FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 21 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 01:16   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

supernova74
Joined Jan 2010
951 posts
Adelaide, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I shoot, unpaid, for an on line publication. When I upload my pics I watermark them. Now, a band I shot a few nights ago has taken one of pics, cropped my watermark out and are using it as their Facebook page pic. Now, I don't mind people using my pics, but a bit of a thanks wouldn't go astray.

Post #1, Dec 21, 2011 01:16:26

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
nuffi
Joined Nov 2008
926 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

supernova74 wrote in post #13577508external link
I shoot, unpaid, for an on line publication. When I upload my pics I watermark them. Now, a band I shot a few nights ago has taken one of pics, cropped my watermark out and are using it as their Facebook page pic. Now, I don't mind people using my pics, but a bit of a thanks wouldn't go astray.

<devil's advocate>

How would they know who to thank? Do they have your number? Do they know you at all, or were you just some schmo that decided to head down to take pics of their gig?

Did they know you were coming?

Did they give you express permission to take these photos?

Are you aware of the copyright laws involving the recording of public performances in your state? (It's a pretty common thing that the copyright of any photo is owned by the photographer, but it's also pretty common that the recording of public performance copyright law is rather murky)

</advocate>

Perhaps you could turn it around - send them a friendly message letting them know that cropping out your logo is taboo, but they're welcome to use the image if they want, and you'd be keen to do a real shoot with them in the future....

Post #2, Dec 21, 2011 01:28:59

supernova74
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
951 posts
Adelaide, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Point 1: The original pic had my water mark. In the digital age, not hard to google and find who you need to thank. Also i posted my pics on their face book page, watermarked, so they have a direct link to my page.
Point 2: No they dont know me, but with armed with a 5d and 70-200, i wouldnt have thought they would have though i was just some "schmo" taking pics of their gig, which leads me to point 3:
Point 3: Yes, they knew i was coming, they apporved my entry.
Point 4: Yes i am aware of copyright laws in my country.

Post #3, Dec 21, 2011 02:44:59

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebookexternal link

nuffi
Joined Nov 2008
926 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

supernova74 wrote in post #13577672external link
Point 1: The original pic had my water mark. In the digital age, not hard to google and find who you need to thank. Also i posted my pics on their face book page, watermarked, so they have a direct link to my page.
Point 2: No they dont know me, but with armed with a 5d and 70-200, i wouldnt have thought they would have though i was just some "schmo" taking pics of their gig, which leads me to point 3:
Point 3: Yes, they knew i was coming, they apporved my entry.
Point 4: Yes i am aware of copyright laws in my country.

(I should preface that I hope I didn't upset you with my response. I am really on your side here, but figure I should look at it from their point of view)

Point 1 response: People are way too lazy to do that sort of thing. In the realms of netiquette it's barely even considered rude. Personally, I am one fo those people who try to apply real world rules of conduct to my online interactions, but I am by far in a minority when it comes to that sort of thihng.

Point 2: Just because you have way cool high end gear doesn't make you any more professional in the eyes of a band. It's quite possible that they don't even recognize the gear you carry around on the night of a shoot.

Point 3: Did they know some anonymous guy was going to show up to shoot, did someone in the band actually talk to you on the phone, or meet you in person..? All three are very different levels of "knowing you"... And in any of those cases they might have thought they were giving permission to shoot with the tacit agreement that they'd get to use the shots.

Point 4: Cool, want to explain them to me with regards to the shooting of a performance? Does it change between a rock show, a pub gig or a theatre show?

Post #4, Dec 21, 2011 03:14:32

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

supernova74 wrote in post #13577508external link

The first thing is you have to make an agreement on written paper. If they break the agreement, then you have the right to insist that they remove the photo that has no watermark on it.

Post #5, Dec 21, 2011 03:18:56

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
supernova74
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
951 posts
Adelaide, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Nah you didn't upset me :) all good. Thanks for yours points of view. And 400d, I shoot bands every weekend, haven't even considered getting them to sign papers. I never really meet them. Turn up, shoot, go home.

Post #6, Dec 21, 2011 04:27:09

Mark
Facebookexternal link

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

supernova74 wrote in post #13577846external link
Nah you didn't upset me :) all good. Thanks for yours points of view. And 400d, I shoot bands every weekend, haven't even considered getting them to sign papers. I never really meet them. Turn up, shoot, go home.

Well there is the problem, you have to advertise your biz, you can't have bands putting their own rules to your photos, can you? This is the same thing with Wedding photos

Post #7, Dec 21, 2011 05:33:18

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Copyright laws vary from country to country, but in every country I know of, the band is violating your copyright…

I'd send them a (nice or not, depending on what you want) message that they cannot use your image with the watermark cropped of.
It's up to you to decide what they can do…

If it were my image, and I'd suspect they know what they are doing, I'd send a bill and /or a C&Dexternal link

Post #8, Dec 22, 2011 11:50:32

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

supernova74
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
951 posts
Adelaide, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Rene. Good advice.

Post #9, Dec 22, 2011 19:00:09

Mark
Facebookexternal link

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,427 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

nuffi wrote in post #13577711external link
Point 2: Just because you have way cool high end gear doesn't make you any more professional in the eyes of a band. It's quite possible that they don't even recognize the gear you carry around on the night of a shoot.

I'll disagree with that.

Without exception, when a band sees my camera, in a sea of people using cell phones and point-n-shoots, in their eyes I'm the professional. After the gig, I'm the guy they come to talk to about getting images, not the guy with the iPhone...

Post #10, Dec 24, 2011 13:27:37

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your thoughts on this situation.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES