Thread started 09 Mar 2005 (Wednesday) 18:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

darthfocus
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2006
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote:
I'm looking at the Stroboframe Camera Flip. I have a 20D with the BG-E2 battery/grip adapter. Any of you folks have this combination? I would appreciate comments.

Yes I have these items but can't really use the 20d and grip with this bracket as you have to unscrew the camera to change the batteries. This bracket is better used without the grip and comes with an anti twist plate. Its a great little bracket, it feels a little shakey but it's still nice and compact.

Post #16, Apr 01, 2006 00:59:08 as a reply to post 444059

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
darthfocus
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2006
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote:
MANY thanks. The fella at a local camera store said it would work. I'm with you now looking at the Pro T/Press T. Anybody help us with first-hand information?

The pro T is a bigger version of the press T... Press for press photogs who need to be more stealthy and nimble... pro T for wedding guys or photogs that need larger cameras to compensate for whatever. Some think the pro T gives better seperation and it does but who cares? We usually bouce this anyway right? And if you are shooting straight on its really fine... go with the press T, it's a great bracket for a 20d/grip... just get the right anti twist plate.. you will need it. Its a much bigger headache trying to get TTL work than the bracket... try using auto thyrister strobe instead, its more accurate.

Post #17, Apr 01, 2006 01:06:17 as a reply to post 445027

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,387 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote:
I'm looking at the Stroboframe Camera Flip. I have a 20D with the BG-E2 battery/grip adapter. Any of you folks have this combination? I would appreciate comments.

Skip, I have a Stroboframe Camera Flip and love it. I use it with a 20D but I do not think it will work with the grip adapter. I don't think it is high enough and not adjustable. I got mine at B&H - best price I could find.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ghType=categoryNavi​gationexternal link

Post #18, Apr 01, 2006 01:53:59 as a reply to post 444059

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

DaveG
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
2,040 posts
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

darthfocus wrote:
The pro T is a bigger version of the press T... Press for press photogs who need to be more stealthy and nimble... pro T for wedding guys or photogs that need larger cameras to compensate for whatever. Some think the pro T gives better seperation and it does but who cares? We usually bouce this anyway right? And if you are shooting straight on its really fine... go with the press T, it's a great bracket for a 20d/grip... just get the right anti twist plate.. you will need it. Its a much bigger headache trying to get TTL work than the bracket... try using auto thyrister strobe instead, its more accurate.

The whole point of a bracket is to get the flash directly above the lens in both the horizontal and vertical shooting position. With a 10D/20D/5D and their respective vertical grips the Press-T WILL NOT hold the flash over the len in the vertical shooting position, its arm is too short. Subsequently a Press-T is hardly a Great Bracket for any of these camera/grips.

From my experience bouncing isn't always possible (ten metre ceilings?) so my bracket must give me the shadowless verticals even when the flash is pointed directly at the subject. Without this capability I'm just kidding myself that the bracket has some function, and so is a press shooter.

With the 20D and E-TTl 2 the flash automation is OK. It might require a tweak of exposure compensation but it's miles beyond E-TTL. I think that an automatic flash will work well and something like a Vivitar 283/285 is a good choice. But a 550/580 is the first step on the road to Canon wireless and that's something that you can't do with an Automatic flash. Effortless fill flash is also a benefit of a TTL flash. I set the ambient light with the camera, turn on the flash and pretty much forget about it. As I (or the camera) change apertures it will compensate. With an Automatic flash if I've selected f8 on the flash, then the aperture on the camera had better be f8!

By the way when you take a flash picture the capacitor that has stored the power dumps it to the flash tube. On full manual all of that power is sent to the flash tube. On automatic settings the flash may require only a small part of the capacitors stored power and rather than dumping it the auto thyrister circuit returns it to the capacitor. This saves battery power and improves recycle times. I had a Strobonar Automatic flash without the thyrister and when I used f2.8 it would dump the extra power with a noise that sounded like a snapping whip! In any case Automatic flashes like a Vivitar 283 has that auto thyrister circuitry but so does just about EVERY camera mounted flash made these days. Auto Thyrister was the New Great Thing in about 1976 or so and there's a good chance that an old flash has Auto Thyrister on the front of the flash the same way that a new car might have 4WD under the model name. But it's not something that differentiates an Automatic flash from a TTL type.

Post #19, Apr 01, 2006 05:37:21 as a reply to darthfocus's post 4 hours earlier.

"There's never time to do it right. But there's always time to do it over."
Canon 5D, 50D; 16-35 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro, 70-200 f2.8L, 300mm f2.8L IS.

kepople
Joined Mar 2006
295 posts
Rockwall, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there a bracket that will work with the 20d and the battery grip?
Kirby

Post #20, Apr 01, 2006 16:16:52

Canon 5D Mark II (Gripped) Canon 20D Rebel XT IR Converted Canon 16-35 2.8L Canon 24-105 4L Canon 100 2.8L Macro Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO Sigma 80-400 5.6 APO DG EX Lensbaby 2.0 430EX2 580EX Canon S95, Panasonic LX3

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DaveG
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
2,040 posts
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

Sure. The Stoboframe Pro-T and the Stroboframe RL. I'm sure there are more but I own those two and I know that they work just fine.

Post #21, Apr 01, 2006 21:31:34

"There's never time to do it right. But there's always time to do it over."
Canon 5D, 50D; 16-35 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro, 70-200 f2.8L, 300mm f2.8L IS.

Icepirate
Joined May 2005
27 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought the press-t for use on my 350d last fall. While I am generally happy with the bracket, using it on the 350d with the bg-e3 grip and a 580ex, in vertical format the flash is still 2-4 mm off center of lens. I just purchased the 30d and with the increased camera size (I dont yet have a bg-e2 to test), I am confident that there is absolutely NO WAY the press-t will give acceptable results with this combination. I plan on using the press-t for the 350d exclusively and getting a Pro-t for the 30d.

Post #22, Apr 01, 2006 23:31:19 as a reply to DaveG's post 1 hour earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Bracket for 20D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES