post #10, Sep 23, 2011 20:44:38

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Moonjo
Joined Jun 2007
401 posts
Rocky Mountains
[MORE/SHARE]

110yd wrote in post #13153410external link
You might take a look at Kata lighting cases. I recently attended a Scott Kelby seminar and asked a question about the cases that they ship the gear in...I was told that they use Kata lighting case model OC-97. I have not done my home work, but I intend to spend some time sorting out if it passes a common sense test.

Regards,

110yd

$574.99 B&H. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...OC_97_Organizer_Cas​e.htmlexternal link

Post #11, Sep 23, 2011 21:53:00

5DMKII BG-E6 | 40D BG-E2 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85mm f/1.2L II | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 | 580EX II | 2 x Sigma 500 DG Super.... and other lighting stuff
JLeePhotographyexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
111t
Joined Apr 2009
577 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

#1 Is a piece of crap. It seems nice at first but the framework is just courrogated plastic. It breaks and the handle pulls off. Good luck rolling it then.

Post #12, Sep 24, 2011 21:35:02

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

lostinwv
Joined Dec 2010
115 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm planning on getting either the Calumet or Photoflex case. I intend to pack it with 3 Einsteins, 2 Vagabond minis, cords, and - if I can fit it, a PCB large softbox (umbrella style) or just a couple of regular umbrellas. Probably no light stands, as I use C-stands that won't fit either of these cases.

To look at the pictures, the Calumet offering looks nicer and seems like it would provide better support for my monolights and power packs. Unfortunately, some of the negative comments like in the post above are off-putting.

The Photoflex Transpac looks great, but I wonder if it would provide support for vertical stacking of 3 Einsteins and two Vagabond minis.

Decisions, decisions.

Dave

Post #13, Sep 25, 2011 14:37:57 as a reply to 111t's post 17 hours earlier.

Enzyme
Joined Jan 2011
45 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on using a ice hockey goalie bag for my lighting kit. These bags are huge. One that I'm looking at is 44" by 21" by 21" for $60. http://www.ebay.com ...ain_0&hash=item1c1e​e8ca68external link By comparison, the Calumet bag is 34" by 15" by 8" for $180.

Of course, the goalie bag doesn't have padded dividers. I'm planning to build some basic ones myself. I think I'll be able fit four light stands, background supports, four Einsteins, PLMs and bits and pieces into the one bag. That is the plan anyway.

There are other bigger goalie bags around, but I'm not sure they have wheels. I haven't done too much looking yet.

Post #14, Sep 25, 2011 16:38:55

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

lostinwv wrote in post #13160781external link
I'm planning on getting either the Calumet or Photoflex case. I intend to pack it with 3 Einsteins, 2 Vagabond minis, cords, and - if I can fit it, a PCB large softbox (umbrella style) or just a couple of regular umbrellas. Probably no light stands, as I use C-stands that won't fit either of these cases.

To look at the pictures, the Calumet offering looks nicer and seems like it would provide better support for my monolights and power packs. Unfortunately, some of the negative comments like in the post above are off-putting.

The Photoflex Transpac looks great, but I wonder if it would provide support for vertical stacking of 3 Einsteins and two Vagabond minis.

Decisions, decisions.

Dave

It will provide support for your lights and Vminis with room to spare, plus space for travel stands and umbrellas. The lights fit vertically with the reflectors on and the storage space is 10in deep by 34in wide. The AB foldable softbox is bulky and will not fit, but my Softlighter II fits great.

-Scott

Post #15, Sep 25, 2011 22:16:19

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
looking for a Rolling Case for Lighting Gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES