Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 03 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 22:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Early Morning Roundup - CC

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,446 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Trantor
Nov 03, 2011 22:49 |  #1

This was taken at Eaton's Ranch in Wyoming. The weather was changing, and it ended up storming that day. Rebel 350 with a 100-400 L lens all the way out to 400. I would guess that I was a quarter mile away.

The sky and everything is real. This did not require any post processing (except for compositional stuff - cropping to put the horizon put at lower 1/3rd and straightening, etc) to get it the way I like it. The colors, shading and everything else is out of camera.

Also included is a 100% crop, because I printed it at 24" wide, and the little tiny 900 pixel presentation here just doesn't do it justice. So, take a look at the crop, and imagine it that big.

Comment and Critique welcome and encouraged.

Rad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links
horsik
116 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 04, 2011 06:19 |  #2

I reckon it is exceptional capture. Isn't it a bit grainy on the sky? maybe try some noise reduction. But I like composition. Lucky horses do not overlay each other.

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Joined Jul 2007
LI, NY
Nov 04, 2011 09:05 |  #3

very nice

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

Mtn4Mike
116 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Nov 04, 2011 09:38 as a reply to NeutronBoy's post |  #4

"Early Morning Roundup" makes me think there should be more action, or intensity. The cowboy has his hat up like he's really pushing the "herd" but all the horses have there head down, like they're saying...whatever dude. It would have been great if the horses were running, imo.

Mike

Mike
7D, 10-22mm | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 430EX II x2| 580EX II | Modifiers

cameronrinut
132 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Ogden, UT
Nov 04, 2011 12:48 |  #5

try changing the angle of the horizon to be as flat as possible. I'd keep the same ratios but cut about a 1/5th of the right side off the image so the far right horse is very close to the side of the image. Maybe bump up the saturation a little to bring out the orange and blue of the sky. The silhouettes are nice.

5D MKII-Gripped / T2i / 17-40f/4L / 28-300f/3.5-5L IS / 70-200f/4L / canon 2x II extender / Cheapo 600-1300 Telephoto+2x converter / carbon fiber kick A tripod / a partridge in a pear tree.
My Flickrexternal link

Radtech1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,446 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Trantor
Nov 04, 2011 18:32 |  #6

horsik wrote in post #13352239external link
I reckon it is exceptional capture. Isn't it a bit grainy on the sky? maybe try some noise reduction. But I like composition. Lucky horses do not overlay each other.

Horisk,

Thanks for the input. I had actually tried some NR – Photoshop and NIK Define and ran into the same problem with both: 8 bit posterization. With this narrow range of colors, there is just no way around it. In a case of “lesser of two evils” I pursued the version without NR. I don’t really mind the noise that much, because the sky was somewhat mottled IRL, not a contiguous smear, so I think that the noise gives the sky some of the texture that was present at the time.

As to the horses not being overlaid, that’s this frame, not the one before or the one after.

NeutronBoy wrote in post #13352706external link
very nice

Neutonboy,

Thanks

Mtn4Mike wrote in post #13352856external link
"Early Morning Roundup" makes me think there should be more action, or intensity. The cowboy has his hat up like he's really pushing the "herd" but all the horses have there head down, like they're saying...whatever dude. It would have been great if the horses were running, imo.

Mike

Mike

Good point on the title, maybe “Mountain Meadow Morning” or something a little more contemplative. My wife and I go to Eaton's Ranchexternal link nearly every year. For a little more action, take a look at this thread herefor some previously posted shots from earlier trips that I was able to sell. What makes this shot special for me is the fantastic sky. It was absolutely breathtaking!

(As it turns out, a photog from the AAA Travel Magazine came in the afternoon before. I gave him some input as to what to expect, best shooting locations, etc. After the shooting the next morning, he was thrilled - just blown away, and I am all like, “Yeah, same ol’ same ol’ – I wonder what’s for breakfast.”)

cameronrinut wrote in post #13353741external link
try changing the angle of the horizon to be as flat as possible. I'd keep the same ratios but cut about a 1/5th of the right side off the image so the far right horse is very close to the side of the image. Maybe bump up the saturation a little to bring out the orange and blue of the sky. The silhouettes are nice.

Cameronrinut,

Thanks for the comments, I really like a good silhouette shot, and I think this qualifies. Good thought on the horizon. This is actually a little rotated from my source file, but I will try a bit more. As cropping some off the right, I will take a look at that too.

Thanks all,

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 04, 2011 19:20 |  #7

Very nice capture. Now turn it into a B&W and see how that looks.

Gear List

Mtn4Mike
116 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Nov 07, 2011 10:23 |  #8

Radtech1 wrote in post #13355325external link
Mike

Good point on the title, maybe “Mountain Meadow Morning” or something a little more contemplative. My wife and I go to Eaton's Ranchexternal link nearly every year. For a little more action, take a look at this thread herefor some previously posted shots from earlier trips that I was able to sell. What makes this shot special for me is the fantastic sky. It was absolutely breathtaking!

(As it turns out, a photog from the AAA Travel Magazine came in the afternoon before. I gave him some input as to what to expect, best shooting locations, etc. After the shooting the next morning, he was thrilled - just blown away, and I am all like, “Yeah, same ol’ same ol’ – I wonder what’s for breakfast.”)
Rad

Rad, thanks for that link, I really like those!

Mike
7D, 10-22mm | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 430EX II x2| 580EX II | Modifiers

sponsored links

1,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Early Morning Roundup - CC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.