Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Pets Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of December 2011 (Tue)   #16
JamieMc83

Default Re: Need a Super Fast lens for Poorly lit arenas

Now if I shoot down area. *shooting the length of the area*
They could be up 30 - 50 feet away depending on arena size.
The arenas are oval.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of December 2011 (Tue)   #17
JamieMc83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Thats reportedly a great lens. Provided they dont have the same focusing issues that the 50's do, I would want to know how quickly they focus. The canon 1.8 is sharp and fast focusing.
I noticed you mentioned the 50mm 1.4.
I have that lens, and someone recently suggested buying another one to use for the horse shows.
Old 13th of December 2011 (Tue)   #18
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Horse show images from a Canon 60D and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX II lens.

Focal Length: 154.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 6400

Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 2500

The combination of camera and lens seems to have worked.
DC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of December 2011 (Wed)   #19
matonanjin
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMc83 View Post
I am looking for a super fast lens to use when shooting horse shows in poorly lit indoor arenas. Now I am a big fan of fixed lenses but I am aware that zooms will probably be a better choice here.
Actually, I disagree and I'm not quite sure why you say this. First off, when you say "fixed lenses" I assume you mean primes. Secondly, it depends entirely what you are shooting whether or not you need primes or zooms. Thirdly, it depends on how poorly lit. And lastly, are you shooting with strobes or not not?

Taking the lastly first, since you ask about poorly lit arenas I am going to assume you are going to be shooting completely (un)available light. But if you want to go to my blog I do have one post about my light system for horse shows. Go to the Febr 13 post called "Central Plain Reining Horse Association Futurity Show".

But to your comment I don't know why you say zooms would be better. It depends entirely what you are shooting. Are they going to be western shows or hunter/jumpers? Are you going to be in the center of the arena shooting rail horses? Or are you going to be shooting something like team ropers where you have to use a zoom? What you shoot will dictate what tool you have to use.

Lot's of guys will use and recommend the 70-200 F/2.8L. It is a great lens and I have used it. But for whatever reason it seems the arenas I shoot aren't even light enough that I can shoot at 2.8 at really high ISO. Those rare shows where I can't use strobes I almost always end up going to an F/2.0 prime. My favorite is my 100 F/2. It is sharp, fast focusing and for you to look at, reasonably priced. Sometimes I can't get close enough and before the season starts next year I am going to invest in a 135 F/2.0L.

I haven't used the Sigma 85 1.4 but have heard great things about it. The issue that you will run into with it is that at 1.4 you are going to have a razor thin DOF. Even at 2.0 I have to be really careful about that. With rail horses from the side you may be ok. But with something like reining horses or H/J's from the front diagonal I have to be really careful about nailing the focus point or the rider's face will be OOF.

HTH
matonanjin is offline   Reply With Quote