Go with the dedicated video system
28.6%
Go with the SLR which can shoot video
42.9%
Not sure
4.8%
I just wanted to vote in a poll
23.8%

19 voters, 21 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS

S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I own a lot of L glass and three SLRs. I do not own an SLR body which can shoot video, yet.

Now that my son and nephew have hit a certain age, that needs to change, as video, not stills, are dominate forms for recruiting packages.

The primary sports are Ice Hockey and Lacrosse. The LAX may be at night. Hockey is indoors in non NCAA lighting. LAX is both HS and NCAA.

I think my choices are putting another SLR body in play which can shoot video, or a 'pro' entry level video solution.

So, I would like to hear from members who have experience with both systems, or who fully evaluated both systems and made a choice.

For this thread, think of a budget under $5k

If you suggest a 'pro' video solution pls be pretty specific. When I say 'pro' I think of this link as the starting point http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ras/ci/16763/N/4256​818817external link

Thx in advance, gang.

Post #1, Nov 20, 2011 19:18:32

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link
[SIZE=2]:cool:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
S.Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I noticed that lensrentals.com has video gear. So, looks like I will rent before I buy. Feel free to suggest more than one system to try.

Post #2, Nov 20, 2011 19:53:08

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,377 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have extensively used all levels of "pro" video cameras and DSLRs from cheap ones like you linked to very high end six figure cinema cameras. For your application of shooting sports you should seriously consider a real video camera. With a DSLR, you will have a very hard time focusing and getting good shots of someone running around playing ice hockey. The DSLRs are better at set shots where you can rehearse and repeat it if necessary. Consider renting and try before you buy.

Post #3, Nov 20, 2011 20:13:43

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

www.teddysmithstudio.comexternal link

S.Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Is a $5K budget unrealistically low?

Post #4, Nov 20, 2011 20:22:42

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

skwirnmn
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2011
1,062 posts
OC California
[MORE/SHARE]

panasonic hmc150
otherwise if you're thinkin' dslr's 60D is the best for sports. articulating screen and 720 60p.

edit: slap on a 70-200 2.8 and you're golden. it'll take some time to learn how to focus well, but totally doable.

Post #5, Nov 20, 2011 20:33:45

sponsored links
aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,377 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Not too low. Any of those Canon camcorders you linked to will be fine for shooting your kids playing sports. Obviously you can't use your L glass, but L glass won't be that good for sports video anyway unless you have superman focusing skills.

Post #6, Nov 20, 2011 20:34:29

Teddy Smith, SOC

S.Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

The terminology around the systems makes comparison difficult.

I know I need 400MM of reach, but knowing which particular system can deliver that well is not easy.

Catch with renting is that could cost a solid % of buying.

Too bad I live in oblivion when it comes to people shooting pro vid.

Post #7, Nov 20, 2011 20:52:12

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,334 posts
Montreal, QC
[MORE/SHARE]

Alright - time to break it to you.

If you plan on shooting video for recruiting purposes, you do NOT want a shallow DOF DSLR. I shot video for a certain top 20 school in the country for football and I refused to shoot action video with DSLR even when I rigged my DSLR up on a tripod with a follow focus because the cutting and action is too damn fast. 'Oh you can do it if you are adept at shooting DSLR'... duh, but its an unnecessary problem and you aren't going to be watching this video for aesthetics, but rather for content. Get the content - landing focus shouldn't be the priority... this isn't shooting film.

If you mentioned $5k, there are a TON of options that are extremely solid options. If I had right now I would choose either the XF105 (XF100 for your purposes). OR the HXR-NX70U for all purpose, all weather conditions, high range camcorder. If your boy has a great game, but its drizzling and you get antsy about the XF100 and dont have a rain jacket... the NX70U is weather sealed (imagine 1D body sealing+ on a camcorder... its a jungle cam).

I have shot video for aspiring pros and high profile college athletes. If you want specific advice just send me a PM. Now, my personal preference would be things along the lines of JVC HM700U for the good lens and form factor. Or even better... PMW-350K XDCAMs... but thats outside your budget and along the lines of pure professional tools in sports broadcasting which is what I LOVE to shoot with.

For under your budget - Sony HXR-N70U
For around your budget - Canon XF100
For a tiny bit over your budget - JVC HM-700U

Post #8, Nov 20, 2011 21:01:32

Drozz119
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,340 posts
Pittsburgh, Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

5k is more than enough! I've edited a bunch of recruiting videos and the footage I've been given has always been terrible. It just doesn't matter. Like some of the other posters said.. It's about performance/content. Also, you don't need a 400mm lens. You don't want to shoot tight. They want to see the action and your son's reaction to the flow of the game.

The videos I liked the best covered about 1/2 to a 1/4 of the field and had smooth pans.

Post #9, Nov 20, 2011 21:19:24

ShoFilmsexternal link
gear

S.Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Kewl. Perfect.

I noticed that video for recruiting is a specialty. It has pricing to match. Unlike stills, a solid, edited video cannot just be swiped, because capturing it and putting it together is not so simple.

Video is the one thing people seem to actually offer real money for. Interesting.

Post #10, Nov 20, 2011 21:20:04

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,377 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If you really wanted to think outside the box consider an old school shoulder mount standard def broadcast camera with a high end Fujinon lens. I bet you can find one of those on eBay for under $5k. Maybe a dvcpro camera. Some of them have widescreen 480p settings which would look great.

Post #11, Nov 20, 2011 21:57:54

Teddy Smith, SOC

sponsored links
skwirnmn
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2011
1,062 posts
OC California
[MORE/SHARE]

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #13428451external link
Alright - time to break it to you.

For under your budget - Sony HXR-N70U
For around your budget - Canon XF100
For a tiny bit over your budget - JVC HM-700U

i'm not questioning your ability to provide advice to the OP.. nor do i want to question your knowledge on these video camera's. so what i am saying here is purely speculation, and of coarse, i mean no harm by it as you are a much more respected member of this forum.

if you've ever touched an HXR-N700 you'd know this is possibly the worst camera to shoot sports with. as the OP stated, he plans on shooting hockey, and lax, which means he will be zooming all the time. While the HXR-N700 is an amazing camera, the zoom functionality is terrible.. and filming with a dslr camera is far better for sports than dealing with it's zoom.

http://vimeo.com/31818​978external link

While that video has plenty of flaws, it was filmed with a 60d and 70-200 and produces a better picture for that sport than the sony camcorder would have that you recommended.

Post #12, Nov 20, 2011 23:58:07

Kiwimochi
Joined Dec 2010
238 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

@skwirnmn: wow..manual focusing with DSLR camera plus zoom for fast sport it better than using a dedicate video camera? you're super. :)

to OP, rent Canon XF105, try it out. Myself, i get rid of 5D mk ii and using Sony FS-100 nowadays. Everything is manual focus. I can mix up all the Canon/Nikon/Zeiss .CP2 and PL mount to it.

Post #13, Nov 21, 2011 00:07:35

S.Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

aroundlsu wrote in post #13428786external link
If you really wanted to think outside the box consider an old school shoulder mount standard def broadcast camera with a high end Fujinon lens. I bet you can find one of those on eBay for under $5k. Maybe a dvcpro camera. Some of them have widescreen 480p settings which would look great.

I wish I knew what that meant!

What is a DVCPRO, and can I obtain the result as a digital file?

Post #14, Nov 21, 2011 00:07:47

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

DVCPro is a tape-based system...

I'd avoid it like the plague.

So, are you planning on covering the entire game or contract to shoot specific players for personal highlight reels? If it's the latter, from where do you intend to shoot?

Post #15, Nov 21, 2011 00:12:18

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
SLR with vid or 'PRO' video system?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES