Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 03 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 19:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Miller Cabin Fall freely give C&C

ChristopherJ1968
398 posts
Joined Mar 2008
New Carrollton, MD
Nov 03, 2011 19:37 |  #1

I can't get any better without some good old fashioned C&C

IMAGE: http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp210/papa1968/RCPFall2032.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 5D MarkII , lens (Canon EF 17-40mm F4/L USM) 32GB memory card
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=uQ6DqhPuPpQexternal link (proper lens and camera settings) by Bryan Peterson

sponsored links
dinvab
Joined Dec 2009
Nov 03, 2011 19:40 |  #2

Awesome pic.

Canon 5DS |Canon 7D|Canon 400mm f/5.6 L EF (USM) LENS | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS EF II USM| Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM LENS |Canon MK iii 2x extender |18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.4 | CS5 | onone software | Canon EOS Rebel T1i

ChristopherJ1968
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Mar 2008
New Carrollton, MD
Nov 03, 2011 19:40 |  #3

The story behind this shot: I was walking through Rock Creek National Park and just happened upon the cabin, nothing new. I've been past it many times in the past and saw the fall colors and kinda did a what they heck.. kind of thing in my mind. as it turned out, this shot has gotten some decent view time across various sites.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=uQ6DqhPuPpQexternal link (proper lens and camera settings) by Bryan Peterson

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,123 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 03, 2011 20:17 as a reply to ChristopherJ1968's post |  #4

It's probably more a matter of personal taste but to me, the image has too much yellow in it and could stand some white balance adjustment. By doing that, you'll bring out the grays in the wood and the green moss on the roof.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
One Mile Beach, NSW 2316, Australia
Nov 03, 2011 20:46 |  #5

I agree with 'navydoc". The white balance seems to be slightly off with too much green. A bit of experimenting with the sliders in RAW (I hope you shot RAW) might make it look more natural.
For the composition: the cabin is pretty central in the shot with a lot of uninteresting space in the foreground. A tighter crop of the top left two/thirds of the shot might give a more pleasing effect (You haven't IMAGE EDITING OK turned on, otherwise I could have shown you what I mean).

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Hawk's ­ Feather
Joined Dec 2008
Northwest Ohio
Nov 03, 2011 21:03 |  #6

Like the prior two, it might be interesting to see what some adjustments could do. It might help and then again it might not. I did feel that the cabin seemed slightly out of focus. The Efix shows that the focus was 1.22 m which would account for that.

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photographyexternal link

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Westchester County, NY
Nov 03, 2011 21:15 as a reply to Hawk's Feather's post |  #7

I am with Jerry, this image is out of focus. Sometimes that works, but I do not see it working here.
I also think there is "too much" in this image. Try to crop it some and maybe you can sharpen it some. Then some of the wb correction.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

rw609
372 posts
Joined May 2011
Jacksonville FL
Nov 03, 2011 22:46 |  #8

whit balance is off i think. its not workin for me. bring the yerllows down a bit

www.flickr.com/photos/​robwood609
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/robwoodphotograph​yexternal link
http://rwphotography.v​iewbook.com/album/stud​io#1external link

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Seattle, Biloxi, Waco
Nov 04, 2011 04:35 |  #9

I think this could be a really nice pic, but it needs some PP time. Definitely worth working with, and I would start with white balance to get rid of the green bias.

horsik
116 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 04, 2011 05:45 |  #10

Yes, yellow and green is quite overwhelming to me on this one, but the place looks magical, I hope you tried different angles and compositions, you walked around the hut and did at least 50 shots :) I would retouch label on the foot of the tree.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Nov 04, 2011 06:44 as a reply to horsik's post |  #11

Not really working for me. I agree about the white balance issue, and the subject is just much too centered IMO. It also has that "I was there" kind of feel to it...not a whole lot going on, so to speak.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Mtn4Mike
116 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Nov 04, 2011 09:52 as a reply to argyle's post |  #12

I would have stepped in enough to keep the tree branch from obscurring the chimney. If you don't have any other versions, cropping as others have suggested woudl help.

Mike
7D, 10-22mm | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 430EX II x2| 580EX II | Modifiers

cameronrinut
132 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Ogden, UT
Nov 04, 2011 12:43 |  #13

I would definately crop out the bottom and right and side between a 1/4 to 1/3 to really put the focus of the picture on the cabin and tree. the lower and right side are just dead space to me. Otherwise I really like it.

5D MKII-Gripped / T2i / 17-40f/4L / 28-300f/3.5-5L IS / 70-200f/4L / canon 2x II extender / Cheapo 600-1300 Telephoto+2x converter / carbon fiber kick A tripod / a partridge in a pear tree.
My Flickrexternal link

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Austin, TX
Nov 04, 2011 14:50 |  #14

Perhaps try these couple of things and see if they make it better:
1) Tone down the warm color a tad
2) Give a slight vignette near the 4 edges

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

ChristopherJ1968
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Mar 2008
New Carrollton, MD
Nov 04, 2011 15:53 |  #15

Just so you know, I shoot always in cloudy WB because I wish to have colorful prints. I have found that cloudy gives my better colors.

as for the post processing, I change ALWAYS my shots from RGB to Lab. then I go to layers, select the A layer and go to image/adjustments and move the right slider to any given number from 255 down to 200, and the left slider the number i selected say 35 (depends on the shot) I then go to B channel or layer and image/adjustments and do the same for channel B. Why? because adjusting color in RGB inherently messes up the shots contrast and lighting. so moving the shot into lab mode separates my luminosity channel from my color channels A/B and allows me to tinker with the shot.

as for the composition: I wanted that red branch in the way as it added a different color away from the HUGE swath of yellow and green. my only caveat to the shot but no biggie is, I didn't have a foreground item of interest to lead my viewers eyes in this shot but in this case, "does that actually matter here?"

my camera settings, I have a link in my signature area of a video from bryan peterson, a great popular photographer who shows us landscape photographers how to "preset" our cameras from optimum/acceptable focus from foreground to background . I used F22, and preset my focus for 3ft/1m depending on if my lens doesn't have a 3ft setting on it.

I believe this shot appears out of focus on the cabin due to Jpeg compression, I've gone back to verify the shot in TIF format and it was exceptionally clear. but I know shots lose alot of quality when we decrease their size, which, in this case was, Bicubic sharper (best for reduction)

I'll reopen the RAW and do less color work but keep the WB as is and probably should be ok overall let me work on it and I'll post the new version soon.

sponsored links

1,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
Miller Cabin Fall freely give C&C
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.