Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2011 (Monday) 17:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is 1d mkiii better than 5d2?

1kerry
304 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2011 17:42 |  #1

Hi guys, hope you can help me make a decision...I have been offered a 1dmk3 in like new condition, right now Im using the 5d2 mainly for weddings...

If I switch cameras, how would you consider this, aN UPGRADE, DOWNGRADE OR SIDEGRADE?? Features I DO care are AF and ISO performance, really dont care about BIG MP or VIDEO.

thanks!

Canon 5D MKII / Canon 60D / 35 f1.4L / 24-105 f4L IS / 15 f2.8 fishy / 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS / 85 f1.8 / 50 f1.4 and my next lens will be a 135 F2.0L FB: http://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=28608​&page=1912

sponsored links
Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 05, 2011 17:48 |  #2

if you care about AF more than MP then switch or add it.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
9,938 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 05, 2011 17:53 |  #3

On the center point 5D2 has the 1DMKIII beat. I also think the 5d files look better but not a whole heck of a lot. AF system,MarkIII wins hands down no contest. Ability to lock focus in low light,,center point goes to 5d2, ability to lock on anything but center point, MarkIII hands down. I think the Mark111 compliments a 5D2 very well and that's why we use it. I would not call it an upgrade/downgrade. I would call it a perfect companion to a 5D2. If i had to choose one over the other for wedding work, i would always go full frame first but the markIII files look very very nice. Best of all it allows your lens lineup to do different things due to FOV

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

1kerry
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2011 18:02 |  #4

thanks....the crop factor is another point that relly doesnt matter to me...sad story is I need to choose 1 over the other...decisions decisions..

Canon 5D MKII / Canon 60D / 35 f1.4L / 24-105 f4L IS / 15 f2.8 fishy / 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS / 85 f1.8 / 50 f1.4 and my next lens will be a 135 F2.0L FB: http://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=28608​&page=1912

roywsmith
24 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2011 18:10 |  #5

The 1d mkiii has a 1.3x crop sensor. I would miss the loss of some wide angle coverage from that.
Roy

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 05, 2011 18:12 |  #6

I have both the 1D3 and 5D2. If I have to choose only one, I would choose 5D2. The reason is that I like the bigger file of the 5D2. I can shoot loosely and crop more later. I like the files from 1D3 and able to push in PS a lot more then the 5D2 but I like to be able to crop more. Beside for wedding, AF for 5D2 work great. In situation where the 5D2 was having problem, I found that I also have problem with my 1D3 AF(really dark area). GL with your decision.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2011 18:24 |  #7

I have both, too, an as drive_75, if I only could choose one, I'd go with the 5D II. IMO, the 5D II files contain a lot more detail.

The 1D Mk III is really a great sports camera, but that isn't something I do a lot. I also like the fact a lot that I can shoot the 100-400L with extender and still have good AF, and that teh 85L has an almost ideal AoV on the 1D Mk III - these are the two lenses I use most on it IOW :D. If it wasn't for that, I would have sold it already. Great camera, however, without a doubt.

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 05, 2011 18:38 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

AF - 1 series, IQ/MP - 5D2

Why not get a 1DII and and rock dual bodies.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
9,938 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 05, 2011 18:52 as a reply to  @ wfarrell4's post |  #9

File size would not be a concern to me. We shoot 90% of our weddings in Mraw. 10mps on the markIII is plenty. Unless he is printing larger than 30x40, 10mps gets it done very well. It really depends on what the Op is going to use this camera for. If he is doing mostly portrait work, no Brainer 5d2. But. if its for all kinds of work plus portrait work, then i think Mark111 gets the nod. Too bad you cant get both. You will need to evaluate what you are going to shoot the most and make the call.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 05, 2011 19:06 |  #10

Tough call really. If you do a lot of off-center AF with your camera and it's bugging you, the 1D3 will likely act better. That's one thing I disliked about my former 5D2 and my 5Dc now - off-center AF can be risky at times and let you down at the WRONG time.

1D3 is more finicky with exposures and metering, IMO, so it's a crap shoot. Frankly, I think the 1D3 with something like a 24-70 would be an awesome event setup, as many photogs typically stick to around 35mm as their widest.

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

1kerry
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2011 22:15 |  #11

Im pretty happy with the 5d2 overall performance, really, but since I was offered this camera (1dmk3) Im curious to know how this little monster reacts under low light situation (wedding receptions) specifically AF and ISO performance.....but if Im gonna get no equal or better IQ performance, I may pass on it..

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,726 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 06, 2011 00:16 |  #12

For the weddings you shoot the 5D2 is the better body. The wider FOV and the better high ISO performance are simply more important for wedding shoots than the superior off-center AF and FPS of the 1D3.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

zhang8865
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 06, 2011 01:01 |  #13

I am pretty much satisfied with 5D2. The central point focus is great.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
9,938 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 06, 2011 06:40 |  #14

1kerry wrote in post #13501434 (external link)
Im pretty happy with the 5d2 overall performance, really, but since I was offered this camera (1dmk3) Im curious to know how this little monster reacts under low light situation (wedding receptions) specifically AF and ISO performance.....but if Im gonna get no equal or better IQ performance, I may pass on it..

You wont loose anything on IQ with the MKIII in low light. All depends on how bad you want to move off the center point. Low light,, MkIII is killer and all the points hit. Low light 5D2 is killer on center point only...forget the outer points. Maybe a smidgen more noise with the MKIII @ 3200 but definitely nothing that a slight adjustment in LR would not handle. Its a really tough call. We had 2 5d2's and the MKIII. Puchased a 1DMKIV. Sold a 5D2, kept the MKIII. MKIV solves your problem. It blows both away.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,025 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 06, 2011 07:13 |  #15

If you can only keep one, then keep the 5DII. Like mike said, better yet the 1d4 as it is better than both. Also more expensive.

Jason

sponsored links

1,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
is 1d mkiii better than 5d2?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.