Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of November 2011 (Wed)   #991
Bookmarks

Default Re: 3D (Stereo Photography)

I agree that pseudo 3D is inferior to real 3D. My post was just to let forum members see what a typical conversion looks like. I am impressed that you can produce a pseudo-3D image from a single 2D image instantly without hours of PS depth shading, etc. It only whetted my appetite to buy a Fuji W3.

Cheers
Bookmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of November 2011 (Sat)   #992
FotOz

So Bookmarks.
We purchased that W3 yet?
Don't what they're selling for in the UK, but here in Oz you can pick one up for under $AU200.
That's half the original RRP.
Pretty soon they'll be GIVING them away.
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.
FotOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2011 (Mon)   #993
Bookmarks

I have had the W3 for a few weeks now. It was about $300 US. I know the price fluctuates on this camera. It went for around $200 US earlier this year.

Bookmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of March 2012 (Fri)   #994
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post

My first post (that I can remember) in this sub-forum, but obviously not the big forum.

I have always loved stereographic images, but I have trouble with the cross-eye thing (and it is getting harder to even try) and because my eyes are off slightly from normal in spectrum the red/green (or cyan) glasses almost never work well.

But optics based stereo or polarized stereo I can do with no problem and have for over 30 years with no problem, in fact buried somewhere in 'stuff' collection is a set of stereo viewing optics (basically two lenses in metal with little legs on each side). I am a retired USAF Imagery Analyst and we shot a lot of stereo film stills during my career, but with digital cameras, stereo is almost forgotten. Until the past couple of years, you needed extremely expensive equipment to view stereo digital images, even the USAF could not afford a lot of those, so didn't.

So since the stereo optics option are basically not practical in the digital age I had given up on Stereo viewing.... Until this past year when I saw a 3D movie with polarized glasses (no problem) and then getting a new laptop with 3D monitor with polarized glasses. Being able to see Stereo on the laptop is so much like how it was for most of my USAF career that I spent about $800 to create a stereo camera setup. It would have been $1600, but I already had one T3i (I got it for the video and the flip screen) and lots of lenses.

So got a second T3i, a 50/1.8 and a dual camera mounting bracket and some accessories for hopefully triggering the cameras at the same time. I am hoping the color through the 50/1.8 is not too far off from my 50/1.4. It was the lowest cost option for fixed lenses and I knew it would be a hassle to set the focal length the same on the kit lens if I used those on both cameras.

I am currently waiting on the battery for the second T3i to charge and then off to see if this setup works as desired.

I have some software that will create MPO files which the 3D monitor will recognize and in tests with my 1DsMkIII (doing about a 6" side step) it worked great [must remember step to the right ]

If the dual camera setup works well, then I am going to see about maybe (if I can get processing software at a reasonable price) to do some 3D video. But in the meantime, being able to shoot the models in both 2D and 3D is going to be fun. I will attempt to post a couple of red/green versions either here or in the Glamour section (since that is mostly what I take usually) depending on the amount of clothing.

However, if anyone knows a forum (or section) where I can post some MPO formatted Stereo shots for critic, please let me know.

Also, if you know of a better polarized stereo format for the images then MPO that will work with the Nvidia Graphics cards, please let me know that also.

I so missed looking at Stereo this will be fun.

Thanks,
http://www.longwatcher.com/photoequipment.htm
Longwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2012 (Sat)   #995
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post

And today's lessons in 3D still photography.

1. The sync cord goes on the left camera (or at least the lack of it seemed like that was what was causing the camera to miss a couple of shots and thus cause me extra work finding the aligning images. I was off by about 15 images by the end of the shoot.

2. I need to play with depth of field more, the 3D image seems to have more depth of field at least relative to the program I am using.

3. Several of what I thought were horrible shots, turned out to be very cool in 3D.

4. I must remember shiny objects reflect incidental light way more then my model does. Given the needed shutter of 1/4, I was relying on the strobes to freeze the action, however I note the shiny things picked up the light from the other room way too easily and showed movement when the model looked frozen.

5. I need to think slightly differently when thinking for 3D then for 2D.

6. I can already tell Stereo images of models are going to be fun.

Now if I can just make some money at it.

7. And almost forgot: The other lesson is, I have been using my 1DsMkIII with its full frame sensor for so long, I had forgotten all about that 1.6x factor and a 50mm lens is a wee bit long for my not so long studio if I want full length 3D.
http://www.longwatcher.com/photoequipment.htm

Last edited by Longwatcher : 3rd of March 2012 (Sat) at 22:17. Reason: Forgot something
Longwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of December 2012 (Tue)   #996
FotOz

It's a bit sad to see this thread fall by the wayside to an extent, and nobody is as sad as me.
However I'm going to do my best to revive it and make regular contributions, given the fact I started it all those years ago and it flourished for a good while.

My renewed interest is as the result of a number of factors.

1. I've finally decided to give up wedding and general commercial photography after 40+ years of making pocket money and bringing the pleasure of memories to people.
2. Now being semi-retired and doing a lot more photography for myself I feel the need to share - again.
3. I acquired a new iPhone5 and an iPad3 recently and am blown away by the applications available that revolve around 3D photography, and every day seems to bring more. Technology - where to next?
4. My departure from commercial photography has encouraged me back to teaching photography to small groups, and of late I've been approached by friends, acquaintances and others who have asked me to revive that. So I will.

I think they are enough reasons to get back in to it.

So, for 2013 it's onwards and upwards.

I hope everybody is having a relaxing Christmas break and looking forward to next year - photographically and otherwise.

Cheers from The Great Southern Land.
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.
Old 25th of December 2012 (Tue)   #997
xa-coupe

Good to see you have the enthusiasm Steve, I have lost the 3D mojo as I am the only one in my acquaintances that likes it.
I got an ipad yesterday so I'll look into the 3d apps and see what's out there.
www.missingbits.com .... a work in progress !
xa-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of December 2012 (Wed)   #998
FotOz

xa-coupe.
Love the wheels!
For 3D apps, just search '3D'.
That'll bring up heaps of 'em.
If you'd like some specifics, PM me.
Cheers.
Old 26th of December 2012 (Wed)   #999
lazer-jock
Don't mess

Thread revival contribution from this past summer:

LINK

Sequoia from Yosemite...

My Gear List
lazer-jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of December 2012 (Wed)   #1000
thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Woohoo! I'm glad to see this thread making a come-back!
thomascanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of December 2012 (Wed)   #1001
FotOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascanty View Post
Woohoo! I'm glad to see this thread making a come-back!
Aw - come one Lonnie.
You coulda posted a pic!
Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #1002
thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotOz View Post
Aw - come one Lonnie.
You coulda posted a pic!
Not a 3D one. I don't have any of those that I haven't already posted.
thomascanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #1003
FotOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascanty View Post
Not a 3D one. I don't have any of those that I haven't already posted.
No worries.
I will however give you a prize for the 1,000th post in this thread.
Old 28th of December 2012 (Fri)   #1004
FotOz

Okay - time for the revival.
Posting a couple of recents shots.
The X-view is a wetlands in Forbes in NSW and the anaglyph was taken at my dad's funeral service in August this year.
Yep - I take my camera everywhere!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wetlands.jpg (105.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg funeral.jpg (65.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 4th of January 2013 (Fri)   #1005
lazer-jock
Don't mess

Half Dome

My Gear List
lazer-jock is offline   Reply With Quote