Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of October 2011 (Wed)   #1
wendyandrob

Default Background and Macro

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I am no photographer but have purchased an olympus Optical zoom camera with enhanced macro to take pictures for my website which consists of very small objects. I can get the picture perfect and detailed but it changes the background colour depending on what colour the object is.
So I have the background set up as a pale blue if the object is white it seems to adjust the background darker, and lightens it for black. Is this down to a setting on the camera?
I want the background all the same.
Have tried in natural light and with a Light box same results. i am sure you guys will tell me its something silly?

Thanks in Advance
wendyandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of October 2011 (Wed)   #2
dubstylz

Default Re: Background and Macro

Hi, im not too sure about this and im sure someone will give a nicely detailed answer but im wondering if its something to do with white ballance, try setting a manual or custom white ballance, im thinking this might stop the colour shift.
Old 12th of October 2011 (Wed)   #3
wendyandrob

Thanks for your help , have tried all the wb settings and it seems to adjust the background on all of them, so very odd. Perhaps I need to take up flower arranging
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of October 2011 (Wed)   #4
N.V.M.

posting examples would help a lot.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #5
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006

Suspect this may just be down to exposure levels. Cameras expect a picture to average out as an 18% greyscale with macro you often get very large areas of either subject or background or both that are either brighter or darker than 18% greyscale. In these circumstances the camera will underexpose a bright one and overexpose a dark one. So when you are taking the pics the easiest thing to do is to adjust the exposure compensation (EC) assuming your camera has this function. You raise the EC with bright pictures and lower the EC with dark ones.
If you can find EC on your camera, set up one of your pale subjects/backgrounds as in the first example and try adding from + .66 to +1.33 EC or the reverse with a dark background eg -.66EC
Brian v.
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #6
wendyandrob

Cant figure out how to get examples up it asks for a URL. (I am blond!)
I am going to mess with exposures and see if that makes a difference, your all so helpful
Old 13th of October 2011 (Thu)   #7
AtomHeart

I think if you're photographing in a controlled environment with the same lighting each time, the best method is to find the correct exposure for that setting, then set the camera to manual with those same shutter and f-stop values. Then you can change your background and subjects to your hearts content. If it is not a controlled environment and you need the camera to determine exposure for you each time, then get a good feel for setting the right amount of exposure compensation. Remember it's counter-intuitive. You want brighter for white objects, and darker for black ones.

"The feeling -- that's the point." -moltengold

Last edited by AtomHeart : 13th of October 2011 (Thu) at 09:53.
AtomHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2011 (Fri)   #8
Lester Wareham

Are you using auto white balance?, that can cause that sort of effect. Try setting the white balance to daylight or flash as appropriate if so.
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Lester Wareham is offline   Reply With Quote